Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smog Fail, engine RPM too high at 25mph. Any ideas on a fix?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Smog Fail, engine RPM too high at 25mph. Any ideas on a fix? Reply with quote

I'm not a smog expert and don't want to play one on the internet, but your emissions are super clean and I passed this year running my auto at the RPMs I stated above. If it were me, I would just find another smog shop that understands older vehicles and show them your report. See what they say.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Smog Fail, engine RPM too high at 25mph. Any ideas on a fix? Reply with quote

I think hes right ^^. Your being bamboozled.

Find an emissions station where old vanagons gather.

Doesnt it say pass for each row? regardless of the rpms.

If your concerned, Id pull the gov and have a quick look. Otherwise your linkage issues may be contributing. I'm deff not qualified to even discuss rpms and auto trans. Have issues of my own. Lol

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Smog Fail, engine RPM too high at 25mph. Any ideas on a fix? Reply with quote

The fail is the gas cap only, as termuehlen previously mentioned.

The tech may have noted the high RPM, but it was the cap that failed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Smog Fail, engine RPM too high at 25mph. Any ideas on a fix? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will wait for the Gas cap and throttle spring I ordered and take it back to the same guy. I get another free test. I will have to argue about the RPM's

If he won't pass it then I may go to a recommended station in Garden Grove. A little too far but if they pass it then its worth the 60 mile round trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Smog Fail, engine RPM too high at 25mph. Any ideas on a fix? Reply with quote

Just saw something that will possibly make a difference. I set my timing to the groove in the pulley closest to the case. I understand now that that is a preset 5 degree BTDC mark! My timing must be set to 10 degrees BTDC.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: