Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gina's 68 conv Ghia project
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My wife's first car was a 68 coup. Got this for her, had it shipped from New Hampshire to California. I know nothing about Ghia's but I'm learning quick! I dont have a budget. Guy quoted me the other day 30k, I dont think so...

Stripped it down pulled the body off Installed the new pans from M&T Manufacturing. Was not happy with one of the pans. 5/8 narrower than the other and 1/4 shorter. I did not have to trim it at all as a matter of fact, it was a little short. Would not recommend.

Getting rid of the auto stick and getting a 4 speed freeway flyer. Something better?

Need a recommendation for a rebuild kit for the 1776 engine, There are a ton of threads, I've spent hours looking through them. I know don't buy it from the catalog guys. Looking to buy a kit from a builder something to drive to work now and then with some get up and go. Twin carbs. Summit racing had a couple of interesting kits but I don't want anything radical.

Going 4 wheel disk brakes. Any recommendations? She wants it to sit stock.

There you have it the start of my journey...
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

Welcome aboard...looks like you're off to a good start.

My old '69 'vert was that same Oriole Yellow (L11K) with khaki brown interior and a black top. It was an A/S too, but I changed it over to a 4-spd. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones to already have a clutch cable tube in the tunnel. If not, it's a pretty easy DIY.
Good thread on the subject here ↓

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124538

Ask lots of questions if you need help with anything. Much Ghia experience here. Post more pix as you go along too.

Webcon wrote:
Getting rid of the auto stick and getting a 4 speed freeway flyer. Something better?

Some discussion on that very topic ↓

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365781&highlight=flyer

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658869&highlight=flyer
'69.5 Ghia convertible (sold)
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Webcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

Thanks for the info looking at it now. No such luck having clutch tube already there.
Ordering rocker/ heater channels from cip 1 the old ones have slide vents on the inside corners at the feet just forward the door hindges. Would like to to have them back. Do they sell after market kit for this? Or do I have to make something for this to work?
I have not seen channels cut out for this for sale
Webcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

I wouldn’t trust a kit, they are usually made up of the cheapest crap in order to reach a certain sales point.
Is anything salvageable off your old engine, like the case? Crank? Flywheel? You’ll save a lot of money if those parts measure out and can be refurbished especially if you want a 1776.
Repair panels for Ghia are by and large garbage. They don’t fit, and are not very well made and limited. You have to do a lot of shaping to get it right.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe
1962 356 B Coupe
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
1969 Ghia convertible
1970 Ghia convertible
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

Webcon wrote:
Thanks for the info looking at it now. No such luck having clutch tube already there.
Ordering rocker/ heater channels from cip 1 the old ones have slide vents on the inside corners at the feet just forward the door hindges. Would like to to have them back. Do they sell after market kit for this? Or do I have to make something for this to work?
I have not seen channels cut out for this for sale

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Karmann Ghias, so just thought I'd mention the fact that the Cabriolet version has an extra stiffener piece in the rocker panels that the couoe does not have.
Don't forget to add that back if you do a rocker panel replacement.

The forum Search feature here in the Ghia forum is a great tool to find more info on any given topic, as pretty much any question you may have has very likely already been discussed in at least one previous thread.

That is particularly true for rocker channel replacement info - several very good previous threads with plenty of great info/tips/tricks.

Congratulations on your purchase of the new project - Keep up the good work, and please post your progress as time allows.
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

Wow, I'm surprised that you could not find a Ghia in California. New Hampshire to California is one long haul. Best of luck on your restoration.

As far as the engine rebuild, CB performance sells complete engine builder kits. Kind of pricey, but you pay for what you get.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

30K seems about right. Unless you have the tools, the talent and can find enough donor panels. Even if you do, it’ll still be an epic adventure.
I recently put 20K into my ‘70 “refresh”and the body and interior were already done back in ‘94 when I did a complete pan-off restoration.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696460&highlight=rose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
30K seems about right. Unless you have the tools, the talent and can find enough donor panels. Even if you do, it’ll still be an epic adventure.
I recently put 20K into my ‘70 “refresh”and the body and interior were already done back in ‘94 when I did a complete pan-off restoration.

I thought the same, $30k is a fair price if it is done well. The days of $10k “restorations” are long past. Even when I do everything myself I end up spending $20k on parts and materials.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe
1962 356 B Coupe
1967 912
1969 Ghia convertible
1970 Ghia convertible
Webcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

I'm sure 30k was a fair price. He had a good reputation. I'm hoping to do it for 20k.

I looked high and low for a 68 and couldn't much of anything. I got lucky and found a picture of this on Facebook. There's not a of 68 convertible s for sale, every other year yes but not a 68.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gina's 68 conv Ghia project Reply with quote

Webcon wrote:
I'm sure 30k was a fair price. He had a good reputation. I'm hoping to do it for 20k.

I looked high and low for a 68 and couldn't much of anything. I got lucky and found a picture of this on Facebook. There's not a of 68 convertible s for sale, every other year yes but not a 68.

It’s like a running joke with me, every car I do ends ups costing me $20k eve with me doing all the work.
Best of luck with the project, should be fun.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe
1962 356 B Coupe
1967 912
1969 Ghia convertible
1970 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: