Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Hey all! I have been having a blast in the Bug, now that the tranny holds itself together! Thanks Scott at MCM! Super fun to drive! However,.......

My engine keeps throwing the generator belt, if the RPMs get above 7000. Why? What am I not seeing or accounting for?

Back story, as most have seen my threads. I spent a few extra bucks for nicer stuff (twice), then getting it all dynamically balanced (twice), so that I could spin it up 8500. My calculated redline, based off of some material facts and off of some feed back from a few friends that have built engines that spun that fast. I did everything I was supposed to do, but every time the engine hits 7050, the belt get shredded and flies off. Check out the pictures. Not a horrible issue to have, except for the two times the engine has gotten past this magical number, 7050. Then the charging light goes on and I turn the key off! Coasting to the closest parking spot.

Let me know what you all think and any options that are out there. Thanks!

Since I did not have a spare on the second time it happened, I had to turn the belt inside out and run it the two miles back to the house. It worked!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am guessing that spot that is missing is the one down on the crank, but really have no way to prove it. Why would a belt disintegrate like this? The tension is spot on. Never experienced anything like it before!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Belt not designed to take the forces made by those rpms? Smaller crank pulley to slow down belt speed?

Or maybe tension the belt even tighter so it doesn't stretch as much at the high rpms. That puts more load on the gen bearings though.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Maybe go beltless and ad this to your pulley Laughing

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

"7050 rpm" is the key to the problem. Nothing on that engine was designed by VW to take that kind of speed.

I have a similar problem with the implement tires I have on the front of my sand rail. They shake so bad at 70 mph that the front end disappears in a blur and I can see day light under the front wheels. These things happen when we do stupid things to parts that are not designed for what we are subjecting them to!
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

I once had the same problem (at about the same rpm)- if you really want the thing to spin that fast on a regular basis you need a power pulley.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Simply put you have reached the limit of the fan. The fan can not push any more air above that speed and turns into a brake. The crankshaft continues to go faster but the fan can not. I have experienced the same issues on the drag strip. With a stock sized pulley I can not turn above 6800 RPM as I have always thrown the belt. I turn 7200 RPM with a power size pulley and no problems throwing the belt. Your only solution is not rev that fast with the stock size pulley.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES INSTALL A SERPINTINE BELT SYSTEM. It will not fix the problem, it will only make it worse.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Hi, please gdt that fuel filter out of the engine compartment, close to the spark machine, without clamps, ESPECIALLY as you're throwing belts around.

Happened to me once, full size pulley at around 7000-7500 rpm, and it blew the "1300" emblem off the lid. That's enough momentum to pull off a fuel hose. Best place for a filter is just under the tank. Check, you might already have an old one there, too.

Maybe try running a thinner belt, sits down further in the groove, and maybe try running the belt a bit slacker, letting it slip more. Just ideas.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Simply put you have reached the limit of the fan. The fan can not push any more air above that speed and turns into a brake. The crankshaft continues to go faster but the fan can not. I have experienced the same issues on the drag strip. With a stock sized pulley I can not turn above 6800 RPM as I have always thrown the belt. I turn 7200 RPM with a power size pulley and no problems throwing the belt. Your only solution is not rev that fast with the stock size pulley.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES INSTALL A SERPINTINE BELT SYSTEM. It will not fix the problem, it will only make it worse.

Thanks Dave! I had a feeling it was a braking issue of the pulleies, but it was just not working out in my head. You can see that the belt has been completely ripped apart where it was in direct contact with the crank pulley. That missing section is the same exact size! I knew the belt stopped and then the friction of the crank pulley killed it, it then grabbed on hit the generator pulley and launched!

Guess I have to turn the orange needle down to 6500.

Just asking. The serpentine belt will meet the same fate, since it is the cooling fan that actually stops the generator - correct? Never interacted with this belt system and have no knowledge of it, besides the ads and what is in some of the threads.

Damn it! It really feels good around 6800 - sooooo smooth! Scary smooth!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Hi, please gdt that fuel filter out of the engine compartment, close to the spark machine, without clamps, ESPECIALLY as you're throwing belts around.

Happened to me once, full size pulley at around 7000-7500 rpm, and it blew the "1300" emblem off the lid. That's enough momentum to pull off a fuel hose. Best place for a filter is just under the tank. Check, you might already have an old one there, too.

Maybe try running a thinner belt, sits down further in the groove, and maybe try running the belt a bit slacker, letting it slip more. Just ideas.

Thank you for your expected response. Carry on, please. Work on VW for 40 years (10 professionally) and then tell me about the filter. Thanks again!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
FreeBug wrote:

Thank you for your expected response. Carry on, please. Work on VW for 40 years (10 professionally) and then tell me about the filter. Thanks again!
d'oh!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

You are hitting the max hp you can transfer by a single belt. Fan would keep on going IF you could get the hp to it. BUT putting a serp belt or a configuration of belt that can move the hp.....the fan will explode. Hence the welded fans.....
I do not know how many rpm or for how long a stock or welded fan will take.
It is slipping and overheating the belt. Then the belt comes apart.

http://www.offroadvw.net/tech/wes/fan.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
FreeBug wrote:

Dude, it's your car...see if i care if it goes up in flames, just trying to help. You're going to tell me in 40 years, you've never seen this happen?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
FreeBug wrote:

SPARK MACHINE HAHAHA I haven't had a good laugh in a long time lol.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

What kind of belt is that?
Try a gates or dayco raw edge belt,and set it up snug....not too tight.
Nothing wrong with the stock pulleys, but to run over 6500 rpm often it would be smart to run a smaller cooling fan OR a power pulley, so the belt does not overheat so bad. Think about it, on ANY car, the alternator isn't rated to go over 10K rpm, but do the math and at redline it would......so it must be the belt slips.
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
What kind of belt is that?
Try a gates or dayco raw edge belt,and set it up snug....not too tight.
Nothing wrong with the stock pulleys, but to run over 6500 rpm often it would be smart to run a smaller cooling fan OR a power pulley, so the belt does not overheat so bad. Think about it, on ANY car, the alternator isn't rated to go over 10K rpm, but do the math and at redline it would......so it must be the belt slips.

this is true... on a platform we work on...
8,800-9,200rpm seems to be okay and 9,500 was cutting it close
(oem pulley and oem belt)

when we reached 9,700rpm = after the 2nd or 3rd run on the dyno.. the belt is gone \ flips.. so we used to carry 2 spare bnew belts.. then we got tired of it./.. LOL

now run an underdrive pulley.. and 9,700-10,000rpm is fine Razz

so in our bugs.. this must be the 6,800-7,200rpm region.. interesting though hope the OP finds a good solution... a smaller pulley would help yeah

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
My engine keeps throwing the generator belt, if the RPMs get above 7000.

I must be a wimp, because in 4 decades of driving beetles, I've never exceeded 5000 rpm !!! Even with my 1835cc engine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

I must be a wimp, because in 4 decades of driving beetles, I've never exceeded 5000 rpm !!! Even with my 1835cc engine.

Wrong!

My guess is that you are just a regular guy with a regular income who needs to make what you own last. Don't be ashamed of being conservative and taking pride in the longevity of your cars! You are in good company.

I do have an appreciation though for people that have very deep pockets that can walk the edge and show us what the limits are as I don't have the funds to do that.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

What are the specs on the engine? CCs, heads, carbs?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Not so much Very Happy different strokes for different folks, I too like the basic design and actually drove stock oval window beetles during the early 80s when they were cheap. Look where we are in the performance forum, these guys like a little something extra some of em like to go very fast. More power to them (pun intended) 😀
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Jim, Is this your engine with the Engle 110 cam?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: