Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle Reply with quote

I have a matching numbers original 67 Beetle that's been in the family since new that I am restoring and have the dreaded "gaposis" on my #2 Main bearing journal saddle. The gap is quite excessive at about 15 thou but tapers from nothing at the side of the case where it is zero. It threw a rod journal but the mains themselves were OK apart from some scoring. I believe it was due to running low on oil when a relative drove it and didn't see the idiot light come on.

I know the normal answer is to say the case is junk but are there any other options other than the "heat it up for 8 hours at 400 degrees"? I can't see it recovering this much of a gap.

Given that the vehicle will only be used as a limited weekend driver, it will not get a lot of abuse and I want to keep the original engine number. (No I don't want to get another case and grind off the number).

I was wondering if anyone has had the saddle machined and an insert/shim made to bring the saddle back to tolerance?

One other option that has been suggested is to machine the case down along the mating flanges to bring the saddle back into alignment. From what I have researched this then causes issues with having to potentially rebore the camshaft journals, re-radius the oil pump hole (or machine the oil pump) and problems possibly with distributor drive gear and distributor gear alignment.

I have seen in the past that the factory suggests this machining as an option but the skimming of the case has to be limited to small quantities and then limited on the distributor side of the case to avoid issues.

Anyone out there got any options or any experience with any of these ideas?
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle Reply with quote

The 1600DP engine on my KG is running with an insert on the saddles. I bought it with this mod in place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engines and cases are harder to come by in INdia and importing is expensive. So I'm not surprised to see this done.

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle Reply with quote

OP is talking about a warped case I think not oversized mains.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
OP is talking about a warped case I think not oversized mains.

Yes I am talking about the flat surfaces not mating up together.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle Reply with quote

You might ask in the Performance forum. This isn't a "performance" issue, but there are a lot of experienced engine builders over there who might have seen this.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle Reply with quote

Rimco used to machine the saddle down a little, and pin a small plate in place to take up the gap. Fat Performance has acquired Rimco, so not sure they offer this anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine options for repairing warped main bearing journal saddle Reply with quote

I’d really just build another engine and keep the case as a decorative piece in the garage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: