Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new motor for 71 sportsmobile
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mba71sportsmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

I have acquired a 71 bus that needs motor replacement.

What size cc would you suggest for the build ?

Should I go for a new case or is a rebuild ok ?

The current motor case is busted !

Note: I am very very new to VWs; I am a MG guy and this
bus was my son in laws and I want to rescue the fun
vehicle. AND I want to use it much more often than
my MGs

Thank you for your thoughts,
Bryant
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

Bryant - welcome.

If the case is busted why would you consider that it might be re-useable? Did it toss a connecting rod?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

be thankful you have an upright.
mba71sportsmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

yes, the block is bad, unusable

my question is should I find a used block and rebuild ?

or try for all new materials long block ?

what is the recommended displacement if I go for a new long block ?

I would like to stay with a single carb in that is it fairly new.

Please note that I am not the one that will do the repairs.

Tks, Bryant
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

if you came across an AE case, low miles I'd say use it but they were rare even n 1984 when I owned a 1971 bus. Unless it is a matching numbers kinda bus I'd look to a new case. Many here can tell you what to look for because there are many different styles and vendors on new cases. You will need a bus style case with 3 mounting holes on the rear. As to displacement I will leave that up to you. The most reliable is factory 1600. That was what came in 1971. Robbie (Asiab3) and Colin (Amskeptic) have traveled the USA in a stock bus very reliably. I think Jeff Geisen did coast to coast also a couple years ago in his early bay. I made many cross country trips in mine. Today I have a 1977 with a different engine that you have but am very much aware of what owning a 1971 is like because I drove my 1971 for about 450,000 miles, and was a master automotive machinist, and mechanic at that time. Many folks here are equally skilled so you have chosen a good place to come to.

Most folks will tell you that a 1600 is under powered and they are correct. The national speed limit was 55 mph when most of these bays were in their prime. The bigger the engine you put in the more the heat it will need to shed, and the less reliable it will be. Keep in mind that someone who drives 300 miles a year has less need for an engine that goes 65,000 miles between rebuilds VS 35,000 miles. Someone who plans to drive 3,000 to 6,000 mile trips has to be more concerned about reliability and different weather driving. Something hot rodded with carbs that have no chokes and that will only work in warm weather won't work for someone who might take it out several times a week when it is 25 F outside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

Ok, here goes.....

I’ve owned 3 different 1971 buses for a total of roughly 30 years. Yeah, I’m an old guy. That said, I think my current bus has the best engine.

Read this;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710711

Feel free to contact me for more info
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I think my current bus has the best engine

And here I thought Robbie had the best engine. Shocked

Many different strokes for different folks out there. Although some people want to stay stock and some people want more power, I think we can all agree the the builder is most important. Find a reputable builder and see what he has to say.

SGKent wrote:
The bigger the engine you put in the more the heat it will need to shed, and the less reliable it will be.....Something hot rodded with carbs that have no chokes and that will only work in warm weather won't work for someone who might take it out several times a week when it is 25 F outside.

OP, the only thing your should take from this statement it that the larger displacement engines do produce more heat, which is easily managed with a external oil cooler and a nice set of heads. I run one of the largest displacement engines in this forum, hot rodded to use Sgkents words. My engine is 100% reliable, it sheds the heat with ease, produces 21+MPG on the highway and it has ZERO issues with temperatures under 25* without chokes.

everyone has a different opinion on what’s right and what’s wrong. Again, there’s nothing wrong with stock and nothing wrong with a larger displacement engine. A quality builder would have no issues building either, find a quality builder first.
’65 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

No I'M Sparticus…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

My first big engine (2007 cc) broke a crank after a couple years. This was in about 1984. Seems like we had that happen to another samba member about two years back
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

Welcome. I understand your confusion in what to purchase with wanting to make sure you get a good engine at the best price. That being said, I'll talk for a minute about your question. I think you're asking the wrong thing. What are you looking for out of your engine? reliability? power? cost? the saying "Correct, Fast, and Cheap. Pick two" applies here well.

The important part of picking an engine is who built it. The quality and attention to detail taken when building the engine will have a much larger impact than the size of the engine. That being said, there is a point where too big starts taking a toll on engine longevity. Where that point is... the world may never know. It is discussed in great detail over the forums, feel free to investigate. The Performance forum would be a good place to investigate that.

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

69-71 NEWBIE

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

All the above is correct. I limp along on state highways and back roads at 60mph in my stock 1600. Interstate highways or high speed routes are totally out of the question these days. Its just unsafe to be going 30 moh slower than everyone else ( average interstate speed seems to be 85-90 here in Colorado ). If you go high displacement, do it right with the right builder. Don't be fooled by catalog "turn key" offerings that are an assortment of Chinese garbage parts.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

Sportsmobile, you say?

May I suggest this thread for Sportsmobile lore:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215005

Also check out my gallery. I had a lovely 1972 Sportsmobile, which I sold to a family in Florida. I have lots of photos in there, if you are interested in restoring it to its former glory. Do note, however, that in 1972 VW switched to a completely different engine, so this is no help for your engine questions.

Also see my own web page on it:
http://www.tauxe.net/vw/ann
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mba71sportsmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

WOW Thanks Guys,

wonderful responses ! !

I look forward to working on this 71 bay window and find the differences
between the German design and the Brit design of my MGs from the same
era.

Again, Thank you to all of you for your feedback.

Bryant
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: new motor for 71 sportsmobile Reply with quote

mba71sportsmobile wrote:
I look forward to working on this 71 bay window and find the differences
between the German design and the Brit design of my MGs from the same
era.

Please keep us informed! I almost bought an MG before my bus; I wonder if I would prefer tea to beer nowadays had that happened…

Like others said, the quality of engine is determined almost entirely by the builder. Parts quality is selected by the builder too, but careful eyes and work practices will turn out a better engine on a used case than a neophyte with a new case.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: