Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Okay. Hello everyone. had 2 bugs that got me thru high school, 2 that got me thru college. now im back at 35 to save gas on my 100 mile a day commute thru houston tx (those who know, know)

bought a 66 sunroof bug last month with a "topend rebuild, converted to 1600 12 volt".. its an F0 engine, singleport 31 pict 009.

needless to say, 30 miles in on the way to work it blew... oil everywhere, and locked up- but i dont think its locked due to heat because it would turn over a bit. then there was a big clunk and THEN it locked up.

i drained the oil and CHUNKS of metal are flowing like curdled milk, bronze and sliver, thin and thick. and of course, smells like burnt dinosaur blood.

dropped the engine out tonight but will need a couple of days to open it up... ive got a 5 year old and crazy schedule.

im really hoping the metal are from the rotating assemblies but i fear its all case and main bearings.

since i have to open it up, i want to step up to 90.5, w100, dual and ported stock valve heads, ict's, svda, and tir-mil exhaust

so i came across this, he wants $300. case number AK203562 says "i bought it off some storage guys who claims the car came in running but owner stopped paying storage fees." seller never ran it, but opened it up to modify it but ran out of time and money "i knew i was going to get it bored so i just started tearing it down"

what do yall think? if my case is blown to smithereens inside, is this worth it? i dont have $800 for a new case (carcraft bored and oil flowed) - do you think i would end up paying that anyway?

Thanks everyone

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gone but not forgotten: '70, '71, '73, and '74 Bugs | '81 Ironhead | '13 Monster 796 | '93 El Dog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Looks fine. Idk what that big ass hole is on the bellhousing, but that wouldn't affect the way it runs. Check that the halves are flat, that the mains haven't been cut too many times, and that the thrust still has meat. Oh, check the bores with a lifter.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

What is that Big Hole for? It's an ok price especially if it doesn't need an align bore or the lifter bores inserted. I think the AK Cases are a little better than the earlier AE

NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Idk what that big ass hole is on the bellhousing

yeah, this was my thought word for word haha - maybe a bad balancing job... i would have to cover it some how to keep the engine grit off of the clutch

these are the best pics i could pull off the phone, but its not much more detailed zooming in on my screen.

im going to call around to a couple bug shops and see if they have any cases theyve already inspected, and the price.. but down south the pickins are slim - everybody needs air conditioning so parts as plentiful as back home in LA

gone but not forgotten: '70, '71, '73, and '74 Bugs | '81 Ironhead | '13 Monster 796 | '93 El Dog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

If you can zoom in on the stampings on the oil cooler stand? Looks like that might be lined out to .060 already and 2nd thrust.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

It's easy to spend $500 machining on a $300 case, and still end up with crap.
Ask me how I know Confused
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
If you can zoom in on the stampings on the oil cooler stand? Looks like that might be lined out to .060 already and 2nd thrust.

its not much more clearer on the phone...
it could be 80, is that bad?? given the wear line on the middle bearing

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

You can already get one that is checked out and cut and bored for almost the same amount.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
You can already get one that is checked out and cut and bored for almost the same amount.

wow man thanks i didnt see this in any of my searches! what keywords are you using

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

I' always reading on here that stateside, you can still find working engines for 400$.

If you feel anything when your fingernail over the saddles, forget it. Something tells me with that vast market and cheap shipping , someone, somewhere is getting rid of a better block (newish?) for cheaper.

As for the hole, maybe someone wanted access to an auto-box?

Maybe he read Smokey and was using his clutch as a compressor? Laughing

Good luck with your rebuild, and from what i read here, you'd be better off with a CB2239 than the Engle W-100, and no compatibility problems with CB's light lifters, which are very good.

The other way to look at this : if you use it to commute to work, that new engine case will pay for itself by always being on time, not getting fired, or whatever. I dont know what you do, but even the self- employed don't like being stranded on the side of the road...and with kids....

If it's your daily, and you DEPEND on it, invest! It will be better in the long run. Building an engine around a crappy case is like building a house on a bad foundation.

One way to end up spending a lot more than planned is by trying to save a little at every turn. Heed ach60's words of wisdom.
Greg Ward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'd be super careful about that case, the only cases I have seen that have a hole like that (and it has to be there) is for VW engine based Aeroplane conversions.
The adaptor plate that bolts to the case at that end has to have that big hole for the starter motor setup.

If it is indeed an old Aero VW case, it might have been well and truly cooked before!

Just a heads up.

Cheers,

Greg
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Looking at the top open case pic. It looks like the dowel pin on the rear main has been pulled over from a seizure. It doesn't appear to be round anymore.

brad
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

What is that above the cam plug hole?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Bolt the case halfs together and see how much day light you can see near the bearing locations. If you see any at all for get about it. Keep shopping. The hole in the case is a turn off. I picked up 9 cases from this person "Oh ya they are good" One was useable only out of the 9. I still have it, the machine shop measured it never been line bored or anything, a keeper.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

That hole in the bellhousing is there because that case was converted to run an airplane engine. What you need to do is bolt it together and measure the nose of the case. MOST of the time, the nose is machined to accept a prop hub.

I have made this conversion hundreds of times before. If the nose diameter is ok on the case, then you may be able to use it. If it is machined for a prop hub, you cannot use it for a car as sand seal will not take up the space and you will be puking oil everything from behind the pulley.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Does No1 bearing dowel look egged?
Bolt the main studs up, look for light passing between the main saddles.

I'd be looking elsewhere tbh.
I've been down the route of throwing good money after bad with a case that was shonky.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Buy a Honda and put the Beetle up on blocks to be fixed right when you have the money to do a first class job.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

Pass, there are better candidates for less money if you spend a little time looking.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

You can get a better case for $300 -

I will do $40 for the case though. Laughing
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Worth the risk?? $300 Engine case Reply with quote

THANK YOU everyone... so this is a no haha

i appreciate yall getting me on the right track... its true i need to slow down and save up. either for a car craft or a pre-inspected case here

i have all the accessories off my current case and will post pictures once i split it open

im dying to see what happened in there, i know yall are too.

looking down the oil filler, the gears have little shinny knicks in them...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: