Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Fuel injection trouble shooting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Hi all- I know there are a ton of threads on FI issues. I read through a bunch of them, but could use a little simple step by step help.

I'm working on a friend's 77 bus with FI. When he bought it the previous owner told him it ran but very poorly and then died. Looking at the old fuel filter my guess is they ran this thing until it just clogged up and died.

So far I've done the following:
1. Drained the tank and washed some fresh fuel through it. I still think it will need a tank out cleaning.

2. Replaced the fuel filter.

3. Changed the fuel pump. I determined the previous pump was bad by putting the key to on and hitting the lever in the air flow meter. I can hear the new pump working/circulating fuel now.

I noticed no change after doing the above. The engine just cranks with no sign of starting.

I tried putting some fuel down the S boot today. No change.

Until today I thought this had to be a fuel delivery issue (given condition of the old filter, fuel pump and drained gas), but putting fuel in the S boot did nothing.

Now I'm thinking it could be lack of spark. I did confirm power at the coil and cleaned the grounds under the plenum. The vacuum lines aren't in great shape but I went around and made sure all the connections are a secure as possible.

I think a lot of work will be needed on the vacuum system and fuel injection components before this can be driven regularly, but I'd like to at least get it to fire before just having my friend buy parts on a hunch.

Any thoughts/ideas to at least get some signs of life?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Did you test for spark at the plugs? Running points or pertronix? What's the timing tentatively set at for now?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Have you seen this manual yet?...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Test for spark by setting the distributor end of the coil wire 1/4" from a good ground, if you have spark there then remove each plug wire in turn and use a spare plug to check for spark.

Your points could well be corroded up or just not opening.
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

thanks guys. I only get over to the bus on weekends so I'll attack spark next weekend.

I have been using the AFC manual here and there. The bus is running points.

The points, cap and rotor all looked ok, but agree on testing for spark the way described and probably replacing the points just in case.

I didn't get even a pop putting gas down the S boot so definitely think spark next. I'll report back in a week or so. thanks
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

You can buy a spark plug tester from Harbor Freight.

I have four of these testers. They really put on some light display.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

I have had those testers for years. I see that you can get them at Amazon. They do make troubleshooting easier.

https://www.amazon.ca/Spark-Plug-Tester-Ignition-C...ug+testers
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

jmarshall024 wrote:
thanks guys. I only get over to the bus on weekends so I'll attack spark next weekend.

I have been using the AFC manual here and there. The bus is running points.

The points, cap and rotor all looked ok, but agree on testing for spark the way described and probably replacing the points just in case.

I didn't get even a pop putting gas down the S boot so definitely think spark next. I'll report back in a week or so. thanks

If you have your spark plug wires installed 180° out the engine will of course not run but may not even spit or backfire. Visually look at the resistance strip on your rotor, does it look burnt?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Sorting out the ignition system is step 1 before you start dicking around with the FI.

Also this system hates vacuum leaks.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

If I might offer just a bit of a suggestion....

While it is nice that you are trying to get it to start in its present condition, that is likely not sustainable long term. Drawing fuel directly from a gas can will sometimes allow you to get adequate fuel pressure in the system even with a rusty fuel tank. A dwell meter and timing light will confirm that you have decent spark.

I would just plan on removing the engine/transmission as a unit and getting it on an engine stand. Once that happens you will be able to remove the injectors for servicing, the fuel tank for proper cleaning, the fuel lines for replacing, and will be able to clean up the tinwork to whatever your budget allows.

Make sure you own a dwell meter, a volt ohm meter, and a fuel pressure gauge.

If you need to borrow some stuff (like an engine stand) or something like that, let us know. There are lot of us bus guys in the area and we may have some of that stuff to let you borrow. Sometimes we even help out when we can.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
If I might offer just a bit of a suggestion....

While it is nice that you are trying to get it to start in its present condition, that is likely not sustainable long term. Drawing fuel directly from a gas can will sometimes allow you to get adequate fuel pressure in the system even with a rusty fuel tank. A dwell meter and timing light will confirm that you have decent spark.

I would just plan on removing the engine/transmission as a unit and getting it on an engine stand. Once that happens you will be able to remove the injectors for servicing, the fuel tank for proper cleaning, the fuel lines for replacing, and will be able to clean up the tinwork to whatever your budget allows.

Make sure you own a dwell meter, a volt ohm meter, and a fuel pressure gauge.

If you need to borrow some stuff (like an engine stand) or something like that, let us know. There are lot of us bus guys in the area and we may have some of that stuff to let you borrow. Sometimes we even help out when we can.

you mean you can't just buy a car that has been sitting, add fuel and turn the key like they do on TV?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Only if you have never sinned or had impure thoughts does that work. Shocked

In short it has never worked for me. Laughing

I am about 2 hours north of the original poster by the way.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Only if you have never sinned or had impure thoughts does that work. Shocked

well that explains why mine didn't start right up.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Sorting out the ignition system is step 1 before you start dicking around with the FI.

This!

Stop focusing on fuel at this point. Use Wildthings suggestion and then update this thread.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

This!

Stop focusing on fuel at this point. Use Wildthings suggestion and then update this thread.

I have never understood why people have such trouble with ignitions. One has to have a WORKING timing light if they are going to work on a car of this era. If the battery has voltage in it enough to turn the motor, the timing light can tell you in 10 seconds if the plugs are firing, and if the timing is in the ballpark. Light flashes then the ignition is working. Light not flashing the ignition is not.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

This!

I have never understood why people have such trouble with ignitions. One has to have a WORKING timing light if they are going to work on a car of this era. If the battery has voltage in it enough to turn the motor, the timing light can tell you in 10 seconds if the plugs are firing, and if the timing is in the ballpark. Light flashes then the ignition is working. Light not flashing the ignition is not.

You can buy a pretty nice timing light at a yard sale or flea market today for $5-10 that would have made a professional mechanic drool 30 years back.
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued replies. I have tools and equipment needed to test the ignition system. Just didn’t have them with me yesterday. ( I was secretly hoping to get some response from the gas in the s boot).

As suggested I do think pulling the engine and tank will be necessary. Even if I got it running I wouldn’t trust driving it and I’m sure bad injectors and vacuum leaks will keep it from running well.

But while I have everything intact I can’t help trying some basic stuff. At least that way I won’t reinstall a cleaned up junk part.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

jmarshall024 wrote:
Thanks for the continued replies. I have tools and equipment needed to test the ignition system. Just didn’t have them with me yesterday. ( I was secretly hoping to get some response from the gas in the s boot).

As suggested I do think pulling the engine and tank will be necessary. Even if I got it running I wouldn’t trust driving it and I’m sure bad injectors and vacuum leaks will keep it from running well.

But while I have everything intact I can’t help trying some basic stuff. At least that way I won’t reinstall a cleaned up junk part.

Nothing terribly wrong with this line of thinking, and it's great that you understand the value in pulling the power-plant and attending to all the deferred maintenance, mouse stuffings, questionable P.O. hacks and mends and give yourself a refreshed fuel tank, filler neck and vapor hoses.

And yeah... it's supremely motivating to bring a long-dormant engine back to life, just for a moment... just to know the damn thing isn't seized.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

pulling the motor and tin may give you the win in the mouse nest thread as well
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Fuel injection trouble shooting Reply with quote

pulling the motor and tin may give you the win in the mouse nest thread as well
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: