Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A rite of passage
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

Who talks on the phone anymore?? Social media has captured a huge part of communication due to the unwanted intrusion of sales types. I predict phone numbers will be a thing of the past soon, bio-metric ID through social media platforms will replace them. That way you EXACTLY who is calling. Its all part of the global demand for transparency.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

A co-worker decided to have some fun with one of these callers. Most of them as mentioned have very strong accents so when he started talking my co-worker let him ramble on for a bit then stopped him and said with his best halting North American native accent:

"I cannot understand you. English is not your native language. It is not my native language either. Do you have someone there that speaks Ojibway?"

Every time the caller replied he would repeat it!

I wonder what list he went on! Laughing
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

I just recently updated my answering machine message to include the first full minute of the Theme from A Charlie Brown Christmas. Haven’t had a message since.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

I use ..' no speaky Engleee' or 'Chinese take-out'...then block. Very Happy

It is annoying those calls...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

I accidentally just answered one of those calls this AM. I thought the number was that of my drywall guy, but it was Angela for credit card services. Dammit!
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
A co-worker decided to have some fun with one of these callers. Most of them as mentioned have very strong accents so when he started talking my co-worker let him ramble on for a bit then stopped him and said with his best halting North American native accent:

"I cannot understand you. English is not your native language. It is not my native language either. Do you have someone there that speaks Ojibway?"

Every time the caller replied he would repeat it!

I wonder what list he went on! Laughing

And that’s what nocturnal emissions are made of, Embarassed
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
modok wrote:
Just hit 2 repeatedly, works sometimes.

I still have a land line with an answering machine. Listen to the message carefully. Many of the robo sales calls have an option where if you press 2 your number will be removed from their calling list.

This is VWRACERDAVE at the tone leave your name and message, and I'll get back to you.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
What color panties are you wearing?

Or, if they have a thick accent, I put on my mah bestest suthun drawl (Think Foghorn Leghorn here) & ask “Whut?”, “Whut?”, “Ah can’t unnerstan y’all”. After about 5 minutes, they’ll start cussing & oddly, it’s pretty clear.

how does that work if the thick accent of the caller is southern? does it devolve in to a scene from sling blade?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

if they are going to slow, and you have room to saftly pass them then pass them!! dam I thought everybody knew that....well withen the speed limit aloud. Rolling Eyes Hi everybody have a great holleyday!!!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

https://jollyrogertelephone.com/

Have a listen to some of his clips. Hilarious... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A rite of passage Reply with quote

I've been getting about 3 of these calls a day, up from one a week. The uptick started when I answered a unknown number because I was waiting on a call back from a company. Of course it was a spammer, now the IRS wants me to send them gift cards, or extend the warranty on my car..

The only thing that helps is I still have a phone number that originated in a state I lived in like 12 years ago. Anyone I could possibly still know with that area code is programed into my phone book. So when the spammers "spoof" my number/area code, I know it's spam just looking at the area code.

So maybe request a number from an area code you've never been to before. Laughing

It's still annoying, because I'll get calls VERY early in the morning sometimes.

I hope they find a way to shut these guys down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: