Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Way to go Volkswagen of North America
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-restores-cancer-worker-apos-150820285.html

Link

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I wonder how many EMPI parts they used. After all, VWoA doesn't sell and air cooled parts... not for years.

BTW, I have 474,000 on mine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

They took her 67 and gave her back a 65???? I'd be pissed.

The rear apron looked changed, they headlights were changed, and I didn't see a center dash vent. That says 65 to me. WTF??

And what is up with that hood script?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Serp belt and Pertronix distributor.

Not "restored".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

We could pick this to pieces. On the dash is a 67 headlight knob and a 66 and earlier wiper knob. Not cool
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Taken as a whole and in the spirit this deed was done it’s a beautiful story. Car looks great, owner is more than happy Very Happy
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Taken as a whole and in the spirit this deed was done it’s a beautiful story. Car looks great, owner is more than happy Very Happy

x2 Though not to spec the car still came out gorgeous.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

And this negates all the legal action they took against VW enthusiasts over the years?

Sorry but I know of too many people that had their domain names taken away and threatened with legal action for using any of a hundred "registered" words.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

X2

But.. I will say I did shutter looking at some of the details that they added from the JC Whitney catalog. Laughing

The paint job however looked very good!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
But.. I will say I did shutter looking at some of the details that they added from the JC Whitney catalog.

Painted case
chrome valve covers
missing lower tin
aftermarket fan shroud
late model air cleaner

Obviously they purchased the engine from a vendor. I would assume they don't have anyone qualified to rebuild the original engine and no source for parts.

I'm sure there are German engineers that worked for VW in the 60s that are rolling in their graves over that engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
But.. I will say I did shutter looking at some of the details that they added from the JC Whitney catalog.

Painted case
chrome valve covers
missing lower tin
aftermarket fan shroud
late model air cleaner

Obviously they purchased the engine from a vendor. I would assume they don't have anyone qualified to rebuild the original engine and no source for parts.

I'm sure there are German engineers that worked for VW in the 60s that are rolling in their graves over that engine.

I agree but their intent was good for sure. I own a bone stock 67 and chased down every original part my engine was missing.

Only a very small percentage of VW owners are hardcore purists like us regulars. Of course, we're also the VW owners with the best driving and running VW's.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I agree but their intent was good for sure. I own a bone stock 67 and chased down every original part my engine was missing.

Only a very small percentage of VW owners are hardcore purists like us regulars. Of course, we're also the VW owners with the best driving and running VW's.

I'm just looking at the engine, it's not that hard since they had a complete running engine. I'll assume some parts were not correct but I bet 90% of the tin was original and could of been bead blasted and power painted.

But they don't have people that understand the importance of the original over aftermarket.

After all the fan shroud just blows air so the aftermarket one must be good enough. Rolling Eyes

BTW, either one of us could of easily rebuilt that distributor and Tim could of done the carb. They are just out of touch.

You want a "feel good" story, here's a local one where a family's SUV was stolen with a custom wheelchair ($8000) inside. A company that makes custom wheelchairs donated one and a car dealership gave them a new SUV.
http://longisland.news12.com/story/39618540/compan...stolen-one

H&J Medical Supplies in Lindenhurst
Generation Kia in Bohemia

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Read the description, and the car was restored in Mexico, which might explain some of the choices. A lot of the parts that ended up on the car would be much easier to find in Mexico than here in the U.S.

Plus parts that would have been on Mexican '67s (like headlights) were different than those on U.S. market cars.

I'd still drive it.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

In the end what matters is the lady was happy with how her car turned out.

That aside, I did think it odd they would install what appears to be euro light lenses all around (note the fluted headlamp assembly glass), and for heaven's sake why did they install the passenger footrest over top of the carpet? I did get a chuckle noticing how in typical fashion there's usually only a couple people actually doing work at any given time while the remainder of the group stands around watching the workers.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
I did get a chuckle noticing how in typical fashion there's usually only a couple people actually doing work at any given time while the remainder of the group stands around watching the workers.

They must have seen how PENNDOT works.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I saw this on Facebook this morning too...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a25459413/vw-beetle-factory-restoration/

MikeC
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Volkswagen of North America is welcome to do the same on my 1970 or on my 1971 Convertible.

They can contact me here with a PM !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

With all that they did I was surprised they left the license plates looking fifty years old. I know by law you're not supposed to "paint" them, but with all the other liberties they took, why not? It looks like crap.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I had the same reaction. It is now legal to restore YOM plates in California (that didn't used to be the case). But her black plates are almost certainly the ones she got in 1967, so they are active registration, not YOM. I don't know if that hair-splitting detail matters but for sure, it would look a lot better with correctly restored plates.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
And this negates all the legal action they took against VW enthusiasts over the years?

Sorry but I know of too many people that had their domain names taken away and threatened with legal action for using any of a hundred "registered" words.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I remember this Toyota Ad Campaign where you could name your car,
it was a hella cool idea.

The sad fact is that there is likely nobody @ VWOA Marketing that knows how "special" a '67 VW is.
I saw a quick snip of this, and noticed right away a crud load of stuff that was just plain wrong on the car.
If VW restored my 51 year old car, I would be very involved with making sure it was restored correctly.
I did a refresh on my ’78 in the late 90’s, I still have a box or two of cheesy parts that I ordered, and then discovered that they were wrong.
I would have thought a ’67 Beetle from California would be an easy restoration, but it looks like it can be an easy restoration to screw up.
I want to watch the full feature so I can find out what shop did this.
Reminds me of Fantom Works
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: