Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric conversions-- on the way?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

That sounds way too high for hydro.

Also , CO2 has ocillated between 250-350 ppm for a million years, and now has jumped to 450 ppm. That’s a lot more than 1% man made

Last edited by Abscate on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

With range seemingly the biggest concern for an electric Vanagon, has anyone done a Chevy Volt style? A primarily electric vehicle, but with a small gas powered generator to keep the batteries topped up when necessary. The range on those are farther than most fully gas powered vehicles.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

I've had this fantasy using one (or more) RC gas turbine engines for electro generation. I guess it would work on the same concept as a diesel/ electric train, but with batteries as well.
Also, the turbines can burn just about anything, so petro chemicals can go right out the window...
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I've had this fantasy using one (or more) RC gas turbine engines for electro generation. I guess it would work on the same concept as a diesel/ electric train, but with batteries as well.
Also, the turbines can burn just about anything, so petro chemicals can go right out the window...

You and me both…someone is making small turbines for this purpose and it seems like it makes a lot of sense. Start on electric until the turbine is spooled up and then let it drive the generator. I think last I looked into this, it got pretty hairy with the rpm you could get from the turbine and how that translated to voltage (it seemed like you wanted higher voltage if you had those kinds of revs but then you might find you were working with 48v DC which complicates things).

https://www.hybridcars.com/wrightspeed-combines-gas-turbine-and-batteries-for-big-fuel-savings/

Quote:
The microturbine can run on CNG, diesel, landfill gas, or other fuels. It idles at 25,000 rpm, and Wright says, normally operates at its peak-efficient speed of 96,000 rpm.

https://www.bladonmt.com/micro-turbine-genset

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

My Vanagon is 100% electric. Paint is horrible, but it's really pleased to drive.
The way to do a conversion there days is to used a new, but crash, electric car. You can have ‘’perfectly functional’’ brand new (5-20K miles) electric car declared total for few $$$$.
Mine is build from a 2017 Chevrolet Bolt, but you can use a Tesla, a Kona EV, Nissan Leaf, Jaguar Ipace or others.
So, the nickname of my van is Vanabolt.

The mains reasons to drive electric:
Performance: 266 lbs-ft of torque from 0 rpm up to 4000 rpm and 200hp. This move the van a lot. If you want, this van is really sportier with no loss time of transmission shifting (1 single speed ratio).
Do you know what 1862 lbs-ft of torque at wheel can do? All this torque is always ready and instantly available under the right foot and this is awesome. It’s not comparable with the slow time reaction/transmission shifting time of a ICE vehicle.
Regen: The regeneration of energy (charge the battery). At each time you want to slow down the van, the motor can reverse and charge the battery with the kinetic energy of the moving van. You can almost always drive with only the accelerator pedal. No more worn brake pads or heated brake because during downhill you simply fill the battery. Same at each stop/red light.
Reliability: You know that a 2017-2020 electric car is way more reliable than a VW from 4-5 decade ago. Electric car are specially reliable with really few moving parts in the powertrain.
No noise: What a pleasant advantage! Of course in those old vans, there is no real difference at highway speed, but it’s so nice to move around at city speed, on the campground or in the wood without any noise.
No fume: Personally, I enjoy the fact that smelling other things than barely burned gas and oil. Don’t have to tell my kid to stay away of the tail pipe when I start the van and no fume problem in a garage.
Low operation cost: Right, electricity is cheap here, we are lucky. So the cost to drive 300 km can be as low than free* to 4$ (*some charge station are free).

Of course, I have to charge my Vanabolt (from 100% hydro here). Most of the time this happened when I sleep and take up to 8 hours to obtain 200-300 km of range (125-190 miles). Range will very in function of speed, climate, driving skills…. wheels alignment Laughing
There is also thousand of fast charge stations available today and with a fast charge I can obtain 100 km (60 miles) of range in 20-30 mins or a full charge in a bit more than one hour. Some other electric vehicle can charge faster than this. The Chevy Bolt isn’t recognise to have high performance at the fast charge station.

Anyway, electric car are awesome and my vanagon is way more pleasant to drive since it has loose his fuel burner engine.
Sorry for my bad english, I'm french Canadian

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

In NOW+5 years ICE engines will be obsolete and you will have to trade them in..

buy NOW buy NOW buy NOW!!!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

How much did the conversion cost you? Did you do it yourself and was it pretty easy?
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Yabert! Yes, more info and pictures. I've thought of this conversion myself with a wrecked Bolt. I have a Bolt and love its performance and have thought one would be a perfect donor for my Westfalia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

More full electric detail here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723737
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Here's an interesting article:

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-will-now-convert-classic-beetles-to-electric-1837900039

Quote:
VW suggests that the same e-Up!-based conversion method should work on Buses or even a Porsche 356—really, any of VW’s air-cooled vehicles should work, since they all used effectively the same basic transaxle setup. So a Type 3 Squareback could get the EV treatment or a Ghia or even a Brasilia or whatever. A Type 4 may be a bit trickier, but I bet not much.

Could this conversion method work on the T3?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

It started as an Air-Cooled, and it has the same rear power set-up. Logically, I'd say yes, it's possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Looks like it has a battery pack instead of floor pan
You would loose a lot of ground clearance there
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

I'm gonna use a wind turbine to charge the battery while I drive. (I'm being sarcastic by the way for any future comments).

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

So, this is a plan for the not-so-distant future.
https://e-syncro.potz1000.ch/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Irishcalifornian wrote:
I'm gonna use a wind turbine to charge the battery while I drive. (I'm being sarcastic by the way for any future comments).

The faster you drive the more electricity you make. Pretty soon, you are selling th excess electrons for profit.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
So, this is a plan for the not-so-distant future.
https://e-syncro.potz1000.ch/

Early on he says top speed of 135 km/h and later on says 120 km/h...not fast enough for me, especially if you're spending all that $$$. And will that tranny hold up?
90weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

These BMW i8 motors are becoming available 2nd hand. This one is the front axle motor and makes me wonder if it would fit where the spare tire goes on my 2wd.

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-parts-shop/bmw/...2014-18-2/

In it’s overall architecture the i8 drive train is an example of how I’d transform my van. Would cost a fortune, but it’d be quite an interesting Syncro.

R
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Am I to understand, that this motor is for one wheel?
if so, how much hrsprs is it putting out?
If it's pushing enough horses, I'd say it could take the engine bay (seeing as how the motor is now homeless!).
There was a French couple that mounted an electric motor to their Syncro tranny. They modified the trans to be R-G-L-H.

Or, maybe one left-rear, one right-rear, and one mid-ship to power the front differential.... $0.02
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That sounds way too high for hydro.

Also , CO2 has ocillated between 250-350 ppm for a million years, and now has jumped to 450 ppm. That’s a lot more than 1% man made

That needs a little correction. I just put into google a search for:
...baseline percentage of CO2 in eath's atmosphere

Search Results:
The concentration of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere is currently at nearly 412 parts per million (ppm) and rising. This represents a 47 percent increase since the beginning of the Industrial Age, when the concentration was near 280 ppm, and an 11 percent increase since 2000, when it was near 370 ppm.

This is slightly out of date- this summer it has topped 415 ppm.
But since this figure goes up rapidly and comes down only after hundreds of years, even if we we cease most CO2 emissions, globally, we are locked into a high levels, thus increasing warming, for centuries. And watch out also for methane, aka CH4, now. It's coming off melting arctic permafrost as it melts, and off arctic ocean floors as waters warm-- esspecially as sunlight is no longer blocked by ice on the surfaces of arctic seas. [Although CH4 has a much shorter life in the atmosphere than CO2 has -"only" somewhat over a century- it is 20 to 100 times as strong a greenhouse gas in the short run. And as the methane emissions in the arctic have no point source, we can't stop it or collect it for uses.] Careful attention to what we grow on earth can increase the absorption of these gasses, but even with the best efforts, it would now take several centuries to begin to see a cooling of the planet, which by then would be in the thpousands! By then the oceans would be hundreds of feet higher than today, seriously constricting the area of lands where we could drive our cars! In the meantime, let's all support anyor all efforts to bring to market kits to convert our vans to electric!
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

I know a guy up here that’s put a Prius engine in a 67. Lots of fab work. Had it on a rotisserie and made it happen.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: