Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans oil leak
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

Hi guys, long story short I bought a ‘74 1600 donor sand rail that had a siezed transmission. Had a local VW tech swap the trans for a ‘71(?) because I was in a hurry to get in in the road. It works great... except that it’s dripping gear oil from somewhere near the nose cone.

I cleaned it once and still could not figure out where it was leaking from. Somewhere around that downfacing 10mm(?) bolt and the nosecone gasket(?). Not sure about my terminology here. The ‘71 was not leaking prior to installation and I believe the install required reuse of the ‘74 nose cone. I’m not lobbing accusations at the mechanic, just saying the above is about all the info I’ve got up to this point.

What would be the likely cause(s) of this leak? Will I need to pull the trans to find out? Because I have a good ‘76 super beetle trans I’d imagine will work in there too. This time I’ll be doing the work myself since the sandrail has become the winter project. Should be way easier than the 454 swap I did earlier this year.... but thus far hasn’t been lol!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

You need to get some eyes on that spot and look. Can be a gasket, a seal, the reverse switch (at the base and the seam of the switch itself), and a few more spots. You may need to clean the area up with brake cleaner than run it to see where it is dropping oil from.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

Spray if off with BrakeClean and go for a ride. Keep the fill level 1/4" below the threads or they have a tendency to seep from the nose.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

Some pictures would be nice. Would give alot better suggestions.

We have had the "guess where my oil leak is over the internet" many times and the advice totally changes once we see a picture.

A trans could be totally dry and not leak previously, and then someome could install it and have a nose cone leak simply by tightening the belhousing side mounts first. (Pulling nose cone away from trans).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

A trans could be totally dry and not leak previously, and then someome could install it and have a nose cone leak simply by tightening the belhousing side mounts first. (Pulling nose cone away from trans).

jpaull,

Could you explain that in a little more detail please ?

Olli
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:
jpaull wrote:

jpaull,

Could you explain that in a little more detail please ?

Olli

If you tighten the belhousing side first, and the trans is setting to far back, there will be a gap in the front at the nose cone mount. The un suspecting person then starts the nuts on the mount and cranks them down to close the gap. Now all that stress is pulling the nose cone away from the trans and oil leaks out. Im no genious, just a idiot that did it before. (First VW)

Its only one possibility. Kinda throwing darts blind without some pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DirtyDYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

Hi guys, pics are on the way soon. I’ve been down and out today with some real nasty food poisoning and didn’t feel like crawling around the garage.

The info about the nose cone is good. This sandrail was possibly hit from behind at some point in time. The rear cage and cradle is a little bit out of square. The frame side mounts may no longer be perfectly aligned. I was wondering if unintended forces applied to the nose cone could cause a leak and it sounds like that is a possibility.

Once my body agrees I’ll hit it with brake kleen again and shoot some photos.

Thanks for the input thus far!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

DirtyDYT wrote:
Hi guys, pics are on the way soon. I’ve been down and out today with some real nasty food poisoning and didn’t feel like crawling around the garage.

What a wimp !!! You care more about your own health than you do about the curiosity of strangers on this forum ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

Thanks jpaull!

Olli
DirtyDYT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans oil leak Reply with quote

No pics but I still believe Jpaull is spot on. The leak is from the nosecone and the cause appears to be the slightly out of square frame due to a previous collision.

I went ahead and started a to do list. Then my ADHD kicked in.

1) Top it off intervallically and keep going. Do this every few miles until I get sick of it.
2) Attempt to retorque mounts and bolts without engine or trans removal
3) Pull everything
4) Check mounts. Adjust or modify to ensure correct alignment. I may consider using rubber insulated/hydraulic mounts.
5) Do the nosecone gasket too.
6) Procrastinate putting it back together.
7) Attempt to square frame up
Cool Recall I just bought most of what I need to boost this thing
9) Get distracted and install turbo
10) Reinstall engine and trans.
11) Tune
12) Get scared and make the brakes a lot better
13) Blow up/break my finely crafted masterpiece
14) Make a new list
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: