Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on my oil pressure relief valve
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

When I removed my plungers from my old case, they were both like the one on the right. Straight sided. But the pictures I have show the pressure relief plunger like the one on the left. 1974 stock build. As41 Case original and new. Do I have a problem?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Nope. Use the old stuff, if it is not broken or heavily scored. The new ones suck! The package I purchased looked exactly like what you show. It took my low oil pressure and reduced it by another 5psi. I then recleaned some old stock pistons and springs I had in an old dusty bin and stuck those in. WAY BETTER. I still ended up with an issue, but in regards to what you wrote, the remainder of that story does not apply.

VW did install that bypass piston in some of their cases. Which ones is nothing I have knowledge of. But I have dropped that cut one out of the rear relief cavity many times, but the front cavity always had a solid piston in it.

Hoping I helped out!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

1500 S engine type 3 used the grooved plunger. The booster kits are for people that think they need massive oil pressure, I’ve seen pressure spikes which pegged a gauge and burst oil coolers and blown seals. It’s also a bandaid fix for worn out engine with low pressure. All the ones I see go straight in the trash along with the bogus looking springs. Very Happy
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613131&highlight=relief+spring
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nope. Use the old stuff, if it is not broken or heavily scored. The new ones suck! The package I purchased looked exactly like what you show. It took my low oil pressure and reduced it by another 5psi. I then recleaned some old stock pistons and springs I had in an old dusty bin and stuck those in. WAY BETTER. I still ended up with an issue, but in regards to what you wrote, the remainder of that story does not apply.

VW did install that bypass piston in some of their cases. Which ones is nothing I have knowledge of. But I have dropped that cut one out of the rear relief cavity many times, but the front cavity always had a solid piston in it.

Hoping I helped out!

Thanks Jimbo!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

VW initially used a grooved plunger in some Type 3 vehicles, but eventually they started putting it in all of
their single-relief case engines, as indicated by the part no. for the plunger (311-115-411) in the various
engines. VW never put a grooved plunger in a dual-relief Type I engine. Also, the grooved plunger (with a
slanted bottom edge) that almost always comes in the kits is NOT the same one VW used in Type I single-
relief engines, which had straight sides.

Using a grooved plunger in a dual-relief case is pointless, because the grooved plungers were designed
to work with an upper dump port in the case, which does not exist in dual-relief cases. Also, because the
grooved plungers are considerably longer than the plain ones, the effect is pretty much the same as
just using a much stronger spring, which is also pointless, because the stock plunger with the stock spring
will not even begin to move until there is PLENTY of oil pressure.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
morrist2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Hi, i'm having a bit of a different issue. I just replaced my case and on start up, #1 piston rod bearing seized due to no oil. The front oil piston was stuck in the new empi aluminum case...would this cause the issue? I also had a brand new CB Performance crank, could there have been a blockage inside the crank? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Tim
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

morrist2 wrote:
Hi, i'm having a bit of a different issue. I just replaced my case and on start up, #1 piston rod bearing seized due to no oil. The front oil piston was stuck in the new empi aluminum case...would this cause the issue? I also had a brand new CB Performance crank, could there have been a blockage inside the crank? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Tim

Could be a chunk of aluminum shaving got into the the piston and galled up. Best way to find out is pull it apart and diagnose.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Neither relief piston being stuck in the up (closed) position would cause oil starvation. Perhaps
excessive oil pressure in the case of the front piston.

New crank oil passages should be cleaned before install, no telling what sort of factory debris might
be lurking in there.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on my oil pressure relief valve Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
morrist2 wrote:

Tim

Could be a chunk of aluminum shaving got into the the piston and galled up. Best way to find out is pull it apart and diagnose.

On the diagram I have it shows the main bearings being fed first and then oil to rod bearing, so if this is true you’d expect the main to have been starved as well. But I agree, all the components should have been cleaned out first.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: