Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

RUBBER FLOOR MATS

At the end of the LOWLIGHT era, in August 1st of 1959, the ALL rubber 8 pieces mat set, that included the Bulkhead mat, the left and right Sill mats, the Tunnel mat and the 4 Floor mats, was replaced by a combination of carpet and a 4 pieces rubber FLOOR MATS set.

The part numbers for the 4 Floor Mats remained the same until 1971!
In those 12 years VW introduced 16 different colours!

Here is a detailed document showing Part Numbers, Introduction Dates & correct Upholstery combinations: (Thank you Cyril! Wink )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As many of you are aware, with the amazing Ghia Community support, I started LOW LIGHT WERKS to develop the manufacturing process to reproduce the 8 rubber pieces. The biggest challenge was to reproduce the Front BULKHEAD MAT!

Today more than 20 guys in 10 different countries have one in their hands! And more are coming every week!

The project was a lot more complex than I ever expected, it took a lot more time and effort that I had planned for and it cost a lot more that I forecast!

The history of the related The Samba forum topic started over 15 years ago, on May 2003! Here is the link:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155849

As that topic was Low Light exclusive, I am starting this new topic that covers the Floor Mats for Karmann Ghias, starting in the Model 1960 (official begging is in August 1st, 1959) until the Model 1971.

It was mentioned that after that year, no more rubber mats were included with the cars, until the End of Production 1974 Model. I don't know for sure. If any of you has additional information from 71 to 74, please share that with us.

During the development of the Low Light project, many members asked that if the floor mats would be available for later years. Well, the answer is YES!

The experience I gained and a production line running, makes this new project implementation plan simpler and with a quick turn around!

One thing I learned, is that the reproduction parts are as good as the models from where the molds are made. If the model has any minute imperfection, it will show in the reproduced part!

So, before commitment to offer the later years FLOOR MATS, I have been searching for a nice set of mats. After few months, the search is over, I got a set that is almost perfect!

The mats were stored rolled. in this picture they are not totally flat, as the picture was taken right after they were unpacked. But now they are flat and beautiful!

It took me almost 6 months to have a practical manufacturing production line. Now I can produce a complete 8 pieces Low Light set in one day, as the mold curing time is 16 hours. The good news is that we can start production of the new mats right away, after making the molds, as I can use the same technique and production line, while the other daily set is curing!

Our good friend Cyril, from France, compiled the information I included. I was surprised to learn that in 12 years, 16 different colours were brought out by VW!

ALL Colours will be available in the store. The challenge is going to be able to match the colour options spot on. I have some pictures and references that give a close idea of the colour options, but the best way to be spot on, is to have an original sample.

Here is a table relating colors and years:

MODEL YEAR* COLORS

1960-1962 Rock Gray/Satin Blue/Malachite Green/Olive/Gold
1963-1964 Gray Black
1965 Anthracite
1966 Lava/Rust/Ultra Blue/Scarlet/Almond Beige
1967 Lava/Dark Brown/Clematis
1968-70** Lava/Dark Brown
1971*** Anthracite/Leather Beige/Palsander

* MODEL YEAR ends on July 31st of MODEL YEAR and start's In August 1st of the presiding MODEL YEAR
** Part Numbers Last Letter changed
*** Part Numbers Last Letter changed again

While a launching plan is set and the molds are designed and made, I propose to start a list of COLOR SAMPLES, to provide SPOT COLOR reproductions!

If you have a mat (even a piece will do the job!) that can be donated or borrowed, please send me a PM (Private Message) and I will email you the shipping labels needed! If you need it back, I'll return it to you after the Professional COLOUR MATCHING is done!

As a token, I'll send you KARMANN KEY FOB as soon as they are available!
(It took time to locate the same snap bottom design the original had. Key Fobs are been made as we speak, I hope to have the first batch before I go to Mexico!)

I will update this COLOUR CHART as frequently as needed, until all colours are matched. Initially, COLOURS will be set from pictures and available documents.

If you are interested in owning a NEW 60's KARMANN GHIA MATS set, please start participating in this forum!

I will start a campaign to benefit Founder Members! The more Founder Members, the better the special price will be!

So, let's start!

Luis
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Was this an option ? I own 3 1970 Karmann Ghia and none have the above.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Very excited for this! Can't wait to see them rolling off the production floor.
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Was this an option ? I own 3 1970 Karmann Ghia and none have the above.

Your 1970 came with the four mats shown in the photo.

If I wasn't already one of the unicorns with a set of Lemke mats I'd be all over this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
csc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Great news... I am interested. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

I own a 72, but have no idea what it came with originally, however it has the fasteners in the floor pan and I would be very interested in your floor mats whether original for my year or not. Thanks!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Would there be a demand for Right Hand Drive mats? I'd be interested in a set for my '68 RHD Ghia.
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Hi,

Wow, now that's a good news! I would like to get one for my early 60 ghia (OG paint is strato blue, don't know the mat color as I jever got them). No hurry in my case, I have a lot of work on the body prior to thinking about the mats..

I will follow it, thanks for your dedication!

Antoine - Germany
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Would there be a demand for Right Hand Drive mats? I'd be interested in a set for my '68 RHD Ghia.

Similarly I am interested in a RHD set for my '66 Ghia. I think Ultra blue would do just fine for my car.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

I know this is another thread, however I'm waiting for the numbers for RHD lower light mats to increase so such production can be undertaken.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Thanks for making this!!

I'm interested in a set for a 65LHD. (I had posted in the low light thread as well).
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
awini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

I have a LHD 66 KG coupe and the original mats were a shade of grey, i don't know what VW called the colour. I too need a set. Im also in for a set of RHD Beetle mats if they are ever made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:

Here is a detailed document showing Part Numbers, Introduction Dates & correct Upholstery combinations: (Thank you Cyril! Wink )

Nothing Luis Very Happy
I will look if I have pictures of floor mat colors in my photo archive in supplement

lajs57 wrote:

It was mentioned that after that year, no more rubber mats were included with the cars, until the End of Production 1974 Model. I don't know for sure. If any of you has additional information from 71 to 74, please share that with us.

Here is pics from 1972 US VW Karmann Ghia Sales Brochure, there isn't floor mat

Idem august 1973 from owner manuel from august 1972, we clearly see that there isn't floor mat

Idem 1974 VW Karmann Ghia Sales Brochure

lajs57 wrote:

Our good friend Cyril, from France, compiled the information I included. I was surprised to learn that in 12 years, 16 different colours were brought out by VW!

I hope I haven't forgotten anything. If any of you have a doubt I can do a check
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Could be interested in a set of grey (Lava?) mats for a LHD 69... Basically exactly what's shown in the photo of the 'new' ones above.

Is it too early to put even a vague price on these including shipping to UK ?
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

In supplement for August 59 to july 1960
Colors floor mat, green, grey, beige.
I will update the table tomorrow Very Happy
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Update for from August 1959 up to july 1960

Thing interesting the rubber floor mat of the 1960 model year looks a little different passenger side

The fixing holes on the top aren't round.

Who owns a 1960 with still the original floor mat?
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Thank you ALL for your Participation!

Well,there are few thinks to update:

1. From the 1972 magazine Ad, and the posting from Onceler, for Model '72, Mats were an option and the cars maintained the fasteners in the floor pan.

I will think this was also the case for Model '73 & '74 Karmann Ghias. If any of you have one of this Models, please confirm. Thanks!

2. RHD Mats. I will commit to make molds for RHD mats, as soon as an original sample in good conditions is available. ( Same for the LOWLIGHT set!)

3. Updated COLOUR CHART:
(Adding Beige in 1960. I'm assuming Gray is Rock Gray and Green is Malachite Green, please let me know if this is incorrect)

MODEL YEAR* COLORS

1960-1962 Rock Gray/Satin Blue/Malachite Green/Olive/Gold/Beige
1963-1964 Gray Black
1965 Anthracite
1966 Lava/Rust/Ultra Blue/Scarlet/Almond Beige
1967 Lava/Dark Brown/Clematis
1968-70** Lava/Dark Brown
1971*** Anthracite/Leather Beige/Palsander

I already got 2 PM for color samples! THANK YOU!

Please participate here to manifest your desire to buy a set, or send me a PM. We need at least 25-30 Founding Members to launch the project. I am working in the Store and the special price. Wink

Cheers!

Luis
johncocke356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

1960 mat. Footrest also unique?

GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation for the 1960 floor mat passenger

Here is pics colors floor mat. I put color matches, for the floor mats according to the vehicle colors or upholstery but it must be confirmed by the other members

60 black - floor mat rock grey

61 anthracite - Floor mat grey black

66 pigalle - Floor mat scarlet

1966 sea blue- lava

1969 oriol yellow - Dark brown

Luis you can count me as anyone wishing to buy a set
Caddy_KC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixties (and early seventies) Karmann Ghia Floor Mats Reply with quote

I would be interested in buying a set for my 1969 Ghia Coupe. I have been wanting some nice floor mats for my car ever since I got my Ghia. I missed out on the Lemke mats so hopefully this time I have a chance to get a set.

Thanks for taking on this project!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: