Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

Well this if anything ought to be entertaining.

From a pure airflow standpoint with multi point fuel injection and force fed with a turbo. How much could one of these in theory support?

The reason being is I am converting my dual Weber 2165 turbo to fuel injection with a centrally mounted single throttle body. Now I can make anything but as someone who’s been paid to do so for a living I really appreciate something ready made and a progressive Weber center section would put my throttle body exactly where I want it and be pretty easily adapted. The aluminum will be nice for tapping for various sensors as well.

Should I elect to use one vs making a center section it would be used with a pair of standard size CB performance FI end castings.

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

That depends very much at which end casting you will be using. Stock or aftermarket types that resembles stock but with injector bungs can support 180 - 190ish hp @ 14 psi boost. Use say CB hi performance end castings you can add at least 40 hp maybe even more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

No, I'd go for a deano zenith manifold with 1 1/2 tubes if it's port injection.
There are many kinds of progressive manifold, what kind do you have?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

modok wrote:
No, I'd go for a deano zenith manifold with 1 1/2 tubes if it's port injection.
There are many kinds of progressive manifold, what kind do you have?

I don’t

But there’s several on the classifieds at any given time dirty cheap. Clearly an open plenum will be required to use with a single throttle body

Simply put I will make one before I do weird hard to find obsolete exotic

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

Exotic? Glad you think so. I only pay 20$ these things, or less.
I remember that one, funny story, I TRIED to make the guy keep the carter that was on it, but "the conditions of the sale" was that I would have to dispose of the carburetor myself, which I have done Laughing
You need it, lemme know.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Exotic? Glad you think so. I only pay 20$ these things, or less.
I remember that one, funny story, I TRIED to make the guy keep the carter that was on it, but "the conditions of the sale" was that I would have to dispose of the carburetor myself, which I have done Laughing
You need it, lemme know.

Well it might be a moot point. I went and dug an old China knockoff Weber I had in the shed that was given to me to compare with

With a 2” throttle body it looks like the bolt holes for the intake are going to be occupying the same space as the frame on the throttle body. So it’s looking like this is gonna be a MAKE situation

Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

I heard early vw gti throttle bodies will fit on the progressive manifold. But they used CIS injection so I think you would need to add a throttle position sensor. I think some Audi throttle bodies used the same bolt pattern but a little bit larger bore.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

Ebel wrote:
I heard early vw gti throttle bodies will fit on the progressive manifold. But they used CIS injection so I think you would need to add a throttle position sensor. I think some Audi throttle bodies used the same bolt pattern but a little bit larger bore.

I looked into using one but the bigger issue seemed to be the unusual boot for the inlet.

Now that you mention it it might be kinda cool looking to modify that Chinese Weber knockoff into a throttle body if I could add a TPS...you can get a round inlet adapter for these

vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

Ebel wrote:

The throttle body from a 2.0 Passat 16v automatic has a throttle position sensor, but uses the CIS style boot. The throttle body from a Corrado G60 automatic has the same bolt pattern as the CIS manifold and has a round inlet boot.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
Ebel wrote:

The throttle body from a 2.0 Passat 16v automatic has a throttle position sensor, but uses the CIS style boot. The throttle body from a Corrado G60 automatic has the same bolt pattern as the CIS manifold and has a round inlet boot.

Some great information fellas!!! I would love to use on of these throttle bodies but the intake boot is definitely a huge stumbling block.

For the sake of standard intake boots and ease of disassembling in the future I still really want to use something based on a VW center section. From the comments here it doesn’t really sound like much of a hindrance from a pure hp prospective

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

I'd say cut the deano manifold shorter, weld on a flange and put the throttle as low as possible.
Dean would think it's cool. And you have to paint it purple.
The less volume between the throttle and heads.....the less lopey the idle and cruise will be.
IMO the cross tube should be 1.5 OD, throttle body 1 3/4 to 2" so maybe 50mm
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I'd say cut the deano manifold shorter, weld on a flange and put the throttle as low as possible.
Dean would think it's cool. And you have to paint it purple.
The less volume between the throttle and heads.....the less lopey the idle and cruise will be.
IMO the cross tube should be 1.5 OD, throttle body 1 3/4 to 2" so maybe 50mm

I will just cut down the 2” charge pipe I have now and deal with awkward sized boots first. Also I can weld steel, cast iron, stainless and even copper. Aluminum alludes me

My throttle body is a very simple square flange from a 1992 ford tempo with a 2.3 hsc engine 2” butterfly 2.75 inlet piping square flang external IAC as simple to point as possible. It opens the same direction as a solex carb. That deano intake absolutely will not work as the throttle arm cannot hang over the side.

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

To give you guys an idea of what I’m working with here is the TB sitting on a Weber Carter BBD adaptor

If I can make something to mate these two shapes I would be set with a standard open plenum dgav intake you guys love to hate on lol

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

Is that a plus?
If it opened the other direction you could mount it lower, well, not that one it's got tons of stuff hanging off the side.
Just brainstorming Wink
Build it out of steel is fine too. I make flanges with my Bridgeport and have my guy weld it together, but, my guy retired. You can also water-jet flanges.
I got some real nice compact throttle bodies off a toyota v8, but IAC would have to be remote, although that would be ok with me. I'd rather do the high idle manually. Computer controlled idle speed, whoop dee freakin do.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

I got really lucky

The bugpack “rpm” intake I ended up with from the classified is a 1.5” tube intake.

The plan which is well on its way is to make an adapter o plate out of 1” aluminum to mate these two parts in everlasting holy matrimony

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

I think I will add a couple vacuum/boost ports to the plate since my cb end castings have no such provisions

Of course I’ll do some die grinding and port matching. This is just the rough machining

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

NICE!
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

I don't quite understand why your going through all that instead of just making your own "T"?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Horsepower potential with progressive manifold via turbo Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I don't quite understand why your going through all that instead of just making your own "T"?

Boredom, uniqueness, boredom

It would certainly have been easier to have simply made my own T

Hell I actually already have one if I was to cut down my existing charge pipe

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: