Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

The Van is a 1990 Westy, 2.1 auto, stock. I have no history on the exhaust. The muffler is crumbling, there is a leak between elbow collector and J pipe. I'm considering the GoWesty stainless steel exhaust. Question : should I throw in an new cat converter, or does mine still look OK ?

The thing is I'm having the work done by a garage. So I need to order all the stuff before the cat converter is taken apart and we can have a look at it.

(Dampness on flanges is penetrant I sprayed to ease removal by mechanic)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

You need to look inside it.

You look through it and if the honeycomb pattern is all intact it should be good.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

If I was replacing the exhaust system, I would include a new cat. When they fail, you can get some real drivability problems. Plus you'd be blowing chunks of media into your new muffler. When it is removed, if it is intact, you can list it for sale here.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

As you can tell from the comments - no way to judge from a photo. Possibly also hard to judge looking down the barrel of one unless damage/failure has already occurred.

At the very least I would replace the bolts at both ends but a new one is tempting.

Seems unlikely to me that anyone would buy a used converter but people do pick strange places to save money.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

Thanks folks

I'll just spend the extra $$ and get a new one, for peace of mind and cleaner air.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

heed my mistake.... don't buy the Walker cat replacement

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703322&highlight=

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Thanks folks

I'll just spend the extra $$ and get a new one, for peace of mind and cleaner air.

No, thank you!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

Mine looks far, far worse than yours on the outside and it still passes emissions. Surprised So, yeah, as said, the exterior is not an indicator of what the interior is like.

When it comes time to replace the cat, the entire exhaust system on mine will have to be replaced because there's no way any of the bolts are coming undone. If going the other direction, I'd agree, just replace the cat so that everything, without any question, is nice and new. Smile
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Thanks folks

the other aspect is that it is quite a bit safer from an asphyxiation standpoint to be running a CAT. a working CAT allows very little carbon monoxide to exit the tail pipe and whether idling in a garage or driving with the hatch open slightly, your chance of CO poisoning is greatly reduced.

i tried 'humanely' killing a woodchuck one time by running a hose from my 94 Buick V6 into a cardboard box containing said varmint. after 10 minutes, just had a hot, mad, woodchuck. realizing it was the CAT in action, i routed the exhaust from our 5hp rototiller and within 30 seconds the deed was done.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

Even if the cat media inside is intact there is no way of knowing that it is doing it's job without a smog check. Only when the catastrophic failure of the media inside is it obvious that it is bad.
You likely made the right call by replacing it though.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...When it comes time to replace the cat, the entire exhaust system on mine will have to be replaced because there's no way any of the bolts are coming undone...

The wrench that will undo (almost) any bolt:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-60625.html

Now 9.99 with a widely avilable coupon.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

I use a dremel with a cutoff wheel. Makes very quick work of the bolts or the nuts.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I use a dremel with a cutoff wheel. Makes very quick work of the bolts or the nuts.

My favorite too

vanagonjr wrote:
VicVan wrote:
Thanks folks

No, thank you!

Oh, the cleaner air will be on the West Coast far from your location, so you won't have any of it, don't worry. Laughing

DanHoug wrote:
heed my mistake.... don't buy the Walker cat replacement

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703322&highlight=

Good to know ! And the cat is not the 1st pace I'd think of when trying to diagnose low power
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the Magnaflow direct replacement from Summit Racing?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mpe-22918/overview/year/1988/make/volkswagen/model/vanagon

The pic looks like it's similar to Smallcar's direct replacement but cheaper. I have a Subaru 2.5L. I replaced my Emico cat with a Bosal from Rockauto, but subjectively it seems a little more restrictive. I need a direct fit to work with my Smallcar header and 911 muffler.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter - change it or keep it ? Reply with quote

Walker exhaust systems has a page for testing the catalytic converter. Basically the rear weld ring should be around 150º F hotter than the front weld ring, tested with a infrared thermometer. Also "thump" the shell with a rubber mallet listening for loose components.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: