Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

axle help
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: axle help Reply with quote

Hey all.....I have a buggy I am building. Pretty much all stock 74 vw bug suspension. I do have a bus transmission. I need axles for bus trans to bug stub axles. Is this possible ?
Thanks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: axle help Reply with quote

Possible yes, exactly how, not quite sure, think it takes a 15.5 inch axle with bus CV joint on trans end and bug CV on stub axle end...

Some one will clarify soon If I am wrong....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: axle help Reply with quote

The conversion axles in a Bus trans in a Bug chassis are 15-5/8in long.
With them you can use a Bus CV for the inner and a Bug CV on the outer.

Now if you want to run the stronger Bus CV on the outer you can buy aftermarket stub axles or have your stock Bug stub axle modified to use a Bus CV.
D.K. Machining&Fabrication in Norwalk, Ca can do can the stock Bug stub axles and modify them to fit the Bus CV and he also can modify them to use a Porsche 930 CV joint.
Don can be reached at (562) 864-9618. Don kepts very busy so sometimes you have to leave a message and he will get back to you.
I just had him do a set of Bug Stub axles to 930 CVs and they are a work of art.

Another way to go for stub axles to use for the Bus size CV joint is to use either Thing (type 181) or Porsche 924 stub axles.

There are many threads on doing what you are want to do, a search of the Samba will show a wealth of information.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: axle help Reply with quote

Thanks...was pretty sure what I could make work but trying to get off as cheap as possible for now. Just was unsure of an axle length.
Thanks
Again
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: axle help Reply with quote

You may find the 15-5/8 axles too short. Give it a try, but if you run out of play in the axle at full drop, you need longer axles.

I have no idea why those conversion axles are so much shorter than they need to be. A bus transmission is slightly wider than a bug, but it is nowhere even close to that much wider to warrant axles that much shorter than stock. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. A good length to try is 16-1/8, which is the thing/924 axle length. Much better than the 15-5/8 length if you ask me.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: axle help Reply with quote

I just went through all this, bought the 15-5/8" since it is the "prescribed" length for a bus trans nestled in a bug rear suspension. At full droop it was tugging in on the CVs, and with the axles level there was still 1"+ of side-to-side slop. Trading them out for 16-1/4" axles. Running stock Porsche 944 CVs and stubs.

I think you could get away with it if you limited the travel to stock beetle travel, but I have about 8.5" of clean travel in the back and 1" of travel blocked out by bump stops.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: