Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Quote:
ALSO....the same gun case will fit (2ce...TWO of them) in your upper luggage rack! Flambeau Express Gun Case 6448SC

Nice fit to the luggage rack! Almost looks like it was designed to go there Very Happy

So what will fit in the cases? Oil quarts? Coolant top up? Jack?
57daddy0d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, do you have any pics to go along with it? I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your setup.

Also, do you have a link to the gun case? I've never heard that 2 of them could fit in the upper luggage rack (that's interesting).

57daddy0d wrote:
This from (my) FB post:
A standard hard plastic rifle case will fit perfectly under there.
I bolted a gate hinge on one end of a 12" x 42" piece of plywood with angled aluminum edging on the long sides of the plywood to prevent bowing.
The gate hinge is bolted to the RF jack point frame member. The other end of the plywood swings down under the van so that you can slide the (in my case - very full and heavy) gun case onto it. I drilled a small hole through the floor under the bench seat to come out under the van about 5" in front of the RR jack point frame member. Through the top of the hole I slid a 6" Lag bolt to rest securely on the rear bench floor. On the rear end of the plywood I drilled a hole to meet the threaded stud of the lag bolt (underneath). Swing the whole affair up from the bottom (using a scissor jack if your gun case is REALLY full and heavy like mine) and bolt it to the lag-bolt using a big washer. Use a 2nd bolt to lock it in place or better yet drill a hole in the lower end of the lag stud (below the end bolt) and fit a cotter pin.
ALSO....the same gun case will fit (2ce...TWO of them) in your upper luggage rack!

I edited my prev. post to include those details, thanks!
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Link
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

I once saw surplus ammo tubes fairly long with water tight caps , they would fit under near the slider I'm still looking for them (flea mrkt item)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Aww I love this thread. This is so on my next project list.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, do you have any pics to go along with it? I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your setup.

Also, do you have a link to the gun case? I've never heard that 2 of them could fit in the upper luggage rack (that's interesting).

57daddy0d wrote:
This from (my) FB post:
A standard hard plastic rifle case will fit perfectly under there.
I bolted a gate hinge on one end of a 12" x 42" piece of plywood with angled aluminum edging on the long sides of the plywood to prevent bowing.
The gate hinge is bolted to the RF jack point frame member. The other end of the plywood swings down under the van so that you can slide the (in my case - very full and heavy) gun case onto it. I drilled a small hole through the floor under the bench seat to come out under the van about 5" in front of the RR jack point frame member. Through the top of the hole I slid a 6" Lag bolt to rest securely on the rear bench floor. On the rear end of the plywood I drilled a hole to meet the threaded stud of the lag bolt (underneath). Swing the whole affair up from the bottom (using a scissor jack if your gun case is REALLY full and heavy like mine) and bolt it to the lag-bolt using a big washer. Use a 2nd bolt to lock it in place or better yet drill a hole in the lower end of the lag stud (below the end bolt) and fit a cotter pin.
ALSO....the same gun case will fit (2ce...TWO of them) in your upper luggage rack!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I plan to add an under floor box on my euro bus build. It will out of aluminum diamond plate and be accessed by lifting a hinged floor panel. I plan on storing tools, spare parts, and awning room equipment.

Here is what I did.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More info is available in my euroBus topic in my sig.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
57daddy0d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

A standard 48" hard plastic rifle case will fit perfectly under there.
I bolted a gate hinge on one end of a 12" x 48" piece of plywood with angled aluminum edging on the long sides of the plywood to prevent bowing.
Flambeau Express Gun Case 6448SC
(Sale item at princess auto in canada for 20bucks CDN)

T

Last edited by 57daddy0d on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

These guys carried a container in the clamshell of their Syncro all the way to Argentina:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7743536&highlight=gallon#7743536

...and they did the same, to Tierra del Fuego and back:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634619&highlight=storage

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Every sock vanagon wheel I have seen has allowed significant airflow through it to match the large holes in the clamshell. It seems likely that the airflow through the wheel and clamshell is the stock path for a lot of the air passing through the radiator. I believe the later stock turbo-diesel vanagons in other markets had an enlarged air tunnel in order to further increase the airflow through the (oversized) radiator. It seems unlikely to me that VW would have made a significant body modification if the airflow through the tunnel/clamshell was excessive. Blocking off the airflow through the clamshell might not be an issue but it would be wise to proceed with caution.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
That will have no impact on cooling. There is plenty of room
for the radiator air.

No Impact on the cooling, but long term heat being blown off the radiator onto the storage container. It's not an immediate effect, but I've seen more then one dried out spare tire where the sidewalls are cracked over time.
How is the heat resistance of blue plastic container material?

It is something else to consider as your going down the interstate in August.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

I plan to add an under floor box on my euro bus build. It will out of aluminum diamond plate and be accessed by lifting a hinged floor panel. I plan on storing tools, spare parts, and awning room equipment.

The Western Syncro build
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:

I've seen someone make a similarly-functioning long drop down box in this same space for chock blocks, jack, etc. Doesn't look all that hard to fabricate.

yeah, like the seemingly simpler fab on the under tray and its good for batteries that are not frequently accessed.

i really like the simpler look down in a box idea that that the floor cut out allows for

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

I haven't had any issues. I doubt there's any measurable difference in airflow between solid storage and the stock spare tire. In my case (pun intended), there's plenty of room on all sides of the box for air flow. there's about 3 or 4 inches of inches above the box for the radiator / heater hoses and transmission shifter rod that live in the top of that space. There's about an inch on each side between the box and the frame and about 8 inches behind the box that is now open air where the old spare tire used to be.

PeaceVans in Seattle makes or used to make these battery trays for the space under the sliding door:

I've seen someone make a similarly-functioning long drop down box in this same space for chock blocks, jack, etc. Doesn't look all that hard to fabricate.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

But that box doesn’t look like it blocks more than the spare tire. I’d
like to see someone overheat with a box first. The Vanagon radiator is very robust. Not undersized at all.

The Western Syncro build
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

IMHO it's a valid question, VW raised the shifter floor on the diesel models to increase airflow through the radiator. Seems that if you block too much of the airflow with boxes, etc, it may affect the cooling in certain hot conditions.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

That will have no impact on cooling. There is plenty of room
for the radiator air.

The Western Syncro build
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Ryan Alfonso wrote:
Wouldn't spare tire storage boxes/bins/drums limit the airflow? The radiator is right there... Looks to me like hot air is supposed to flow through the radiator and down through the spare and out the tray. [here come the "hot air" jokes... Laughing ]

I have had the space stuffed with drybags. Did not notice an iota of difference in running temperature.
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

Wouldn't spare tire storage boxes/bins/drums limit the airflow? The radiator is right there... Looks to me like hot air is supposed to flow through the radiator and down through the spare and out the tray. [here come the "hot air" jokes... Laughing ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Under floor storage box - what are the latest ideas? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
true on stick models...Automatics don;t have that issue I understand

My Westy’s an automatic; it doesn’t have the box over the shifter linkage sticking down in that space.

Here’s another picture. The case fits perfectly between the frame rails. The photo perspective makes it look lower than it I really is. The spacer for the clamshell hook extension is 1.5 inches lower than the stock clamshell.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: