Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starting to get play in my steering wheel
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

over the past couple of weeks I've noticed my steering has become loose, it used to be immediate reaction when I started to turn the wheel, now I have a good 15-20 degrees of rotation either way before I begin to feel any resistance. Is this a steering box issue or do I have worn suspension parts (ball joints etc.)
PS This all seemed to have started after taking those dirt back roads behind my neighborhood.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

Why ask us? You have the car in front of you.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

You could have someone move the steering wheel back and forth gently while you crawl under car and look. Pay attention to steering coupler, tie rod ends but honestly sudden looseness is usually a coupler getting ready to fail. The other wear items progress slowly. I’ll be rebuilding front end on my 74 real soon because it’s shot. I can’t drive fast anymore which just breaks my heart. Very Happy
anilv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

Wear in the steering box takes years.. it is unlikely that you will see noticeable wear inside a few weeks.

Check the tie-rod ends and ball joints. Have the jacked up and eyeball all the components. Also check if the sterring box bolts are tight and the steering arm (from the box) is not loose.

Anilv
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

anilv wrote:
Wear in the steering box takes years.. it is unlikely that you will see noticeable wear inside a few weeks.

Check the tie-rod ends and ball joints. Have the jacked up and eyeball all the components. Also check if the sterring box bolts are tight and the steering arm (from the box) is not loose.

Anilv

It's the original steering box AFAIK.

1600 SP engine
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

I'd start with slightly adjusting the steering box (I think an inch of play in the wheel is the max of acceptable). You'll know if that's the issue immediately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Pay attention to steering coupler, tie rod ends but honestly sudden looseness is usually a coupler getting ready to fail. The other wear items progress slowly.

In addition to the rubber coupler itself, I’d recommend that you check the bolts that clamp the metal coupler fittings to the steering wheel and steering box shafts, respectively. They’re usually clamped / rusted together pretty solid, but I’ve ended up having one of mine break loose a bit and then have some play on occasion — e.g. after hitting really big bump while turning, and/or cranking wheel very hard while parked on high friction surface.

Note also that I think those bolts are normally special higher strength / hardness ones, and thus should get torqued to a higher level (i.e., than what you’d use for regular bolts and nuts of that size).

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

Quote:
all seemed to have started after taking those dirt back roads

To happen this suddenly, I'd say one, or both, of the 'steering shaft to flange' pinch bolts has slipped. The shafts and flanges have a notch cut-out that matches the side of the bolts to prevent complete loss of steering when they become loose. I replaced mine with some 10.9 hard bolts and tightened the hell out of them.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
I'd start with slightly adjusting the steering box (I think an inch of play in the wheel is the max of acceptable). You'll know if that's the issue immediately.

I would not do this as my first step. In fact this should be the last step after eliminating any other possible causes. As others have said, wear in the steering box takes a long time, when adjusted properly. If it gets overadjusted to compensate for looseness elsewhere in the front end, it can wear very very rapidly.

sb001 start basic and work your way in. First check the play in your front wheel bearings (rock the wheel test as described in Bentley or use dial indicator) and make sure they are in spec.

Check condition of steering coupler, make sure it hasn't started to come apart.

Jack the front end up so both wheels are off the ground, get a light in the wheel well so you can see the tie rods and ball joints. Use your hands on one of the wheels to push-pull the wheel through its steering arc while looking for slop at any of the tie rod ends, ball joints etc. Generally you will hear/feel a clunk upon changing direction as the slop in the worn part(s) is taken up.

Once you are sure all that stuff is good and any worn out parts have been replaced, then check out the steering box.

Put the front wheels on the ground and then have someone slowly turn the steering wheel through its whole rotation while you are underneath with light looking at the steering box. Make sure it's tightly clamped onto the front axle and that it's not moving relative to the axle when the steering wheel is being turned.

Look at the shaft that comes out the bottom of the steering box (the one that connects to the tie rods).

Have someone slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth in the free play zone while you look at this shaft. You should not see any up/down movement of the shaft. All steering wheel movement should be translated into rotational movement of the shaft. If there is visible up/down movement of the shaft then you need to adjust the steering box.

To do that you get the front wheels off the ground, steering wheel turned 90 degrees to either side off center, loosen the lock nut (17mm) on top and then carefully turn the adjuster screw in just enough that you feel it stop as it touches the top of the shaft. Then lock it down. Do NOT crank down on that adjuster or you will kill the box quickly.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: starting to get play in my steering wheel Reply with quote

Thanks all- I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow if I get a chance.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: