Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifthcenturycheese Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

I recently built a 1776 with dual Kadrons and am running a tri-mil header with single quiet pack. I am also using a German 009, compression is about 8:1. Compression check showed 1 and 4 at 145ps1, 2 and 3 at 135 psi. I have 135 main jets and upped the idle jets to 60's from 55's. I am operating the engine outside the car on a test stand. About 400 miles on new engine so far. Carbs are in sync. Dwell is 52degrees. Timing 33 all in advanced. Engel 110. Counterbalanced crank. Fuel pressure is 1.5psi

My question: Is it acceptable to be reading 330 to 350 degrees at the header elbow coming from #4 exhaust port? #1 is reading around 230-250+, #2 and
#3 are reading around 110 to 120 degrees where I could shoot them with the heat gun before the heater box... ??? I would like to get this thing dialed in before it goes back in. No pops and it seems to have good response to throttle.

Thanks for reading this, Mike.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

I can't attach any meaning to exhaust temps taken under no load.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

I think you'll get UN-equal temp readings at idle...

Its just the nature of Kadrons to idle better on 2 cylinders.

I would check temps at part, and full throttle blasts. Not easy.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Well, let's put it this way.... The rear apron used to reach 260 deg. when idling and trying to initially get everything dialed in. The under load test will come when I determine it won't burn the paint off the apron when it is idling! Like I said, engine has been in for 400 miles, cruises nicely at 70+, just asking some basic questions to get it dialed in. Type 5 Joe, I will give that a try....
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Check also timing at idle. Excessive temps under the apron at idle sometimes means not enough advance at idle.

Max
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

I think you have the cylinder numbers slightly mixed up.
Cylinders 2 and 4 will run stronger at idle, (the rearmost cylinders)

the NEW header overall will emit more heat than normal until the insides of the pipes are well coated in carbon, and this may take up to a thousand miles for the carbon to build up.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Well let us know your findings anyway.

Looks like a nice build. I know good when I see it.

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Are you running with the heater boxers disconnected? They need air flowing through

In any case idle readings with kadrons are meaningless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Yes, going to run stock heater boxes connected. Will get temp readings at partial and full throttle soon.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Nice looking engine. Get that thing installed and use the AFR meter to do assist with fine tuning the jets when under load.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

200 - 300 degrees F on the exhausts immediately after the heads? If so, those are DEAD cylinders, barely firing. Are you reading the pipe heat or exhaust gas heat?

Did you take compression on the cylinders? Are the wires good? Maybe your carbs are dirty - idle or main jets partially plugged.

Should be 1300 deg or more on those exhausts if EGT temps.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

fifthcenturycheese wrote:
I recently built a 1776 with dual Kadrons and am running a tri-mil header with single quiet pack. I am also using a German 009, compression is about 8:1. Compression check showed 1 and 4 at 145ps1, 2 and 3 at 135 psi. I have 135 main jets and upped the idle jets to 60's from 55's. I am operating the engine outside the car on a test stand. About 400 miles on new engine so far. Carbs are in sync. Dwell is 52degrees. Timing 33 all in advanced. Engel 110. Counterbalanced crank. Fuel pressure is 1.5psi

My question: Is it acceptable to be reading 330 to 350 degrees at the header elbow coming from #4 exhaust port? #1 is reading around 230-250+, #2 and
#3 are reading around 110 to 120 degrees where I could shoot them with the heat gun before the heater box... ??? I would like to get this thing dialed in before it goes back in. No pops and it seems to have good response to throttle.

Thanks for reading this, Mike.

I've never measured there before because it's not a consistent place to check from exhaust to exhaust system.

Use the laser heat gun to shoot the exhaust flange itself on the head and report back. Take the reading at idle after the motor is warmed up.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Kadrons have cold exhaust temps on some primaries at idle.

Its just their nature...

A set of Dellortos DRLA's or weber IDF's would behave completely different at idle.

Either way, reading need to be made at mid range and higher throttle positions with that set-up.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Working 12 hour days right now. Will take some readings tomorrow and post findings. Appreciate all input so far....
Thanks, Mike
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Carbs are in synch how? I use a home made manometer that I connect to the manifold ports. Works better than snail gauges and such. I suspect that is part of your issue. Also, I have not worked with your specific linkage. I like the simpler bell crank style (Scat, CSP) that does not have as much slop as hex bars. Assuming that you have to use the idle stops to synch at idle and then once off the stops, the synch can fluctuate a bit. Also, don't know if you are running balance tubes or not. Supposed to help smooth things out, but I don't use it since my synch is really good.

As mentioned, dual singles kind of idle on one cylinder per side. Bring the idle speed up to around 1500 and try it again. (not saying leave it like that, just do it to test. I suspect the temps will be more uniform.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this acceptable exhaust port heat for a 1776? Reply with quote

Also, you need to get the rear lower cylinder tins in place that go next to the exhaust ports or you will never pinpoint the temperature. Plus it is going to be all wonky till everything gets warmed up.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: