Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

Maybe someone can help me out there. I’ve tried to find information about a NOS switch I have. It looks a lot like the early pre-a 50-51 rotary light switch, but can’t hardly find anything about that switch on the web. The terminal numbering on my switch tells me it’s really a turn signal switch, so I don’t think they are the same other than the looks? Also found this old eBay add selling the exact same switch that I have as a pre-a switch (if you look close it have the same terminal markings), seller might however be wrong. https://www.ebay.ie/itm/original-porsche-356-pre-a...41b768d504

Pre-A interior borrowed from the web, Rotary switch to the left of steering wheel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My switch

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottovu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

Had this switch in an old Messerschmit cant remember if it was lights or turn. But looked the same
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

Thanks

I guess it could work as a headlight switch. It has 4 terminals: +, L, 54 and R (not counting the lamp terminal in the middle). It has 3 positions 1-0-2. In 1 ”L” and ”54” has connection to ”+”, 0 is off/ no connection between terminals and in 2 ”R” and ”54” has connection to ”+”.

So if ”54” is connected to tail and parking, position 1 will turn on tail and parking light and ”R” is connected to hedlight, position 2 will turn on tail+parking+head light?
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

These switches were used for different applications in different european cars so they may appear to be something that they are not.

One tell tale sign of a headlight switch is the jewel in the center would be blue indicating HIGH beam. Also, there needs to be at least 6 terminal connections if I remember correctly. I have to check to see what I have for my split cars.

If you pull out the bulb receiver on the center light and hold it up to a light from the opposite side, what color is the jewel?

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

Yes it's really hard to tell from picture, but the lens is red. Also the bulb is wired so that the socket/ lampholder get voltage in any ON-possition.

Thank you! I’m going to put it up for sale and now I know not to put it up as an option for a light switch or under ”Porsche” section.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

It's not VW/Porsche as far as I know so "Other VW Related" is the proper category.

Mini-rant:
Don't list it as a Bus Ambulance fan switch.
I see people trying to sell these sorts of things as VW Bus Ambulance fan switches all the time.
They are totally different.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

No I already know its not an ambulance switch, but yes you can fint the same sort of switch wrongly listed as ambulance switch in classifields https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114673

It’s pretty cool as a ”accessory” switch so if it’s ok I might post it the section suggested or I might use it as a light switch for my car (fog or fog+long distanse lights).

Thanks Everett as well!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on that ad - I see I emailed that seller and they never updated the ad. It's updated now. Smile

I was trying to remember where else I have seen that switch - I think they were used in Unimogs too?
I'm not sure on that but I think they were used on some of those huge vehicles like that as turn signal switches.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

I've seen them in "work" veicles as well. The 50s Massey Ferguson tractor on family's farm has one, but it and most others I've seen have all been black, green or some other dirt friendly color. The white/ ivory color makes me think it's intended for a car? I think I've seen the same type in an old 50s Mercedes but I don't know if that was stock or non stock accessory. People have always added stuff to their cars. (borrowed picture from web).
prea50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre A 50-51 rotary light switch Reply with quote

You need this one :

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: