Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake reservoir replacement
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanderhiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: brake reservoir replacement Reply with quote

I recently had an issue with a cracked reservoir near one of the spouts going into the master cylinder. My question is can I replace the reservoir and grommets with the master cylinder installed in the bus or do I have to remove the master cylinder. I also wanted to know if I should put the grommets in the master cylinder first then insert the reservoir or do I put the grommets onto the reservoir then insert the reservoir into the master cylinder? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: brake reservoir replacement Reply with quote

I think it can be done with the MC installed, you'll need 1"+ between the top of the reservoir and the floor. Put the grommets in the MC first and then pop the reservoir into them.

How confident are you that no bits have broken off and are now down in the MC?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: brake reservoir replacement Reply with quote

Make sure your master cylinder isn't rusty where those grommets go in it. Mine was rusty and the rust had embedded itself in the grommets, so I couldn't reuse them. If you don't remove the cylinder, at least get a really good view of the grommet seating area to make sure they're rust free.

Install the grommets first, then the reservoir, lubing the little nipples with some brake fluid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: brake reservoir replacement Reply with quote

Odd that your lower reservoir broke like that. Was it original or aftermarket?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Vanderhiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: brake reservoir replacement Reply with quote

It was an aftermarket (Airtec). I believe I may have caused the leak. When I pushed the reservoir into the master it caused pressure on the spouts which bent the bottom of the reservoir. It appears the leak was a seam where the spouts are molded to the reservoir.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: