Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just picked up my first sandrail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vuoso86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Got my first sandrail, new to the VW scene. From what I can gather it’s a linkpin front end, IRS rear, 2332 engine. I spend more time in the dirt (ocotillo) so I’m guessing I’m going to have to make some changes to the front end. Any input on what I can do to set it up for dirt rather than sand would be appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Do tell: specs on 2332?
I’ve got one in my rail and it motors up anything that gets in its way.
For dirt primarily, probably looking at both front and rear tires. I’ve got an old set of terra tires for the rail for if and when it goes in dirt. Others will likely have more contemporary options for you.
Like the 4seat option you’ve got. That’s one thing I wish I had (but then again, this one had the 2332, so . . . . There you go.)
I’m intrigued by the rear shock placement and would be interested to hear folk weigh in on the thrubolt mounting.
Nice find. Good luck and have fun.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Cool car should scoot with the big motor!

You'll probably end up wanting to add front brakes!
Vuoso86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
Do tell: specs on 2332?
I’ve got one in my rail and it motors up anything that gets in its way.
For dirt primarily, probably looking at both front and rear tires. I’ve got an old set of terra tires for the rail for if and when it goes in dirt. Others will likely have more contemporary options for you.
Like the 4seat option you’ve got. That’s one thing I wish I had (but then again, this one had the 2332, so . . . . There you go.)
I’m intrigued by the rear shock placement and would be interested to hear folk weigh in on the thrubolt mounting.
Nice find. Good luck and have fun.

As far as the specs go from what I’m told it’s a forged crank, Porsche rods and I think I have the cam info somewhere but not off the top of my head. Currently looking for some wheels that will work, I’m guessing I need an adapter for the front to run a 4 lug wheels and my little brother works at a tire shop so I’m sure he’ll have some input on what tires to run. Still unsure of what size and all that.
Vuoso86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Cody Loren wrote:
Cool car should scoot with the big motor!

You'll probably end up wanting to add front brakes!

Thanks ! I was wondering about the brakes, reading up on it and you hear yes and no.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

If you're ever up in rancho I've probably got drums complete with backing plates shoes and wheel cylinders you can have. I can check tomorrow
Vuoso86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Cody Loren wrote:
If you're ever up in rancho I've probably got drums complete with backing plates shoes and wheel cylinders you can have. I can check tomorrow

That would be awesome, thanks !
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Are you open to suggestions on engine updates/changes?
Vuoso86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Are you open to suggestions on engine updates/changes?

Yah, I’m new to all of this so anything helps
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

looks like a Sand Cars Unlimited frame to me. front tires with tread will kick rocks in your face. No front brakes needed in my opinion.

needs suspension seats.
Cody Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

This is what I have. Like I said you're welcome to them if you can use them.
Vuoso86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Cody Loren wrote:
This is what I have. Like I said you're welcome to them if you can use them.

Right on I’ll have to hit you up when I get a day off
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

For sand dunes like Glamis...No front brakes.

For general purpose desert...PUT ON FRONT BRAKES!!!!

My buddy who grew up around sand rails is always amazed at how much quicker my buggy stops than his. He's rear-ended me HARD before because he couldn't stop in time. My car has drum brakes all around. His has disc brakes only on the back. I've been telling him for years. He STILL doesn't get it. Rolling Eyes [/u]
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Keep a look out for a complete front end, I found a 6in wider beam complete drum to drum for $500 last year.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

I stand by my opinion. Don't waste your time trying to get old ass drums to work on the front and work with the disks in the rear. It's gonna be a turd. Get it running, go cruise the desert with all the other rails out there with no front brakes. Or not. Up to you. See y'all out there!
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

Drums in the front are much better then nothing and can upgrade at anytime. Front brakes may require a different master cylinder depending on what you have or at minimum a prop valve. I drove a buggy in the desert with a Honda v6 and only rear brakes, using the brakes would fairly easily lock the rear up and try to put the car sideways. Scared me the first time lol.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up my first sandrail Reply with quote

I'm assuming with that fan shroud the oil cooler has one of those block off plates that runs the lines to a remote cooler? Those center mount shrouds are not the most efficient for cooling, they are basically just an empty shell with no vanes or anything inside to direct the air over the appropriate places. The issue with those block off plates is due to the design of the oil system, oil is allowed to bypass to cooler and go directly back to the sump. They are not the most efficient system.

I would swap out the shroud for a stock unit, either a Thing or modified Type 1, with a stock doghouse cooler. You could then full-flow the case and add a true oil filter and plumb in an additional external cooler on a thermostat if you think you need it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: