Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think we will make it?
Of course you will, you are stubborn enough!
74%
 74%  [ 46 ]
No chance, you might as well quit now!
25%
 25%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 62

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
I guessed it would come in around 10 to 12 grand with the EFI. That was factoring in the Sidewinder, so I wasn’t too far off. I’d pay that for that engine.

yet all of a sudden the Subaru conversions I do are about 5k more...with a brand new short block from Subaru...and a 100% rebuilt and re-geared trans...parts and labor Think

10-12k....for what? 100 hp and festooned with china's finest? people need to get their heads examined

Agreed. If I'm putting 12k into an aircooled engine, I'm going new subi or new VW tsi/tdi with regeared trans. Or hell, just a new bus. lol 12k is what? 10-20 used 1600cc engines. For 12k, I can get a really nice Miata, or a used 996. Or 3 of my trucks... 12k I can get 400k troublefree miles... hmm... Just thinking out loud here.

I'll just leave this here for anyone who needs to remind themselves what 10-12k gets you... 2013 focus ST Manual, Honda S2000, 2009 wrangler, 2011 John Cooper Works mini, 2016 focus S (61k miles)... Just saying, Skills has a point, we should really check ourselves here..

https://detroit.craigslist.org/search/cta?min_pric...smission=1

Oh you girls. Always gota grump Evil or Very Mad

When a suby powered VW sells for over 200k, Ill agree. Till then, ACVW parts will remain a needed a necessary part of the hobby. Even if expensive and under powered.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
I guessed it would come in around 10 to 12 grand with the EFI. That was factoring in the Sidewinder, so I wasn’t too far off. I’d pay that for that engine.

yet all of a sudden the Subaru conversions I do are about 5k more...with a brand new short block from Subaru...and a 100% rebuilt and re-geared trans...parts and labor Think

10-12k....for what? 100 hp and festooned with china's finest? people need to get their heads examined

Well damn Skills! You shoulda jumped on to the "Give-the-wandering-adventurer-everything-he needs-for-free-to-give-us-updates-of-his-miserable-but-carefree-life." bus so you could get "free" advertising for your conversions when you had a chance. Laughing

Besides, he got a freshly rebuilt transmission too.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Laughing
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

Well damn Skills! You shoulda jumped on to the "Give-the-wandering-adventurer-everything-he needs-for-free-to-give-us-updates-of-his-miserable-but-carefree-life." bus so you could get "free" advertising for your conversions when you had a chance. Laughing

Besides, he got a freshly rebuilt transmission too.

Sounding kinda bitter man....

Im telling you the show is just that, a show. No different than a street performer or new move at the theater. You decide to watch and or even pay. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
[Well damn Skills! You shoulda jumped on to the "Give-the-wandering-adventurer-everything-he needs-for-free-to-give-us-updates-of-his-miserable-but-carefree-life." bus so you could get "free" advertising for your conversions when you had a chance. Laughing

I would rather dive pEnUs first into a china 009 clone

1700.00 delivered to my door. this is for a swap I am working on now. people seek me out. when you're that good there is no need to advertise Wink

so over the mediocrity of the aircooleds. I love them for what they are, but they are just not worth my time or effort anymore. last straw was the 1904 I built for myself. runs fantastic, no real issues but the time and money for the same hp as my snow blower? no thanks....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

When restoring old tube radios I search out and find the right tubes. I like the old radios for what they are, not what they are not. Like the people at CB I’ll upgrade where “practicable” but not to the extent that it diminishes the soul of the thing. For example I’ll replace a tube voltage regulator with a solid state one because the original tube ones run hot, and if they short out it will often ruin the unobtainable power transformer etc.
To me the car represents a valuation of the very intelligent people who dreamed, designed, built, marketed, sold, purchased, maintained and lived a time with these cool vehicles. I don’t mind the occasional bump in the road.

That said if I needed a daily driver for work it may be a-la Skills with a bulletproof subi engine, but then why not just buy a Subaru?

Good luck Leah and Ben.

Last edited by rkeller on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:

Didn’t say I wouldn’t go Subie, I just like that engine/ induction/ exhaust combo. Not mutually exclusive. Both valid. Since when is Farmersville, CA in China by the way? Clearly, air cooled has been dead since the ‘70’s as a viable power train for the major manufacturers.

I’ve always wanted to see what the limits of a top notch type 1 in a bus would be. Now I get to see it documented. I could swap the CB setup into my bus in a day in my driveway. I could also sell my bus and get a Winnebago Travato. Lotsa choices out there. All good. If your shop is full of paying customers I’m truly happy for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

Didn’t say I wouldn’t go Subie, I just like that engine/ induction/ exhaust combo. Not mutually exclusive. Both valid. Since when is Farmersville, CA in China by the way? Clearly, air cooled has been dead since the ‘70’s as a viable power train for the major manufacturers.

I’ve always wanted to see what the limits of a top notch type 1 in a bus would be. Now I get to see it documented. I could swap the CB setup into my bus in a day in my driveway. I could also sell my bus and get a Winnebago Travato. Lotsa choices out there. All good. If your shop is full of paying customers I’m truly happy for you.

I think Skills (and I) noticed a lot of China ancillary parts bolted to this new engine. It's a shame as most of the VW vendors can only source those parts to sell new.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

I think Skills (and I) noticed a lot of China ancillary parts bolted to this new engine. It's a shame as most of the VW vendors can only source those parts to sell new.
No doubt Bill, I’m sure there’s a lot of Chinese stuff hanging off my engine as well. I have the worst combo in the world. Kadrons and an Empi 009. Can you say dead spot? But that will change this spring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

German Asian Fusion? Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

If Ed & Janet Howle, a couple in their 80’s can go round the world four times in a bone stock 67 bug, you two can do it in Boomerang.

If you have a day when you get east, they live the next town over (Durham, NC) and would be a great resource. They have also successfully raised two sets of kids, three of their own and three more adopted. Not that you two are planning on any additional crew members yet, but if you did I have no doubt they would be adorable. If you can’t get hold of them, pm me and I’ll get you in touch.
Check out their write up on 67beetle.com
http://1967beetle.com/ed-janet-howle/

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

rkeller wrote:
If Ed & Janet Howle, a couple in their 80’s can go round the world four times in a bone stock 67 bug, you two can do it in Boomerang.]

What a couple of legends! Thanks for posting this.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Just wanted to jump in and let you know Ben and Leah...I watched the latest two episodes and they were fantastic. You guys are going to be set with an awesome build, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the interior.

Amazing attention to detail at CB Performance - wow! Any input on how you put a T1 motor into a '73 regarding the tins and engine seal? Just curious how that was done - I didn't see many details in the video. I dig on the extra details, even down to what bolts etc. were used in the build.

FWIW, I've liked all the videos you have made - the content is awesome and the production has always been good in my mind. Great work on the extra +quality for this season of episodes.

I caught that the interior is going to be finished in the UK - so I'm assuming you had to ship Boomerang over the pond and the're be a video about it? Very Happy

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words Mike. The interior is slow coming, I'm on an island limited supplies but I'm documenting my progress as much as possible and will share in a future video further into the series, as the shipping of the Kombi too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Episode 8

Link

How about that bumper then. I'm pretty relieved to get the wheel off the front.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

The rear bumper turned out well. Wish Id of know you had a bon voyage party in Imperial Beach Crying or Very sad Id of come down and sent you off.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

I would have loved to have that bumper on my old Splitwindow. I hope they reinforced the frame where bumper mounts.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Cheers for following up on the engine and its drivability. Really interested in how the fuel injection is working and what the mileage might be like. Thanks to you both for your informative and entertaining videos. Safe travels, Very Happy
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
... I hope they reinforced the frame where bumper mounts.

Nope - Do you think it needs it, the frame is pretty solid. It's bolted in in 3 places underneath on each side.

The bumper still needs work. We only had a few hours of fab time with GoWesty

notchboy wrote:
Wish Id of know you had a bon voyage party in Imperial Beach Crying or Very sad Id of come down and sent you off.

It was all a bit last minute, would have been good to do something more arranged. Hope you can make it when (if) we make the full loop back to the US Smile

rkeller wrote:
Cheers for following up on the engine and its drivability. Really interested in how the fuel injection is working and what the mileage might be like. Thanks to you both for your informative and entertaining videos. Safe travels, Very Happy

We got about 18MPG whilst moving a full van across the US. It could be leaned out a hair, but I'd rather have it running a touch on the rich side.
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: USA to Australia VW Bus Travel Series Reply with quote

It’s good to see you guys back on the road. I’m looking forward to your trip down Route 66. The search and build episodes are fun but the travel/adventure aspect is the heart of your series. Just make sure to pack some extra front bearings. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: