Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I was 3 when JFK was killed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

A post that should be explored

kirk1015 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
55 years ago yesterday the 35th POTUS was executed in broad day light. I’m willing to bet over half the people here are too young to remember it.

I was negative 13 when JFK was killed. I have always thought that his death was sort a dividing line.
The innocence of the NEW America that came after
WW2 ended and sort of a Modern America was born.
We all know we wasn’t the most honest President. Like FDR and probably others. He had his secrets/demons.
As a amature historian, I wonder what could have been had “whoever” it was who killed him missed. A subject not for this fourum perhaps.
Heck we might not have had the cultural revolution in the 60’s had it not happened, Then the Beetle and the Bus might not have become what they did.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Like I said, I was 3 when JFK was Killed.
Mom always said Jack Ruby the country a favor when he shot Lee Harvey Oswald.
Dad said if JFK had not been shot, his history as a President wouldn't have been good.
I can't imagine how it must have felt in '63 & then '68 when the Kennedys and Martin Luther King was assassinated.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

When JFK was killed, everyone at my Catholic school on the Upper West Side in Manhattan was hushed and in shock. I was too young (around 4th grade) to understand much more than that something very bad had happened. I also remember the school being closed the day of his funeral, which I watched on TV.

When King was killed, I remember thinking that the country would erupt into riots. At the time, I didn't know that Newark had already been convulsed by riots the year before. I did know that Harlem was not a good place for a white person to go, because my parents had taken me up there while looking for a Hispanic spiritual healer for my mother, and I recall us being stared at in unfriendly ways by everyone on the street, all of whom were black.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

I live within driving distance of Dealy Plaza and it’s a place all people should see if they can. The scene of Kennedy’s assassination former Texas School Book Depository is now known as The Sixth Floor Museum and it’s open to the public although I thought it was pricey but you do get to stand very near where Oswald supposedly fired 3 shots. The actual spot is behind plexiglass and appears just as it did in for the Oliver Stone movie JFK, again supposedly as it was in 1963. As I looked out the 6th floor window I wondered why not take the easy shot, he could have fired as car was coming toward him, a close up easy shot not turned at an angle partially obscured by trees. We also stood on the grassy knoll behind the picket fence and this could have been a place for assassin to hide as was the drain pipe near grassy knoll. The building to the left of book depository could also be used. So many unanswered questions remain. Too many years have passed now. Witnesses are all dead. Thing that really stuck in my mind was the diversity of people there. People from all over the world are drawn to this odd place looking for answers all these years later. Why?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

I was in Dallas in 1987, stayed at the hotel connected to the train station, walking distance from Dealy Plaza. One needs to be there to understand the slope of that road and the path of the bullet; Connally sat on a jumpseat off-center, so the bullet path really does line up perfectly.

It is believed that bullet #1 hit a traffic signal and was deflected, causing a slight wound to an onlooker. Also remember that the route was changed, so by chance gave Oswald a location for his crime of opportunity. That stuff about the photo with the rifle being doctored, etc., is all revisionist conspiracy theory. Restagings in more than one country show that a decent marksman could have made the shot. Interesting supposition might be what condition JFK would've been in if just the first bullet, like whether he would have survived, and in what condition.

That museum did not exist back in 1987.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

I was 2 months old when he was killed, so obviously don't remember the actual event. But it feels like I saw news about the investigation and the Warren commission every night as I was growing up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
A post that should be explored

kirk1015 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
55 years ago yesterday the 35th POTUS was executed in broad day light. I’m willing to bet over half the people here are too young to remember it.

As a amature historian, I wonder what could have been had “whoever” it was who killed him missed. A subject not for this fourum perhaps.
Heck we might not have had the cultural revolution in the 60’s had it not happened, Then the Beetle and the Bus might not have become what they did.

As a amateur historian you would have known that KFK was apposed to getting any further than a advisory and helping with arms and materials position into the Vietnam conflict. So, if KFK would have lived then culturally the U.S. would have been drastically different.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

^^^^^^ safe to say then you didn’t buy into the domino theory.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
^^^^^^ safe to say then you didn’t buy into the domino theory.

Are you referring to me? If you are, I didn't say anything about the domino theory. So NO it's NOT safe to say. I commented on Kennedy and how the country might be if he were not assassinated.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Yes taxi driver I’m taking to you. Very Happy
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Yes taxi driver I’m taking to you. Very Happy

Well, now you know how NOT to put words into peoples mouths. The next thing to learn is how not to call people names.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Taxi driver is a joke on the movie that you almost quoted. "You talking to me" look it up for a good laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Taxi driver is a joke on the movie that you almost quoted. "You talking to me" look it up for a good laugh.

Well rats piss, lets all have a beer.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

No harm no foul, I often strike out trying to be the funny guy. Beer sounds A ok.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
No harm no foul, I often strike out trying to be the funny guy. Beer sounds A ok.

I'll have to amend that hoping that you'll go along. Even though I'm of German descent, I find I have a real penchant for English ale. Newcastle in particular, especially if drawn from the wood and not homogenized. Just the Job!
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

I was the same age as JFK's son was (3), we were actually living in Oklahoma City and we took a trip to the scene the following week or so and looked at all the huge floral displays they were being shown at the time near the area he was gunned down.

My mother said it was a creepy time to be alive, you could feel the black cloud hanging when you went outside....

MikeC
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Ironically my conception date was around that time, hours really. Shocked
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Ironically my conception date was around that time, hours really. Shocked
Bad things always come in 3's. Now we need to find what the other one was.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

I watched that Kennedy video of the shooting... it is obvious there were 2-3 firing positions. As soon as he passed the sign (obscured Kennedy for a moment) see him clasping his throat. Then comes a shot that blew his head off....that shot could have come from the front or back or at an angle.

It is a big ass mystery or an efficient cover-up from the powers that be.

Oswald was a marine but hardly a great shot. Barely qualified rifle.

People who shoot rifles w/ irons -- ask anyone of them and see how hard it is to shoot a moving target the size of a melon from that distance and get a first round hit. You would have to have set that rifle at that known distance and lots of practice.

When I have not fired for awhile, takes me a little to get my groove back before I am where I want..esp in the offhand.

Maybe Oswald was very lucky shot if he was the lone shooter.

And what is Ruby's interest in him?

One thing interesting is --Kennedy told Democrats in the south to stop lynching blacks and 2 days later he was dead.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: I was 3 when JFK was killed Reply with quote

I was 3 as well, don't remember jack Laughing about any of it, I do remember when Bobby was killed in '68, Mom kept us home from School........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: