Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idea On Rush Hour Traffic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Expressway idea on solving early and pm bottle necking:
Build spaced manned towers along prone areas with traffic lights.
Allow gaps between towers to move traffic along accordingly, and
have countdown timers visible on traffic lights...
Tower location would depend on area and on ramps.
This would create jobs too, and have a less stressful commute Cool...
What do you think?

Early towers
https://chicagology.com/wp-content/themes/revolution-20/chicagoimages2/1930traffictower.jpg

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!

Last edited by Evil Clown on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

They have a version of this on our on ramps. They have two lanes of entrance ramp controlled by alternating stop lights towards the bottom of the ramp sorta forcing a “zipper effect” since the populous is a mix of aggressive assholes & clueless idiots that can’t figure out how to merge by themselves. So they stop traffic at the bottom of the ramp & expect them to try this merging with 75mph traffic. Then again, when these lights are in use, the traffic is lucky to be moving at 30.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
They have a version of this on our on ramps. They have two lanes of entrance ramp controlled by alternating stop lights towards the bottom of the ramp sorta forcing a “zipper effect” since the populous is a mix of aggressive assholes & clueless idiots that can’t figure out how to merge by themselves. So they stop traffic at the bottom of the ramp & expect them to try this merging with 75mph traffic. Then again, when these lights are in use, the traffic is lucky to be moving at 30.

Yeah, the on ramps would have to be in sync with the expressway, of course,
and display a speed limit to follow to the next light Arrow

Quote:

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:

Last edited by Evil Clown on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zmichael84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Are you talking about traffic control ON the highway? That's only going to exacerbate the accordion effect.

Solution lies in autonomous systems being able to match vehicle speeds to each other and assist in lane determination and auto re-routing some vehicles to ease congestion. Basically, you need all vehicles networked together to share this info real-time and make speed and routing decisions for the "greater good" of traffic volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

zmichael84 wrote:
Are you talking about traffic control ON the highway? That's only going to exacerbate the accordion effect.

Solution lies in autonomous systems being able to match vehicle speeds to each other and assist in lane determination and auto re-routing some vehicles to ease congestion. Basically, you need all vehicles networked together to share this info real-time and make speed and routing decisions for the "greater good" of traffic volume.

Edited: Expressway...
I'm thinking it wouldn't have the accordion effect if lights adjusted to the traffic volume

Yes, and don't forget to use your turn signal Laughing

Quote:

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:

Last edited by Evil Clown on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
zmichael84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

won't need turn signals when the cars are driving themselves. Wink

Or even traffic lights for that matter...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Timed lights almost never work. once you introduce the left turn arrow into the sequence.

Despite the calls by the bike and enviro lobbies, the answer is to build more/wider roads! As the population grows, so must the transportation systems. Anything else is dreaming.
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Timed lights almost never work. once you introduce the left turn arrow into the sequence.

Despite the calls by the bike and enviro lobbies, the answer is to build more/wider roads! As the population grows, so must the transportation systems. Anything else is dreaming.

Phil, I sent you a pm days ago

That is why the towers would be manned with help from monitors

Think about it before :2gunfire: me down
Timed lights with humans monitoring it...
The light countdown would allow people to
take their damn foot off the brake in sync Shocked

Quote:

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:

Last edited by Evil Clown on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Education for the drivers would help a lot (an impossible dream, of course).

The real answer is remote workers.
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Education for the drivers would help a lot (an impossible dream, of course).

The real answer is remote workers.

Laughing Yeah, and put prisoners inside of them Idea

Quote:

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Evil Clown wrote:
Phil, I sent you a pm days ago

I saw it (same photo I posted but with a low temperature in the footer, maybe?), then five minutes later tried to re-open it, and now it shows unread but un-openable, and is locked with this message:
Quote:
General Error
Could not update private message read status for user

I haven't posted this to Everett yet. Might be easier if you just re-send it to me.
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

resent it..thght it was funny back to back pics Laughing

Thinkin on thread, would this be possible?

The prisoners..I'm jesting Wink

Quote:

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

In theory, there are central video facilities where traffic cameras and signals can be monitored (think of that scene from the remake of "The Italian Job").

But around here, on surface streets in a grid (not on a long highway), coordinating signals breaks down due to the left turn lanes and signals. There are a few long stretches of single roads with intersections, and that coordination (automatic--timed, not monitored) works during rush hour.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Stagger working hours, stagger work force need to be at the plant, use trains where possible, live closer to the job (tongue firmly in cheek, I commute via train 6hrs round trip)
Get rid of left turn lanes and make em all right turn only...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

It's the human element that causes the bottlenecks, therefore I refrain from wanting to add more human thinking to the mix.

The humans causing problems on my commute are driving the exact speed limit in the far left lane. Other humans have to slow down to 10 under regardless of their lane to see if the other human pulled over is their cousin Vinny. Panicked humans are still allowed to drive in Idaho too. If they have to use their wipers or God forbid, slow down 5 mph for any weather at all- it's gridlock and utter chaos- usually in the far left lanes.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Let me throw this into the mix -

it makes me mad that the state/federal (or whoever is responsible) are building express lanes with my tax dollars and then you have to pay extra to use them. Of course, the majority of people don't.

They should build roads that everyone has equal access to without paying extra. I'm okay with toll booths in the sense that everyone has to pay.

But quit building express lanes with my tax money that few people use.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Evil Clown wrote:
..and
have countdown timers visible on traffic lights...

This would be great for staging drag races. Get the rev's and turbo spooled up before launching. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing That would be cool

Oh, was thinking on manned tower idea, and
the "traffic cop" would prolly need O pumped
into the tower from CO emission Think

Quote:

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

The traffic gets jacked up when people look around and slow down checking a wreakeage. Or better yet, stop freaking texting while driving.

If people will also stop freaking tailgating it wont get traffic so much.

I work the niteshifts so I don't have to deal w/ the mess of traffic. I am surprised we don't have more road-rage killings.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Idea On Rush Hour Traffic Reply with quote

I don't even try to use Interstate 17 north of Phoenix on Friday afternoons or on Sundays. This stretch is same 2 lanes as in the late 1960s, and Phoenix/Arizona population has exploded since then. It's so hot in the summer that a zillion folks think that it would be a good idea to go north to the cooler elevations on the weekends (camping, hotels, 2nd homes), then rush to get home on Sunday to get ready for work or school Monday.

So many vehicles, plus left lane huggers, rear end accidents, in the past took me 6 hours on a Sunday afternoon to go 140 miles. The planners here need to smarten up and add at minimum passing lanes; they think reducing the speed limit to 55mph on holiday weekends is a good idea, but just makes the impatient lane changers drive more nutty !!!

Yes, Monday-Thursday traffic on that is much lighter....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: