Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I have the Propex Hs2000 that I purchased new less than a month ago. It has developed a very high pitch whine that I assume is coming from the blower. It certainly didn't make this noise the first few weeks of operation. Is there a way to service the fan? Can I oil it in some way? The noise is driving me up the wall. I otherwise love the heater.
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

I had the same problem after a summer of driving on dusty gravel roads. I blew the intake and exhaust pipe out with compressed air. they were full of dust.

This seemed to fix the problem for the most part. I plan to make some caps for the intake and exact to keep them as clean as possible.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

FreeColorado wrote:
Hey everyone. I have the Propex Hs2000 that I purchased new less than a month ago. It has developed a very high pitch whine that I assume is coming from the blower. It certainly didn't make this noise the first few weeks of operation. Is there a way to service the fan? Can I oil it in some way? The noise is driving me up the wall. I otherwise love the heater.

Have you considered calling or emailing the Propex distributor and warranty center? Wink
[email protected]

If blowing out dust doesn't help, then a return to me for warranty service/repair would be the normal way to fix the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

Gave the lines a good blow out and the noise remains. I did try to contact Propex, but emailed their UK email. It's been over a week with no reply from them. I would love to have the unit serviced but I full time in Colorado and can't go without heat for any length of time. There is no fan maintenance procedure I can do?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

FreeColorado wrote:
Gave the lines a good blow out and the noise remains. I did try to contact Propex, but emailed their UK email. It's been over a week with no reply from them. I would love to have the unit serviced but I full time in Colorado and can't go without heat for any length of time. There is no fan maintenance procedure I can do?

They normally refer all US inquiries to me, since I handle all of the USA issues.
If you remove the small cover plate on the heater and move the fan by hand, is there any scraping sound? If not it's likely a noisy motor which would be warrantied, but has to be sent to me for that procedure. The motor is a sealed unit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

I was dreading the job of Re&Re the heater and camping without heat while it was being serviced. I'm glad the compressed air fixed the issue.

What you're describing sounds exactly like the problem I had.

If I were you I would go one step further before sending the unit in for service. Remove the intake and ex. pipes and then blow air directly into the unit. I also put a shop van on the ex. pipe wile I blew air into the intake.

let us know how it goes, I'm curious to hear what the issue is.

do you drive in dusty conditions?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

Dang, I was hoping to hear about a Mullendore port for the Propex.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
FreeColorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

Hey guys. I took the propex out and blew compressed air in the intake with a vacuum on the exhaust. I also blew air in to the fan which did blow some dust out of the hot air side of the unit. While it did help the noise.. The whine remains.

I've since run in to an issue where the unit fails to stay lit. I'd say almost every night now I would wake up freezing with the thermostat flashing red. I'd perform a reset and then it would relight and I'd get to sleep. Sometimes it would light then go out, then light, then go out. Did I just get a faulty unit or does something need cleaning? It's only been about 2 months of operation, however, it has been very cold and it's been running quite a bit.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Hs2000 High Pitch Fan Noise Reply with quote

I would find a backup heat source and send the thing in for warranty repair. A Mr Buddy heater is good for temporary use and not very expensive.

If you have something wrong with the fan and you also fault codes telling you something is wrong, they could be related.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: