Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Back story. Bought this in 2005. Only 50k-ish miles (orig bumpers, windshield etc.). A prior owner had the outside painted white (although this is a one-year only Peach Red Metallic Champagne Ed II). Fortunately, it was a cheapo paint job and all the stickers, trunk, engine compartment, etc. were left alone. Cheapo paint that I could remove with a fingernail. Had it painstaking repainted back to orig in 2009-2010 (took 7 months). By the time I got the car back home, I was off to other projects....after projects...after projects...kids...kids racing....kids sports, other builds, etc. After all this time, this is the year.

Car has been languishing on the cold storage side of my shop under blankets and car covers for all these years. Moved my buggy project into the race trailer, pulled all the covers and blankets off of the car and pulled the car into the working side of my shop.

Sucked the old gas out of the tank (using the orig Bosch fuel pump as a transfer pump). Ran in some fresh fuel with heavily infused Chemtool through the system (I had previous changed fuel lines, pump etc). Purrs. Sucked that out (it's lawn mower gas now) and replaced with fresh fuel again and an appropriate amount of Chemtool. Although it's cold (Winter-cold), I can reach in, hit the key, and it fires right up. Got to love Bosch FI.

I went crazy and amassed nearly all the parts to complete/restore the car years ago (I want to do one VW show (it won't be 100% orig due to the disc brakes up front and I'm going Cal Look for the front window gasket (I hate the chrome version)). After Xmas, I'll start at the rear (clock my swing arms one tick), new bushings, shocks, etc. Then on to the front where I'll finally install the Disc conversion, and redo the entire front suspension. Need to install some new sneakers on the 914 steel sport wheels I have (they look the same as the orig wheels, but are slightly wider so 195 tires will fit). I blasted and painted those way back in 2005-2006. Then I'll start the assembly. Interior will take some time as I managed to score a perfect dash some years back (mine has cracks). I custom made a strut to replace the spring on the right hood hinge (I just kept bending the spring). I see the market finally caught up to me and now gas struts are available for the late SB hoods. Good. I'll snag a pair of those on install them (I had several pairs of SB hinges painted back when I had the car painted).

Anyway, here's to finally getting started on this project:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Viddy (poor sound): https://www.flickr.com/photos/15596624@N05/44445760050/

'78 SB CEII In Progress.

Last edited by DeMinimis on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Cool!
But after 14 years all the rubber fuel lines will need replacing right away, even if they were new before it sat. Use SAE J-30 R9 hose and real FI style clamps, nothing sucks more than a Car-B-Q.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Thanks. The lines aren't 14 years old. In fact, they're lined FI hose. They be good.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

I like the 78 Peach Metallic Champagne II. It would look good next to my 78 Ancona Blue Champagne II.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm actually getting a bit excited about the project. Hope I can find my old video or DVD from Controvertible Specialties. Haven't installed a new top since 2005(?) and figure I've forgotten more than I remember when it comes to that.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
sleeper bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

that color is freakin awesome,love it
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Thank you!

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

sleeper bird wrote:
that color is freakin awesome,love it

Well said. Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Back in '09 I amassed a large number of good parts (German or US). Started inventorying the parts and came across just a couple of my old invoices. Mother of God, I spent some money. Just the German side window scrapers were $280, for example. Rather impressed with my hoard of parts. In fact, I was quite surprised at just how thorough I had been when it came to buying parts (perhaps over the top). However, for some reason, I cheaped out when it came to the shocks/strut inserts (KYB). No worries there as those POS shocks/inserts, still new in the boxes, all lost their seals and puked out their gas/oil. I always go Bilstein or Fox, depending on what I'm doing, so I can't understand why I didn't here? Well that's corrected. So, ordered up tires for my 914 wheels, Bilsteins for the rear (I'll deal with the front inserts when I move up there), and the outer top. Still need to order up the Topline tapered coils (although I do not think it's really needed as I've been down this road before with my former '79, but what the hell -since everything will be new, I may as well make the coils new too) and Bilstein front inserts. Ordered what I think is the last of the little rubber bits (German) I'll need (door wedges, etc). I probably doubled up on some pieces and I may still find I'm missing a little piece or two as I do the top/windows/doors, but doubtful. Oh, and this is a bummer, I discovered my orig front bumper has a problem. As best as I can guess, it looks like someone used a bumper jack on the bumper. There's a spot on the underside that has scratches and is boogered up a bit. Also, there's a bit of a scrape at the front lower edge that extends up to the rubber impact strip. Probably not worth worrying about unless planning on shows (I'd like to hit one at least). Still, it bugs me. I'll probably order up the WW version as that is the best non-orig bumper out there. I'll wait on that until I have a full order of parts for WW. Anyway, I had hoped to crank out the rear this weekend, but doesn't look like my Bilsteins will be here in time. That's all I have to report. Edit: Bilsteins will make it Friday, so Saturday I'll get after it.

A question for you show types: Orig, sun cracked rear taillights or new Hella taillights (new are different as they are both L/R whereas orig was side specific)?

Oh, did I ever show you the stereo that is going in here (New/Never installed for 77/78 VW/Audi/Porsche)? I'll do a stealthy EQ somewhere (with blue tooth), but at least I'll have the appropriate head unit in this Bug.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.

Last edited by DeMinimis on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Don't forget, when you change the oil to run a Zink oil like Brad Penn... Keep from flattening the cam.. RB
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Thought I'd snap a quick pic. Don't worry, 914 wheels going on next week.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
Thought I'd snap a quick pic. Don't worry, 914 wheels going on next week

I'm not worried. May I have your gold 8 spokes? Very Happy

Only joking but there is an 80s guy in me that still digs those very much.

Just a reminder to enjoy your build while you are at it, the attention to detail is already teetering on insanity you know. Cool

Edit: That radio is the bomb. What a find.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
DeMinimis wrote:
Thought I'd snap a quick pic. Don't worry, 914 wheels going on next week

I'm not worried. May I have your gold 8 spokes? Very Happy

Only joking but there is an 80s guy in me that still digs those very much.

Just a reminder to enjoy your build while you are at it, the attention to detail is already teetering on insanity you know. Cool

Edit: That radio is the bomb. What a find.

^this.
Love the color.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Cool!
But after 14 years all the rubber fuel lines will need replacing right away, even if they were new before it sat. Use SAE J-30 R9 hose and real FI style clamps, nothing sucks more than a Car-B-Q.

Be careful guys.
https://www.tasteslikepetrol.net/2017/09/psa-low-quality-sae-j30-r9-fuel-hose/
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Mine's all Goodyear/Conti. It's a non-issue here.

Thanks for the compliments.

As far as orig vs new taillights, I think, in my case, new will be fine. I'll already get zinged for hood struts (vs those damn springs), front discs, and a WW front bumper. New Hella taillights probably aren't a big deal in the giant scheme of things.

As far as those old American Spirit wheels, I have six. One is cracked, and another has a chewed lip. That leaves four decent ones. Always planned on sandblasting the paint off for a nice dull luster, leaving the milled lips, and then clear coating them. I might do that then sell them. Ain't happening soon (too much humidity to sandblast).

Didn't mention it above, but I installed new Danish full pans a decade ago before it went off to paint. Orig pans weren't exactly bad, but the plan was (and still is) to build essentially a new car. Since I enjoy metal work, it was an easy call (easier to change them out as opposed to clean them up). Coated them with Por15 afterwards and gave it a mini texture by vibrating the pans with a pneumatic chisel. Although I have new orig style tar mats, I may spring for a Schultz Gun and shoot the floor and rear cargo area with bedliner first. The car is/was rust-free. May as well keep it that way forever, right? However, I'd hate to cover this up forever, but at least I'll know it's buried under there somewhere (rear deck and if you know your German it reads Peach Red Met):

I have been flipping back and forth regarding my windshield. I have the orig windshield. It does not have the sun tint and it has a rock chip (upon close inspection, it appears the rock chip was repaired, but it's visible). I had a Pilkington windshield in my former '79. It had a good sun tint and was really a good looking windshield, especially when matched with Cal-look rubber. I'll probably try and get one of those again and keep the orig wrapped up and safe for posterity.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

The paradox that is under coating. Certainly preserved the car, but what a hassle to remove. At 41 years, I was able to flake most of it off with my now raw fingernails. Think I'll back it part way out the shop and fire up the pressure washer. Assuming this was done before delivery by the dealer, as was often the case, this Bug is still rockin' the orig shocks (very brittle dust cover is coated with under coating). Still, I'm continuously amazed at the great condition of this Bug.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Worked up pressure and eventually went to my rotary nozzle. Managed to remove most of the remaining undercoating. What is left isn't going anywhere easily, but still have a lot to remove. Eventually, area cleaned up nicely. Paint on trailing arms, etc, was well preserved by the undercoating.

Hey! Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? It's a hose clip for the forward vapor canister hose. Two needed, but looks like I lost one. Thanks!

Spent most of the day removing undercoating. Caked on places it shouldn't be, like torsion cap, spring plate, etc. Old, brittle and, fortunately, it flakes off with some effort. Just takes time.

Last time I replaced torsion bushings (former '79 back around '05), I ended up with a crow bar whacking me senseless in the jaw. This time I decided to make a spring plate tool. Works great.

If not stuck going to listen to a little symphony tomorrow, I'll install the new trailing arm and torsion bushings, along with a new Bilstein. I'll probably shoot the well with new 3M undercoating first (only where it's supposed to go). I'll button that side up and move on to the other. I'll come back later and replace all brake and bearing components, as well as repack the CVs, with new boots, once all those parts arrive. Getting the good Bilstein boots is getting harder (unless willing to pay a stupid high price). No issues with any of that stuff, but may as well make it all new.

Oh, it does appear those were the orig shocks (made in "Western -Germany). Ah the Cold War. Good times. Good times.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.

Last edited by DeMinimis on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Wrapped up left rear. My old '79 was always a hassle (prior owner(s) screw ups, not well cared for, etc). Fixing up that car was always a chore. This '78 is a breeze. Everything comes apart nicely and goes back together without any issues. Installed new arm and torsion bushings. They all appeared orig and were just fine. Nice new Bilstein on there (nice shocks make me go all rubbery). New undercoating. Dunlops arrive tomorrow, so looking forward to getting my 914 steelies on. Biggest hassle was removing all the undercoating off of everything. Right rear isn't near as bad.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Didn't get far at all last night. Tires arrived late. Managed to only get one halfway on before I had to help The Boy put his Winter tires on his Stupidru (ice/snow on the menu this week).

I've been back and forth on what do to about my windshield. I have the orig, but it has a very noticeable rock chip in it. Looks like it was repaired. However, it really bugs me. So, I ordered up a German windshield (sun glare tint at the top). Hope it survives shipping. Tip: Cost about the same as getting a Chinese windshield from a US supplier (shipped to my door). I had a Pilkington windshield in my former '79 and I loved it. Those are no longer available, so I hope this German dealy is as good. Suspect it will be. That's the thing about being out of Bugs for a decade. Many of the old, good, brands are no longer available. Bug Pack, for example. It must have been a sad day when Empi bought them. I know I was sure bummed to find this out.

EDIT: No go with the German windshield. They won't ship to the States.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.

Last edited by DeMinimis on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Wrapped the 914 wheels in Lops tonight. Need to have them balanced (I can static balance them, but a high performance specimen like this stock SB needs dynamic balancing). Dove into the right rear. It's coming along.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: