Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Can anyone point me in the direction of another stock dual port head ? Preferrably a reasonably priced core I can get to them to match up with my other stock head?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

What is the VW part number on the head? It's under the rockers and is something like 113-101-375A ?
When buying used heads here on the Samba it's usually a bad Idea. Used heads often have crack sparkplug holes and people think they can be mis matched. The part number and the machine work need to be matched unless a shop can CC it to match the other heads chamber cc. If one head has been fly cut flat to the chamber and the other has a step then they both will need to be cut. When the step is cut on heads it reduces the cc's and the cylinders will need to have shims added to compensate to match the Compression Ratios. Here is an example of a head with a crack in the spark plug hole it's junk.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2028645
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

They cracked the head let them find and pay for one, they have insurance or take them to court for the cost. CIP1 is in Canada, just buy Two new heads as they are probably cheaper than you are going to pay for rebuilt(?) heads. If they cracked the head they don't know VWs, BEWARE Sad
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
What is the VW part number on the head? It's under the rockers and is something like 113-101-375A ?
When buying used heads here on the Samba it's usually a bad Idea. Used heads often have crack sparkplug holes and people think they can be mis matched. The part number and the machine work need to be matched unless a shop can CC it to match the other heads chamber cc. If one head has been fly cut flat to the chamber and the other has a step then they both will need to be cut. When the step is cut on heads it reduces the cc's and the cylinders will need to have shims added to compensate to match the Compression Ratios. Here is an example of a head with a crack in the spark plug hole it's junk.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2028645

Out of curiosity, where do you see the cracks in the spark plug holes? I’m not saying the crack isn’t there, it’s just such a poor picture I can’t tell. How does that happen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

Or they did the cheap and easy way using a muffler gun to drive the guide in instead of heating head and using liquid nitrogen to chill the guide and press in. Speaking of cracks always inspect inside exhaust ports, people overlook this area concentrating on combustion area only.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

If the crack is not really bad ,they can bore a chunk of it out and interference fit a sort of a plug in there. Then they can redo the guide hole.
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

Right now I'm looking at replacing them with these from cip1:

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D043%2D101%2D355%2DCKHL

What do you think about these vs something like Mofoco? This is a completely stock build.

And it says these have the fuel injection sensor boss? That doesn't interfere with non fuel injected use does it ?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with those.
Mofoco head owners have good things to say. You can get ahold of Roy [email protected] Mofoco offers 4 or more options in Stock VW Build Compatible heads. These Superstreets would add 10 horsepower. There are rebuilt, and New stock, 40 and 40ss and 41's they all would play nicely. I would choose the Super Street40 if it were me.
Put the 2280 cheater cam in it and keep it stock unless you want to double horsepower by making it a Dual Carb engine with a 74stroke and 88bore. And A lot more cam and dual carbs. The 40ss or 41's if you do that. My VW engine threads Below.

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

I just opened a pair of the MOFOCO Super Streets. They are really nice. Super customer service as well. Can't wait to get them running.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of curiosity, where do you see the cracks in the spark plug holes

Left combustion chamber; crack is at "9:00" position heading straight sideways.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of another stock dual port head ? Preferrably a reasonably priced core I can get to them to match up with my other stock head?

Sure.
What kind of head do you want?
If you do not know perhaps you can send me the other one so I cam match it Twisted Evil
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:

What do you think about these vs something like Mofoco? This is a completely stock build.

And it says these have the fuel injection sensor boss? That doesn't interfere with non fuel injected use does it ?

I will not say any negative words about other products, just the facts. Those heads from CIP1 are made in China, stock valve, stock or worse port flow, 1/2" reach plugs that are factory produced and cost $251.

My stock heads are Made in the USA, stock valves, intake and exhaust ports flow like a performance head, 3/4" reach plugs, High rev springs, 3 angle valve job, cool better than any other head casting on the market and made one at a time using guides and seats Made in the USA as well and cost $229 each.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:

Those will work fine for a stock rebuild. Mofoco is a little overkill, in my opinion, and the Duty they will slap on them at the Border will really raise the price.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
74 standard wrote:

Those will work fine for a stock rebuild. Mofoco is a little overkill, in my opinion, and the Duty they will slap on them at the Border will really raise the price.

How much does Canada charge for buying from the US? More than $25 per head?

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
74 standard wrote:

So China can send heads to Canada duty-free but Roy can't? Because that's what your inferring here.. Maybe the China head has the duty price built in, and Roy doesn't?

Pay the duty and get MOFOCO heads. Miles ahead in quality for near the same price.

And what if you have a problem with the China heads? Will CP1 replace them if your not happy?

I got a set of Roy's super streets. There was a (probably cosmetic) flaw. I emailed Roy and he said it would have zero effect on the head but he would send a call ticket to send the heads back if I choose. I did, on Roy's dime, and he built me another set. No questions asked. No fuss. No way I'd order another set of China heads after seeing the quality and the customer service from Roy. And the price is so close, it's a no-brainer.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Starbucket wrote:
74 standard wrote:
https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D043%2D101%2D355%2DCKHLWhat do you think about these vs something like Mofoco? This is a completely stock buildAnd it says these have the fuel injection sensor boss? That doesn't interfere with non fuel injected use does it ?

First we have to pay aprrox 30% more than the American price to make up for the difference in our dollar, today it costs me $1.32CDN to buy $1USD.

Then we pay 5% Federal sales tax on the Canadian dollar value, plus what ever our provincial sales tax is, here it is 6%.

There is no duty on products produced in the USA as per NAFTA.

Then there is the shipping and brokerage charges that the couriers charge The last heads I had shipped cost me $80USD or around $105. UPS and FedEx rape us on brokerage which will be another $100 All of which means your $229 head will cost approx. $400CDN each. This is why I'm putting all my VW projects to the side for a while. Buying products out of the US has simply become too expensive.

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Starbucket wrote:
74 standard wrote:
https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D043%2D101%2D355%2DCKHLWhat do you think about these vs something like Mofoco? This is a completely stock buildAnd it says these have the fuel injection sensor boss? That doesn't interfere with non fuel injected use does it ?

First we have to pay aprrox 30% more than the American price to make up for the difference in our dollar, today it costs me $1.32CDN to buy $1USD.

Then we pay 5% Federal sales tax on the Canadian dollar value, plus what ever our provincial sales tax is, here it is 6%.

There is no duty on products produced in the USA as per NAFTA.

Then there is the shipping and brokerage charges that the couriers charge The last heads I had shipped cost me $80USD or around $105. UPS and FedEx rape us on brokerage which will be another $100 All of which means your $229 head will cost approx. $400CDN each. This is why I'm putting all my VW projects to the side for a while. Buying products out of the US has simply become too expensive.

brad

WOW!! I guess Canada really doesn't want people buying things from the US.

Does the US charge the same fees if I bought something from Canada?

www.mofoco.com

74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

The killer is the FEDEX and UPS brokerage fees plus the currency exchange rate which our government doesn't control. The taxes are not what makes it un-appealing to buy from the US as we have to pay sales taxes on any new item we buy here as well. Not sure whats going to happen after NAFTA is dead.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

74 standard wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

The killer is the FEDEX and UPS brokerage fees plus the currency exchange rate which our government doesn't control. The taxes are not what makes it un-appealing to buy from the US as we have to pay sales taxes on any new item we buy here as well. Not sure whats going to happen after NAFTA is dead.

I'm pretty sure that USPS doesn't charge the brokerage fees, is that correct?

www.mofoco.com

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop cracked one of my heads changing guides. Reply with quote

I've never paid "brokerage fees" when buying things from outside the US and importing them. Not from Europe, Mexico, China, Japan, or anywhere else I've ordered stuff from. My stuff always just arrives USPS. I assume the sellers put it their country's post and it gets transferred to USPS when it hits our shores.. I've sent stuff to Russia USPS. I doubt a USPS employee takes it all the way there lol.

So, what's the deal with Canada?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: