Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

I've been keeping my eye on this since I installed the thermostat and flaps recently. Since it was my first time installing, I researched on here and found this procedure for installing the thermostat:

1) Screw in thermostat to the link rod (I screwed in gently all the way up until I felt resistance). I also checked to make sure the link moved freely up and down without much resistance.
2) Installed the bracket loosely, and placed the thermostat inside the bracket.
3) Where the bracket sat in relation to the position of the fully screwed in thermostat, I then tightened the bracket. At this point, the bracket is fully mounted and the thermostat is screwed in, sitting high up off the bottom of the bracket.
4) Pulled the thermostat/rod down into its seat in the bottom of the bracket and fastened it down with the bolt.

Today I went for a roughly 5-10 mile, 20 minute drive. The temperature outside is 43* (feels like 39*). I took photos of before and after because I wanted to visually see if the thermostat was functioning properly, or if I installed it wrong.

Needless to say, both before and after look the same.

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After 20 minute drive:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does this seem normal for this temperature? I may try again with a longer drive (I never really got over 40 mph this time).

It's a bone stock 1600DP and was just tuned up including valves, timing plugs etc...

So, am I overthinking this?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Not a good enough test. Go get an industrial heat gun, like for taking paint off of walls. Then remove the thermostat and bracket from the car, but leave the thermostat in the bracket, because if they grow larger than the bracket allowance, they go bad!

With it out of the car, blow that hot air over it, for a little bit, maybe 4 or 5 minutes. You will see it expand fully. If it does not expand, go for another 5 minutes. If it still does nothing, you do need a new thermostat.

Also, with the thermostat removed, be sure you can push the flap rod up easily. Sometimes these get installed incorrectly and bind up in the head or on the flaps. Seen that a few times!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Not a good enough test. Go get an industrial heat gun, like for taking paint off of walls. Then remove the thermostat and bracket from the car, but leave the thermostat in the bracket, because if they grow larger than the bracket allowance, they go bad!

With it out of the car, blow that hot air over it, for a little bit, maybe 4 or 5 minutes. You will see it expand fully. If it does not expand, go for another 5 minutes. If it still does nothing, you do need a new thermostat.

Also, with the thermostat removed, be sure you can push the flap rod up easily. Sometimes these get installed incorrectly and bind up in the head or on the flaps. Seen that a few times!

I actually just went out and tried this under the car with a hair dryer (long nose of the hair dryer gave me a better angle than my heat gun). It definitely opens!

That said, it almost looks as if things may not be properly aligned. I may loosen the bracket and change it's angle a little, because the thermostat doesn't look like it is sitting completely "inline" if that makes sense.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Where the rod goes thru the head make sure that it travels smoothly... you should be able to pull on it and move it freely up and down with just slight resistance from the spring.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Definitely make sure that the rod or other parts of the mechanism are not binding, and that it is all free to move.

I don't have any cold-weather experience (southern California), but my thermostat will start opening just by idling in the driveway. If I remember correctly, the choke opens up and shortly after that I'm able to see the that the thermostat has started expanding.

I've also noticed that if I look at the thermostat after returning from a short drive of only a few miles around town, the thermostat looks fully expanded (or very close to it).

Regards,
Kris
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

This is a great read and well worth the time: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705328
It's like seeing if the light really goes out when you close the fridge door Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
This is a great read and well worth the time: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705328
It's like seeing if the light really goes out when you close the fridge door Cool

AWESOME. Thank you!

And thanks to everyone else too for their help. Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

If the thermostat is expanding all the way so that the top of the thermostat is in contact with the bottom of the upper part of the bracket, then you should b in good shape.

But to check ... when cold, remove the bottom thermostat bolt and let the thermostat pop up. Then pull the thermostat down and release it. It should pop up all the way easily. If not, it’s ganging up. I’d also tell you to test if the thermostat opens, but you know it does already.

I adjust the thermostat and bracket simultaneously. I remove the thermostat bottom bolt, then loosen the thermostat bracket nut. At this point, I push up on the thermostat all the way until it stops. This procedure simultaneously pushes the bracket up where it should be. Then, I tighten the bracket bolt, pull the thermostat down into its slot, and install the thermostat bolt.

You can check to see that your flap linkage is moving by having an assistant look in front of the fan shroud while you push and pull on the loose thermostat. Naturally, you do this before adjusting it.

If you’re not getting some really hot air blowing from the heads, your thermostat will not open until you get to 65 degrees Centigrade. Check on a chart to compare to Fahrenheit. I think you’ll find that’s pretty hot.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and 149 F, is equivalent to 65 C.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
If the thermostat is expanding all the way so that the top of the thermostat is in contact with the bottom of the upper part of the bracket, then you should b in good shape.

But to check ... when cold, remove the bottom thermostat bolt and let the thermostat pop up. Then pull the thermostat down and release it. It should pop up all the way easily. If not, it’s ganging up. I’d also tell you to test if the thermostat opens, but you know it does already.

I adjust the thermostat and bracket simultaneously. I remove the thermostat bottom bolt, then loosen the thermostat bracket nut. At this point, I push up on the thermostat all the way until it stops. This procedure simultaneously pushes the bracket up where it should be. Then, I tighten the bracket bolt, pull the thermostat down into its slot, and install the thermostat bolt.

You can check to see that your flap linkage is moving by having an assistant look in front of the fan shroud while you push and pull on the loose thermostat. Naturally, you do this before adjusting it.

If you’re not getting some really hot air blowing from the heads, your thermostat will not open until you get to 65 degrees Centigrade. Check on a chart to compare to Fahrenheit. I think you’ll find that’s pretty hot.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and 149 F, is equivalent to 65 C.

Tim

Thanks Tim, and Glenn for the video. My link is most likely ganging up, because one side of the bellows seems to expand further than the other, and not to the top of the bracket. I'm going to loosen everything tomorrow and readjust it. I'll update when it's fixed.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

I read somewhere that in really cold places like 20° of lower, the thermostat will not open all the way if at all. It helps the engine try to reach temperature in those cold temps.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Besides verifying that the flaps move freely, be really sure the vertical connecting rod has clearance as it routes thru the cylinder head. Just a slight tweak and it will bind. I had one that was a bit off, no matter how I tried to make it right it just wouldn't clear as it moved thru its operating range. Got another oem rod thru classifieds and it was perfect.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I read somewhere that in really cold places like 20° of lower, the thermostat will not open all the way if at all. It helps the engine try to reach temperature in those cold temps.

this

When it's cold like below 32 the t-stat will only expand if the air from the heads has warmed up enough this is why it is important to make sure that the sled tins and all the lower tinwork are in place as it actually holds the heated air where you want it... I mean that it does exhaust out the bottom but it's held in around the t-stat long enough to have effect.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Are new thermostats available?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Awesomepowdercoat.com fabricates and sells them.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Awesomepowdercoat.com fabricates and sells them.

Got mine thru them... $130 if I remember correctly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

Make sure your fail safe open spring is attached behind the shroud.
garyloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Thermostat-Type-1-65-70C-111-119-159A-p/111-119-159a.htm

Got mine through Aircooled,net

1972 Super Convertible
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

The thermostats show up from time to time hear in classifieds and are snapped up. I check mine from time to time in the winter and summer, jast have to make sure all if operating correctly.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat not opening in cold weather or paranoia? Reply with quote

I bought my whole setup from Awesome Powdercoat. The quality is great. The spring is definitely installed behind the shroud as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: