Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Holes in head
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Can someone help me, As you see in the photo right beside the intake bolts I have a hole that goes through all the way to the combustion chamber which are tapped at the end. There are two on both sides of the engine. Could these be for some sort of emissions? This engine is a 1973 so do not believe they were for injection? Someone just ran a bolt through them to stop any leakage from it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Reply with quote

Yes. Those went to the air injection reactor system (AIR)....that bled air into the exhaust valve pocket from an air pump via a vacuum/electronically controlled valve to create extra combustion of the exhaust.

Hideously hard on the exhaust valves and the exhaust manifold flange. California models only.

So if its a 1973....that means its a 1.7L? And at a glance that looks like the cylinder 1 and 2 side right?

Was this fuel injected with D-jet or was it carburetted? If it was US is should be D-jet injection.
If it was a California engine it probably has the damn dished pistons....horrible to tune....lots of power loss...hot running.

If it has the dished/low compression engines...and you wanted to do a real service to this engine...if the lower end is still in good shape....order a set of these and give the cylinders a light brush hone...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2212478

Looks like he has a few sets. The domed piston should give it teh factory 8.2:1 compression...and 82 hp....much smoother running and cooler running.

The most common fix for the air injection system when removed is what you see....a 10mm bolt installed to block exhaust.

The real way to fix them...is welding. But that entails removing all seats and studs to do it right....so it would be part of a total rebuild of the heads...which should include valve seat replacement. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Thanks so much Ray! and yes you are correct it is a 1.7 L, and correct again it is cylinders 1,2 right side. As far as if it was a D-jet injection I haven't a clue. I am sure I can find out by the engine number? Thanks so much for the advise on the cylinders I will find out soon when I tear into it!
Thanks again much appreciated
James
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

whfd42 wrote:
Thanks so much Ray! and yes you are correct it is a 1.7 L, and correct again it is cylinders 1,2 right side. As far as if it was a D-jet injection I haven't a clue. I am sure I can find out by the engine number? Thanks so much for the advise on the cylinders I will find out soon when I tear into it!
Thanks again much appreciated
James

Um....no. The engine number may tell you nothing. Its a US california 1.7.....it should be D-jet injection. What do you have for intakes manifolds etc? Is this just an engine block with no intakes?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Strange this engine does not seem to have the head ventilation tubes (just under the leftmost intake bolt)...thought all engines from approx -72 had vented heads...?

//Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

No sir. I have intakes going to a Webber 32/36 dfev carb

Last edited by whfd42 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

whfd42 wrote:
No sir. I have intakes going to a Webber 32/36 dfev carb

Yes thats fine...but the vent tube holes have not even been drilled at the factory...maybe not having vented heads (rocket covers) was part of an emission thing....?

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Your guess is as good as mine Lars ? All I know so far is that this is not the original engine, The chassis is a 73 and I believe the engine is a 73 for all I know the heads may have been added to this block? Rolling Eyes
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

whfd42 wrote:
Your guess is as good as mine Lars ? All I know so far is that this is not the original engine, The chassis is a 73 and I believe the engine is a 73 for all I know the heads may have been added to this block? Rolling Eyes

What makes you think the engine is for a 73? What is the case code?

Its possible that if its really a,1.7L.....and thats a question.....have you had the heads off to verify that its a 90mm bore?
......its possible that its a 1.7 from a bus that had twin carbs. No head tubes IIRC.

But..i dont know if california buses with twin carbs and 1.7L....had the AIR system.

Or.....it could be that those are 1.8L heads and its a California 1.8L.

Also...do you see an empty 10mm threaded hole anywhere for the CHT sensor?

Pull a valve cover for us and look for a part number please! Are those even VW heads?

Lars....I will look in my emission charts and see. Its possible that you are right. Maybe no PCV tubes on an AIR system squipped car. Just dont know.

Ray
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Hey Ray, I am posting the engine code, I looked it up but perhaps I did not read it right, also they appear to be VW heads I also posting photos of them as well.
Thanks for all you help man!!

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Yes....thats a cafburetted 1.7 bus case and 1.7L heads.
Ray
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Ray, can you tell the year by the Engine code? also I need to replace cylinder head bolts do you know the size of these should be? Also where to find them the ones I find are for 1971, ?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

whfd42 wrote:
Ray, can you tell the year by the Engine code? also I need to replace cylinder head bolts do you know the size of these should be? Also where to find them the ones I find are for 1971, ?

What happened to your cylinder studs that you need to replace them?

I would measure the total length of what you have....short ones on top and lomg on the bottom.
Contact the type 4 store and/or [email protected]

About 8 years ago I bought some good used ones from type 4 store and Roy has stated that after 30-40 years of ACVW.....he has a surprisingly large pile of certain type 4 parts. He may have some of these.....or check the classifieds.

As for what year. There are lots of sites.....and I am on the road working so no access to my books.....but this site has a good breakdown

https://projects.davidplanella.org/vw-bus/engine-codes

Ray
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Thanks so much again Ray, I will give them a shout for sure !!
whfd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Holes in head Reply with quote

Got em from Ray thanks man!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: