Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I use a spray gun designed for furniture for my car?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Can I use a spray gun designed for furniture for my car? Reply with quote

I have a WoodRiver Pro HVLP Spray Gun designed for spraying furniture finishes. Has a 1.4 and 2.0 tips. Any reason I can't use this to paint the KG?

I tested some epoxy primer and it seemed to work fine. But I am new to this.

Thanks.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use a spray gun designed for furniture for my car? Reply with quote

Try it on a test piece first. Not only tip size but compressor size matters also. I am no expert by any means, having only painted 4 vehicles in my life. An HVLP gun spits high paint volume at low air pressure.
I always set up my cheap equipment using whole milk for testing on cardboard as it mimics the consistency of base coat. I usually end up with about 24psi continuous ( set while holding trigger & adjusting air & paint flow ) to get a nice fan pattern with good atomization. Overlap & hand speed play a role in getting good results. Be a methodical robot when you move your gun. Base coat / clear coat versus single stage makes a difference, too. I've only shot base / clear.

Most primers are thicker than paints.

practice, Practice, PRACTICE !

Good luck with your project ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use a spray gun designed for furniture for my car? Reply with quote

I have never heard the milk trick. I may have to try that. Smile
Planning on doing base and clear also. Thinking I'd use the larger needle for the builder primer and the 1.4 for the base and clear. But all this is only based on research and not practice so far.
Thanks,
Matt
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use a spray gun designed for furniture for my car? Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a difference between the guns based on their purpose. I do know that your tip sizes will work.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use a spray gun designed for furniture for my car? Reply with quote

Some of the higher solid primers and clears need a larger tip. The paint you buy will have guidelines recommended by the manufacturer.
Also the paint gun you use will have a recommended PSI. Use that as a starting point. Start with the flow and fan wide open and adjust from there.
You can try practicing with milk if you like but it really won’t help you. Your paint will be different. Practice with water or lacquer thinner, but that is really more to familiarize yourself with how the gun operates and what the knobs do.
Above all, don’t be afraid. It’s easier and more forgiving than you think.
Just inspect thoroughly between coats so you can cure runs and holidays before they get buried under the next coat.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I use a spray gun designed for furniture for my car? Reply with quote

Only difference on guns is the ability to use it with certain VOC’s. Melt parts of gun. Of course the high end guns have better atomization. But you can color sand.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: