Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Troubles...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

I have a 1997 Eurovan EVC with about 168,000 miles. About 2000 miles ago I changed the transmission fluid with Redline ATF. Everything was working great (an occasional hard shift, but nothing too bad).

Last week, I drove to work and parked. When I left for lunch, it was shaking at the stop sign, I kicked it into neutral and the shaking stopped.

As I drove, it reved up between gears when it shifted. I turned around to get her home.

When I got home, I tried to reverse into the driveway and it took a long time for reverse to engage.

So far, no codes or anything.

Is it time for a rebuilt transmission? Should I change the fluid again to check the filter for debris? What is the next step?

Thanks!
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

I would start by making sure the fluid level is correctly set.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

As stated fluid level first. You might want to try using the VW spec trans fluid since problems started after the change
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Thanks,

I've ordered a fresh filter/gasket and a dip stick. My plan is to do a fluid and filter change this weekend, break apart the filter for inspection and see how it goes.

Will report back after I get it done.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Mookacb wrote:
Thanks,

I've ordered a fresh filter/gasket and a dip stick. My plan is to do a fluid and filter change this weekend, break apart the filter for inspection and see how it goes.

Will report back after I get it done.

Do not set your level with a dipstick, level should be properly set with transmission at specific temp and engine running. If you are not familiar with the procedure I'm sure its posted multiple times. You fill until it overflows, then with the van level, running, and the fluid at something like 30C you top it off and plug it before turning it off. If this is not the procedure last followed, it could be your issue.

A second fluid change isn't a bad idea since you only get about 2/3 of the fluid out when you change. But, if your fluid level is off you probably don't need to change it, just need to set the level correctly. I've never heard of any problems using Redline and D4 is the right viscosity.
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Here is the update:

We dropped the transmission pan today. The fluid was almost black. Lots of metal specs (sand like) in the pan and on the magnet. There was about 1/2-3/4 quart less than the last fluid change I did.

No large broken parts.

There is a leak somewhere around the torque converter.

I put the pan back on and am thinking about next steps

The van has 168k miles and a new motor was put in 24,000 miles ago. I’m leaning toward calling German transaxle on Monday and getting a new transmission. Even if the transmission could run longer, we would rather fix it now instead of getting stuck in the mountains somewhere.
copper_90680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

You need to cut pen the old filter. Most large pieces, if present, would be in there
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

No big chunks. Just the sand like metal.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Did you drop pan last time or just change fluid? If you got more than a trace of sand in under 2000 miles it's toast

A coating of sand on first transmission change is normal though.

Mark pointed out that you can judge the color if you only changed 2/3 of the fluid. It's possible todo a complete chamgeifyouare willing to unhook lines and rig a flush and fill system but it's easier for most just to do three successive drain/ fill cycles, giving you about 85% new fluid.
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

I dropped the pan both times. Honestly, the original atf looks and smells better. It also had very little debris.

The 2500 mile old atf smells burnt, looks darker, and had more debris than the first change.

I’m pretty sure that it’s time for an “upgrade”...
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

After talking to German Transaxle the outcome is still unclear...

There are no 01P 927 733 AC Transmission Control Modules on the market. I can't get a warranty from them without a new module. Also, they do not have any extra pinion gears or other hard parts for my 1997 CWG transmission, so they would be rebuilding mine and if any hard parts were damaged, they would not be able to complete the repair.

Now what? They have a way to do a manual conversion, but will not do the work. Can I do this at home? Do I have a local transmission shop rebuild and hope for the best? I could get a rebuilt or re-manufactured TCU, but GTA will not accept that.

Any recommendations on a shop in the Portland area to talk to?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Mookacb wrote:

There are no 01P 927 733 AC Transmission Control Modules on the market. I can't get a warranty from them without a new module. Also, they do not have any extra pinion gears or other hard parts for my 1997 CWG transmission, so they would be rebuilding mine and if any hard parts were damaged, they would not be able to complete the repair.

Now what? They have a way to do a manual conversion, but will not do the work. Can I do this at home? Do I have a local transmission shop rebuild and hope for the best? I could get a rebuilt or re-manufactured TCU, but GTA will not accept that.

This is sounding like the beginning of the end for the Eurovan in general. If critical high complexity components are no longer available it is only a matter of time...
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

If you can travel some, ABC transmission in Tacoma, WA did us right. We pulled the transmission (In Bellingham, WA) and hauled it to them. No one in our area wanted to work on it at all. Its about the same distance for you (a little over 2hr drive).

Their prices were reasonable, turn time was quick, warrantee is good. As I recall they offered us a 50k 6yr warranty and they said they would pull it from the van if warranty was necessary. After we installed it, they asked we bring the van back for them to check it out which I think they required for the warranty.

Keeping in mind this feedback is only based on 6,000 miles of use but so-far so-good.

https://www.abctransmissionservice.com/
ncernitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

River City Transmissions in PDX rebuilt mine 25k ago, and it's functioning perfectly.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Mookacb wrote:

I found it here on VW online parts

https://www.volkswagenpartsamerica.com/parts/2002/Volkswagen/EuroVan/MV/index.cfm?siteid=216129

Put that part number into the Search engine and it comes up available?
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Thanks. They let me place an order but then cancelled this morning because it isn’t available.
copper_90680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Mookabc,

There is this outfit in New Jersey called Import Performance Transmission. These guys ae just as good as German Transaxle but without the attitude. You can ship your transmission to them and they will rebuild it. I don't understand the situation with your TCM. It is not burned or gone bad, has it? Why would they make you buy a brand new one in order to get the warranty? That plus the exorbitant core charge and what they would charge for broken components in the core made me think these guys are much too arrogant for their own good. I won't do business with them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Mookacb wrote:
Thanks. They let me place an order but then cancelled this morning because it isn’t available.

Sorry about that waste of time.

I don’t understand the new TCM requirement either. It sounds like a money grab, or. A way to backdoor out of a warranty by requiring NLA parts
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I don’t understand the new TCM requirement either. It sounds like a money grab, or. A way to backdoor out of a warranty by requiring NLA parts

01m/01p TCMs are known to have problems controlling the N92 solenoid on some shifts, or all shifts. That would result in hard shifting and premature wear on the transmission. The transmission rebuilder should not be responsible for providing a warranty against premature wear if the wear is caused by a malfunctioning TCM.

I don't think electrickery works that way
gtainc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Troubles... Reply with quote

Stripped66 has it figured out. GTA can physically build the 97 O1P transaxles, dyno them and ship them with no problems. The customer installs his fresh transaxle and the failed TCM takes out the new transaxle and now I'm supposed to warranty it. Don't think so. It is an unfortunate circumstance that VW no longer provides TCM's for these models. I would rather explain this to a customer and tell them why we don't build these than to have an unhappy customer who just spent good money on a transaxle that was ruined by his pre-existing part, at no fault of GTA's build.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: