Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My stuck little oval friend
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

After a twenty-eight year void in my life since my last oval I made my first payment towards my next oval. Stuck between three trees. It was baja'd, has one early oval door and the rest is late parts. Semaphore car with cloth interior. Can't wait to drag it home and love on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Go get your money back..

Not trying to be an ass, but that is a project destined for failure
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

I guess you've never found an oval before.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

And thanks for being so speculative of my project.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Go get your money back..

Not trying to be an ass, but that is a project destined for failure

Dang....you're usually positive, what's up?

I'd like to see more pictures, is it on an IRS chassis? Seems like that was the thing to do in the 80's. Let's see it when you get it free from the trees!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Sorry, tone is hard to read on internet and I was short on words.

I have found plenty of Ovals and other VW’s and have learned from my mistakes.

1) there are plenty of Ovals out there and you could find a much better one to start out with. This one will have plenty of rot and as you stated not many original parts

2) I may have read it wrong, but you stated that you made the 1st payment...maybe you meant a down payment.

If you plan to build a Baja, maybe you’ll be okay, but restoring this one will be a challenge and require a lot of money/time. I was once given an Oval like this but, the time and money to bring it back were not worth it.

Does the car have family history? Maybe then it would be worth it. While these words may seem harsh, I’m trying to help you.

If you stick with it, I will wish you well and help answer any questions.

Sorry again
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

I agree with you there! I thought maybe you knew this car. With the prices of Ovals going through the roof lately, parts have followed suit. So unless you have an endless supply of early parts this can get real pricey REALLY fast!
On the other hand, there are a few build threads on here that have just built what they want, not using original parts. And their projects came out killer!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183

This is one that comes to mind first! While original aprons won't be cheap anymore to "un-baja" this car, it is possible to use later quarters with a Wolfe or Autocraft H apron and 4 finger apron. Cheaper that way.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Check the drivers side, it appears the roof/side body was creased due to tree.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Well fellas, I am buying this car as ovals are not common around here. I don't care if it isn't perfect. Everything is either fixible.or replaceable. What is stright is the rear louvres below the Oval window. I have cleaned up a splitty that was rolled to show quality. Neysayers move along, nothing here to see. I am not your regular f***ing run of the mill dumb@**. I am buying this for my project and however long I get to massage it back to a driving oval. Oh wait it gets better. It is going to be the VW purists hate. Hey, anyway thanks for the opinions. Now I remember why I don't share anything on here anymore and many of my VW friends have the same feeling.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

For what it's worth I think it's cool you found an Oval and if you are pumped about getting it and working on it, more power to you.

But I also agree with the person above that it sounds like you made a 1st payment aka a down payment on it?
This sounds weird to me but only because this makes it sound like it was a bunch of money to buy it. The pictures make me think this would be a car I could buy with the limited money in my wallet right now.

Personally I'd come back in a while after you get it and fix it up a bit and say "F you guys, here's where it's at now" Twisted Evil
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Good luck to you, my comments were meant to help you from putting too much into a car, when there are several out there.

You’d rather spend 100’s of extra dollars and hours on a heavily damaged car then drive a day or two to pickup a dry complete car? That’s my point

Plenty of good people on here, don’t let my advice stop you from posting. I’d love to see updates and cheer you on
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

I plan on spending at least 400 hours with it once I get it home. It just has to happen like my bus that needed 7 square feet of metal replacement. That is part of the VW journey to me.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

That's not stuck... this is:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Different VW, same love.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Love the five spokes with the small-five lugs! I’ve never seen them like that

Look forward to updates
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Here is some split shit that I did. Not afraid.

FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Love the five spokes with the small-five lugs! I’ve never seen them like that

Look forward to updates
Disc brakes stop on a dime. 5x112 from cip1. Polished aluminum.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That's not stuck... this is:

Funny Glenn. As a matter of fact my brother bought his 36hp distributor from you.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
For what it's worth I think it's cool you found an Oval and if you are pumped about getting it and working on it, more power to you.

But I also agree with the person above that it sounds like you made a 1st payment aka a down payment on it?
This sounds weird to me but only because this makes it sound like it was a bunch of money to buy it. The pictures make me think this would be a car I could buy with the limited money in my wallet right now.

Personally I'd come back in a while after you get it and fix it up a bit and say "F you guys, here's where it's at now" Twisted Evil
EverettB, i never pay all at once on my budget. My bus was paid for with one $100 bill from some ladybthat ran into my suby bumper, $100 that I won off of a scratcher ticket, and $200 that I had saved up in quarters and dollar bills. I wprked my ass of for the rest just to hang out with my best VW bus friends a BNNTA every year with Bill Bowman.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My stuck little oval friend Reply with quote

Bring on the stuck Oval. 😎😉😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: