Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

Couldn't find one so I thought I'd start a thread on the odd little (for lack of a proper name) "24 Window" Double Decker, which was a factory special model high top made only at VW of Brazil, that I think is just awesome! Here they are as school buses:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't know much about them, so I was hoping someone might have some additional info. I imagine they were used when a really large interior space was needed, just like the German built high top. There's only a few pics that I have collected. Here's one that seems to be a mobile medical bus:

And here's one that looks like it's had the upper windows tragically painted over:

This is the VW of Brazil factory "List of Special Vehicles". I'd love to find a better version of this image because it shows the official name of this thing, which I can't make out:

Here's another one that showed up online recently, with some interior shots. Note the partition between the cab and cabin. I wonder if it's removable?

And it's hard to see, but the side door is one big piece, hinged at the back, and the forward two upper windows are hinged at the top and can be propped open to give you a huge entrance. This one was originally used as a mobile dental office that served rural areas. It had a dentist chair and kit mounted inside.

Anyway, that's all I have and all I know. I'd love to see more and know more about them if anyone has any info.

And I'd love to hear opinions, what do you think about these? What would you do with one?

It looks to me like there'd be enough room to do a sweet camper interior, with a sleeping loft up top. Can you imagine the nice view from up there as you wake up all warm and cozy as the sun comes in through that panorama of windows?
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd Brazilian Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

thanks for posting never seen one of those. looks like the double decker re-used the rear hatch glass on the back of it.

Sure wouldn't want to have to pony up all the money to replace those window seals!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd Brazilian Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

Wow. Been a long time since there was a bus model I'd never seen before, Brazilian or not.

I have collected pictures of oddball old school bus campers w VW bus tops for years. These are kinda like a factory version of those!
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Odd 24 Window Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

I know, I saw that "List of Special Vehicles" awhile back and this model jumped right out as something indeed special, but till recently I figured it wasn't a real thing, or at least that none survived.

But there are at least a few left...

10 Christmas points to anyone that can find some more pics or info about them!
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

Well I think I got to the bottom of it!

Found a better version of the "List of Special Vehicles" image, and you can just barely make out the model name:

Kombi Gabinete Dentario = Dentist Office Bus. We have a name! So these were indeed designed to be mobile dentist offices, although we saw from the first image I posted that they also had other purposes, like as School Buses.

Here you can see a video of the original dentist office kit. There's lighting, a sink, the chair, storage for the implements of destruction. It looks like something out of "Hostel". I'd be terrified to find myself in there getting a tooth pulled!
https://www.facebook.com/FuscaNH/videos/kombi-1969...5495113119

Scary, but these Dentist Office Buses probably served an important purpose for people with no access to modern medicine. So good vibes and all that.

Here's one with a different configuration, an earlier model by the looks of the tail lights. A "19 Window!" I like the two tone.

And here's one showing the side door with partially raised upper window section. You could load an elephant through that giant entrance!

So there you have it, folks. The Dentist Office Bus.

I still think it would make the ultimate camper!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

Cool stuff and nice work on the detective job!
Squeeze Cheese wrote:
although we saw from the first image I posted that they also had other purposes, like as School Buses.

Or maybe the school system provided dental care to it's children as well? That could be a whole countries worth of units ready to venture forth to the far remote reaches of the Amazon and stamp out tooth decay (as soon as the politicians finish posing in front for the photos and back patting). It's fuzzy, but it kinda looks like Servico Dentario isolar or something on the door of the front one.

Damn, all we had to get were vaccinations now and then, imagine the children's horror when it was Dentisto time? Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

Quote from another thread in 2016. Check out the sales flap.
LAGrunthaner wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
It would be sick to own a kombi gabinette dentario. Dental bus FTW.

Kombi Gabinete Dentario, according to the ad the blogger doesn't realize it's the real deal.

http://ratblue62.blogspot.com/2012/06/kombi-teto-duplo-essa-eu-nao-tinha.html
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

busdaddy, I think you're right. Those aren't school buses. They're "Department of Education Dental Service for Isolated Areas" buses. Imagine these things cruising around the Amazon, in search of cavities, striking fear in the hearts of poor little Brazilians. There goes the good vibes!

But hey, they grew up with really great... teeth.

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Quote from another thread in 2016.

Nice find! The ad print reads "Dentist Office Bus. With raised ceiling to allow people to stand in the interior. Also enables the installation of all necessary equipment for this service."

Can you copy that thread here?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

Those posts were on page 4 of this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

This is not one of those at all, right?
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

No, but cool! Looks like a one-off creation, possibly made with a roof clip?
blaquez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

I've got a 64

Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

Damn! That’s a near one of a kind. Probably the earliest still on the road. What did you do with that interior?

I almost bought and imported a 74 last month but the paperwork had an error I couldn’t get fixed so I gave up.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

I still want one of the dental ones for sure.

Super weird the upper windows weren’t pop-outs from the factory. At least one of them should be.
blaquez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Odd "24 Window" Factory Special Model Double Decker/High Top Reply with quote

I've had this vw bus for years.

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
Damn! That’s a near one of a kind. Probably the earliest still on the road. What did you do with that interior?

It has two rear seats and original front seat.

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
I almost bought and imported a 74 last month but the paperwork had an error I couldn’t get fixed so I gave up.

This car is very solid, all doors close perfectly, all documentation is ok, is registered in my name... I really like it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: