Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think we will make it?
Of course you will, you are stubborn enough!
74%
 74%  [ 46 ]
No chance, you might as well quit now!
25%
 25%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 62

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Ah ha, you beat me to it. Thanks you for posting it.

Yes we were very lucky to spend that time in “Skinner’s Paradise” he’s a legend for sure!
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Notchboy, you and I have given Ben a ton of shit over the years. Mostly do to his poor decisions in regards to his bus and help offered on his bus. However his new travel video stuff is getting pretty good. It went from “Girls Gone Wild”
To a pretty well produced Travel show. I like travel shows that showcase culture of other lands. Dare I say, it actually looks like work Shocked Wink
I watched all his latest videos last night. Not bad. Worth a look. I watched a show on Alaska him and Leah did (No bus stuff) and it was quality.
So nice job Ben. Shoot, you might actually have some of us rooting for you not to breakdown Laughing But seriously Ben nice job.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Hi Ben,
I’ll bet you’re glad you got schooled on which side of the road to drive on.
Best of luck and I’m glad your skin is getting thicker to the Samba Arseholes. I’m embarrassed by some of my fellow countrymen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Even with all the prep, this is going to be so much harder. Traveling from Chili to Alaska had the advantage of always being in and around the lands of VDub fanatics. You have the experience and the prep that you didn’t have but you are going to lose the local support that you received many times along the way. I still think you will make it but this will be a very different journey.

PS. Love the blue. Guessing some interior work is next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

I feel sorry young people who try this kind of trip in this day and age. 40 years ago one could largely blunder about the middle east and not get into serious trouble and I met many Americans doing exactly this, cursing in Cairo because there was no burger bar etc and these were people who thought of themselves as travellers. I hope you guys are more educated nowadays because back then Yanks abroad were cringeworthy and wouldn't last 5 minutes now. The only Americans I met who blended in were by in large screwed up Vietnam veterans who now couldn't face the reverse culture shock of going home.
I haven't had time to watch your videos yet so take the above as a generalisation, no offense meant! No offense meant to citizens of the USA either, it's not your fault that you're isolated from the rest of the world or that your culture is so kind of new in historical terms.

On a brighter note I have a UK friend who is doing the same trip overland to Australia. She is 5ft 2", buys a cheap Toyota 4WD and off she goes, solo. She never gets into serious scrapes (so far). She's driven UK to Timbuktu solo to donate a 4WD to a womans charity there and loads of stuff like that. What she has in her favour is 40 years of experience starting, like myself, 40 odd years ago. She started when you could make more mistakes and as things have become more tense around the world it's been a gradual journey for her and she's kept pace with the ever changing dangers. I wouldn't dream of driving though say Afghanistan because I got married and lost touch with world events on the ground, but she's done it a few times, "knows the way(s)" and wouldn't hesitate. One thing she would not do is sleep in a vehicle - too dangerous - and she laughs at my T2. She also built a house single handed with two kids under three on site, no outside help or child minding. I hope you get the picture, she's tough!

And having said all of that...most people around the world were ordinary nice people just keeping their heads down, bringing up their families, welcoming strangers blah, blah last time I looked.

Safe travels to you. Smile
JR_76BayMicro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

I watched most of your last series & will be following this one too , have you guy's watched or have you heard of "Long Way Round" & "Long Way Down" ? , Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman traveled from England to the USA and from England to South Africa on BMW offroad motorbikes , it may give you some insights . I think you will make it and will be happy to buy you a beer when you reach my town

John Re

Melbourne Australia
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Bumfuzzle (on this site) did it their 59 panel.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

I was just messing with you. Study up on the “pet peeves” of the locals (so you know what not to do as well as good gestures) along your route and you’ll be fine. Street smarts is crucial. Safe travels dude!
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
It is taking way longer than I hoped to get this Kombi road ready, but I really want to overhaul as much of the Bus as possible at least before we head of of Europe.

Sorry, just saw this, but can I underline that???? I'd like to think that's because we are all very determined to get rebuilds right. Wink

Cheers Ben!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words about the videos guys.

We're just doing route planning at the moment, it's a very long and complicated process for a bus, a dog and 2 people from different nationalities. "bad stuff" will likely happen, but we're preparing as best as we can to not mess up the cultural experience as much as possible. As for lack of VW people enroute, you are right of course. This will be the other major challenge of this trip. It's going to be costly getting parts shipped in. Hopefully we don't get ourselves into an impossible situation, only time will tell

I'm back to Kombi restoration by the end of the month. Still lots to do to turn every bolt. If any of you fancy flying in to the UK to lend a hand let me know Laughing

A bonus video this week. This kind of vid is never going to do well on YouTube, but i made it for the "airheads" so hopefully you guys will enjoy hanging out with us and Skinner.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Bumfuzzle (on this site) did it their 59 panel.

They drove it on the Panamerican hwy, like Ben has. Then they only took the bus around Europe before selling it in the UK because of the baby that got made in the back somewhere in South America. Wink

My 1968 Campmobile
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Episode 6 - Big improvements of the Kombi with the help of Wolfsburg West and Rancho Transaxles

Extremely nice people and we are very fortunate to have these legends getting behind our series.

Hope you enjoy the episode and thanks for watching.

Link

Terriers 2121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Episode 6 - Big improvements of the Kombi with the help of Wolfsburg West and Rancho Transaxles

Extremely nice people and we are very fortunate to have these legends getting behind our series.

Link

May I ask why your partner looks upset in the latest video?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Terriers 2121 wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

Link

"This Van Can Not Drive Around The World!"

AND a poopoo face? Rolling Eyes

You won't catch a fish if you don't go fishing. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

You won't catch a fish if you don't go fishing. Wink

Pretty sure this guy has never had a tuna taco in his mouth. But he sure has plenty of experience whipping a pole around Anxious All good but that tank top is embarrassing Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Terriers 2121 wrote:

A couple of reasons, living in a leaky breaking down bus whilst trying to restore it and having to travel between locations to do the work was very uncomfortable and quite challenging to do. This comes to a head in Episode 10 which we are working on now.

The reason this made it on to the thumbnail is because the thumbnail should tease a story in order for people to click it when they see it, and a high % of clicking is necessary for the YouTube algorithm to actually deliver it to the people who subscribed to view the video.

If there isn't a good story teased, people wont click and the video will be a flop. That's fine for us, it happens, but we don't want to let it happen for videos where a sponsor has provided parts to assist us, we want that video to be seen by as many of our subscribers as possible as it is the right thing to do by the sponsor.

The best story that is in 3 parts: 1) there is a problem (usually the most effective thumbnail), 2) we are resolving the problem, 3) we have resolved the problem and we have grown from the experience.

Most people who watch this series do so on YouTube, so the thumbnail teases the story for that audience, the video delivers on it. (as often as possible), The Samba is the only external forum where we post the content outside of our own website.

Arrow

Unless of course you are not referring to the the thumbnail at all and just the way that Leah's face looks in the video, it which case...that's just the way she looks and I like it that way. Wink
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Ben,
How far behind are we on the videos to what's happening with Kombilife today? Three months? six months? Not asking for any spoilers just curious.

Thanks,
Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

I post the video dates in the description box of the video on youtube.

This one was filmed in March 2018. Today I'm still building the bus, hope to have it finished by May 2019.

It all takes a lot of work, so that's why it's behind real time, but the upside is it's a better quality production, which I think is more enjoyable for everyone, and certainly unique.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
I post the video dates in the description box of the video on youtube.

This one was filmed in March 2018. Today I'm still building the bus, hope to have it finished by May 2019.

It all takes a lot of work, so that's why it's behind real time, but the upside is it's a better quality production, which I think is more enjoyable for everyone, and certainly unique.

Shit who cares about the delay at this point. You are upfront about it and more important it goes to show you are taking the time needed on the build. I like to see that especially from you.

Having the ability to line up the sponsors, taking the needed time to outfit the bus properly is imperative to your ability to travel, safety and wellbeing through some of the places you will be in. Wisdom is not given, its earned. Im glad to see you earned some Wink

Good for you guys. Keep churning out the posts and vids. Happy to follow this time around Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:

Wait, what? You're almost a calendar year behind in getting these videos up?

This is a Youtube video series, you're not editing Citizen Kane here! Let's kick it up a notch, k? Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: