Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

I am getting ready to install the CB Perf. front disc brake kit on our '74 Super; however they left an important part out of the box-the INSTRUCTIONS!! I already installed their rear disc brake kit; at least that one came with an installation guide. When I called CB all they told me it is a "simple & very straightforward installation'
OK that may be true, however:
1) there is no mention of needed torque values for the brackets, calipers & wheels (usually lug bolt torque is different when bolting up to discs rather than drums)
2) the brackets are not stamped L & R; so no clue if the caliper is in front or behind the axle center line.
That's about it really. Why on earth they would provide instructions for the rear kit & not the front; boggles my mind really. They won't answer my messages regarding this; CB's customer svc other than this has been great. Hopefully someone here has installed this same kit & figured it all out. If I am missing something here ,please let me know! Thank you in advance!
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Wheel lug torque specs should not change.

Caliper is usually on the back of the axle center line.

Install caliper so that the bleeder is at the top, this is what determines caliper orientation.

If the hardware attaching the caliper to the hanger/bracket is the same as the rear, use the same torque specs provided for the rear calipers, if you no longer have those available, use factory torque specs for backing plate to spindle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Wheel lug torque specs should not change.

Install caliper so that the bleeder is at the top, this is what determines caliper orientation.

If the hardware attaching the caliper to the hanger/bracket is the same as the rear, use the same torque specs provided for the rear calipers.

Thank you TDCTDI for the reply! OK cool; what about bracket to spindle torque value? Have a great day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Edited my post at the same time as you responded. Use the factory torque specs for the backing plate to the spindle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Edited my post at the same time as you responded. Use the factory torque specs for the backing plate to the spindle.

OK thank you again sir! I will get to work on this after lunch!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

My Empi disc conversion directions say this:

Install the caliper bracket so that it is to the rear of the spindle. Yours may be different.

Torque the caliper bracket to 25 ft. lbs.

Torque the caliper to the caliper bracket to 35 ft. lbs. (They said to use a thread locker like Loctite, but I didn’t. Five years now and nothing has fallen off.)

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Also, hopefully you have two bleeders for each caliper. Bleed the upper ones only, as the lower ones are in case you wanted to install the caliper on the opposite side of the car. If you only have one bleeder per caliper, install the calipers with the bleeder in the up position.

I gravity bled first. The fronts first, of course. This took about 15 or so minutes per wheel, while I kept an eye on the reservoir and kept filling. I also used a clear tube, attacked to the bleeder, with the opposite end immersed in a partially-filled clear jar. Then, using an assistant at the brake pedal, we did the pump-and-hold final bleeds, this time starting at the rears, then the fronts.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

You can always give CB a call and they will be more than happy to clear things up for their set up.
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
You can always give CB a call and they will be more than happy to clear things up for their set up.

I did that twice; was pretty much told by them to 'figure it out myself" Confused
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
My Empi disc conversion directions say this:

Install the caliper bracket so that it is to the rear of the spindle. Yours may be different.

Torque the caliper bracket to 25 ft. lbs.

Torque the caliper to the caliper bracket to 35 ft. lbs. (They said to use a thread locker like Loctite, but I didn’t. Five years now and nothing has fallen off.)

Tim

awesome! thanks so much Tim for both of your posts! I have both front brackets mounted, the bearing races installed into the rotors; that's where I left off when the wife came home from work. I bought a tub of Mobil 1 syn. wheel bearing grease; is that OK to use for the bearings inside the rotors?
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Also, hopefully you have two bleeders for each caliper. Bleed the upper ones only, as the lower ones are in case you wanted to install the caliper on the opposite side of the car. If you only have one bleeder per caliper, install the calipers with the bleeder in the up position.

I gravity bled first. The fronts first, of course. This took about 15 or so minutes per wheel, while I kept an eye on the reservoir and kept filling. I also used a clear tube, attacked to the bleeder, with the opposite end immersed in a partially-filled clear jar. Then, using an assistant at the brake pedal, we did the pump-and-hold final bleeds, this time starting at the rears, then the fronts.

Tim

yes; I do have 2 bleeders per caliper. However I didn't have the equipment or tools to 'bench bleed' the master before I installed it; however I did buy one of those Motive power bleeders, that will work, right?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

When I installed my disc brakes (as well as new shoes and drums on the rears), i didn’t waste time bench bleeding my new master cylinder. After assembling all the components, I only gravity bled at the wheels, as I stated previouslu; then, for the final bleeds, I had a helper pump a little, then press and hold the brake pedal while I opened the bleeders.

Remember, gravity bleed the fronts first, rears last. Then reverse this procedure for the final bleeds.

Check the side of your new grease can on the label. It should have a list of uses, including for “disc brakes”. If it doesn’t list disc brakes, get a can of Valvoline grease (it’s red in color—the grease, that is—that says so on the can.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Sad that no one one at CB can type up some instructions, and a 1 cent piece of paper printed out and included with each kit.

I've had good experiences with Claude's Buggies and CB in the past.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm with CB Performance on this one. The entire front disc brake install is essentially covered in the front axle section for the Bentley repair manual, with the exception of the torque value for the caliper bracket to spindle.

A slip, or answer on the phone with the torque value for those bolts might be appropriate, but it's not hard to google "torque values for metric hardware".
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
When I installed my disc brakes (as well as new shoes and drums on the rears), i didn’t waste time bench bleeding my new master cylinder. After assembling all the components, I only gravity bled at the wheels, as I stated previouslu; then, for the final bleeds, I had a helper pump a little, then press and hold the brake pedal while I opened the bleeders.

Remember, gravity bleed the fronts first, rears last. Then reverse this procedure for the final bleeds.

Check the side of your new grease can on the label. It should have a list of uses, including for “disc brakes”. If it doesn’t list disc brakes, get a can of Valvoline grease (it’s red in color—the grease, that is—that says so on the can.

Tim

what about this stuff Tim?
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80401-Grease-Ounce/dp/B0053O9FQS#customerReviews[/img]
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80401-Grease-Ounce/dp/B0053O9FQS#customerReviews[/img]

That's my current go-to grease in the shop, ever since my preferred Castrol Synthetic grease (blue in colour) stopped being carried in Canada.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Junk, I can’t vouch for that Red Grease.

Why not just go to the local FLAPS and buy some Valvoline wheel bearing grease that states on the label that it’s also for disc brakes, etc.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

"ask, and ye shall receive!"
http://cbperformance.net/pdf/4284is.pdf?fbclid=IwA...er92E5n5vo
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:

It says right on the label "for wheel bearings", so use it.

FYI, the wheel bearings don't know if they support a disc brake rotor or a drum. It's just a marketing ploy to make you think the grease is special since it says "for disc brakes". As long as it's for wheel bearings, use it.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No install guide for CB Perf. Super Beetle front disc brake kit! Reply with quote

Looks like the CB Performance instructions forgot to give the torque specs for the caliper to caliper bracket.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: