Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front brake hub differences
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Front brake hub differences Reply with quote

What are the differences between the '71/2 and late Bay front brake hubs? Planning on a late Bay brake upgrade to my '71. Does anyone have any experience of the new Empi hubs? Not planning on using them but thought I would throw it in to the arena.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hub differences Reply with quote

The rotors, spindles and calipers changed but I don't know that the hub itself is any different. Everyplace I look has 211-405-579 listed as the part number for '71-up.
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hub differences Reply with quote

I have seen that listed as required to fit later dropped spindles on an earlier bus, but whether that was a previously drum brake bus I wasn't sure. Looks like you might be right - thanks.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hub differences Reply with quote

my understanding is that the main difference is the later bays have thicker pads so they wear longer. Seems like a lot of work just for that.
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hub differences Reply with quote

I have an offer of a pair of NOS loaded ATE late calipers. Late Brembo rotors are cheap and plentiful, and I need to change mine anyway, so an upgrade is in order.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hub differences Reply with quote

You might want to do a search to see what is involved. The spindle is a different part number too. There is a technical bulletin on the differences. Have a good day.

http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/tm_v/TM_V_61.html

alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front brake hub differences Reply with quote

There was a good thread here that said you can use the '71 spindles with adapter spacers to take the M12 bolt:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556325&highlight
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: