Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice needed: Building a split window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HippieCPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

Longtime fan, first time caller here! I've long had dreams of buying a split window and fulfilling my dreams. For years I've delayed the decision and mainly due to cost OR having to wait a year to have my local shop rebuild one. So I have been looking lately at Brazilian buses and I am sure I'd get some flack here but I do have questions for those that wish to help. I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

I'd be looking to buy a 71 to 75 split but due to my extensive volunteering with the Boy Scouts I'd need a camper insert. (See... I'm old and the kids have to tent it...I can crash in the bus!) I rarely have time for mechanical work these days so I'd prefer one in better mechanical shape especially so I don't have to worry wife and kids breaking down too much.

Here si a link at one I'm looking at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12tmLA_aLBgQLM6ysMEc8zYDvj5sT4RuH

My questions are:
1. What sized engine would be best to look for? 1,500?
2. Is the fresh air vent something I definitely want to look for? Mind you we live in NC and it is so hot and humid here!
3. On that note would safari windows even help with humid days here?
4. How helpful is a Swamp cooler?
5. What else should I be looking for?

Thanks much!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

HippieCPA wrote:
Longtime fan, first time caller here! I've long had dreams of buying a split window and fulfilling my dreams. For years I've delayed the decision and mainly due to cost OR having to wait a year to have my local shop rebuild one. So I have been looking lately at Brazilian buses and I am sure I'd get some flack here but I do have questions for those that wish to help. I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

I'd be looking to buy a 71 to 75 split but due to my extensive volunteering with the Boy Scouts I'd need a camper insert. (See... I'm old and the kids have to tent it...I can crash in the bus!) I rarely have time for mechanical work these days so I'd prefer one in better mechanical shape especially so I don't have to worry wife and kids breaking down too much.

Here si a link at one I'm looking at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12tmLA_aLBgQLM6ysMEc8zYDvj5sT4RuH

My questions are:
2. Is the fresh air vent something I definitely want to look for? Mind you we live in NC and it is so hot and humid here!

Thanks much!

You absolutely must have your local shop approve any purchase before you buy.

Expect that any bus, no matter how nice it appears will need thousands of dollars in repairs, and will take more than a year before it is dialed in.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

HippieCPA wrote:

My questions are:

Thanks much!

1. Depends on your need for speed and power. Some folks will not be happy with anything less than a V-8.

2. See below.

3. Do you not like having a fan to blow on you during hot days?? If yes, then you will want anyway to get air to blow over you.

4. A swamp cooler works only well in areas with low humidity. Got high humidity??

5. Do lots of reading up in this forum and do go thru the FAQs at the top.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Any bus, no matter how nice it appears will need thousands of dollars in repairs, and will take more than a year before it is dialed in.

Everett should make that ^^^ alt-text on the '..when your daily driver isn't enough' tagline on the site banner.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Lind wrote:
Any bus, no matter how nice it appears will need thousands of dollars in repairs, and will take more than a year before it is dialed in.

Everett should make that ^^^ alt-text on the '..when your daily driver isn't enough' tagline on the site banner.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Lind wrote:

Very Happy

A year sounds like you're giving some of us too much hope hahaha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Lind wrote:

Very Happy

I'd buy that on a tshirt in a skinny minute.
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Lind wrote:

Very Happy

I like it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

Would a swamp cooler even work on a split bus? Don't they attach at the top of a roll-up window?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Would a swamp cooler even work on a split bus? Don't they attach at the top of a roll-up window?

From the gallery:

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:

They don’t work on any Bus, especially in VA.
Jensers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

From the gallery:

ahh, ok I was thinking of these for some reason:

1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
ahh, ok I was thinking of these for some reason:

That is because those are very visible to those outside the automobile.

The interior ones are designed for most automobiles down behind the front seat and has legs that can be adjusted downward so the cooler can stand over the floor drive line hump. So this type of cooler is not as visible and thusly not as desired for show and tell.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Lind wrote:

Very Happy

I would buy this sticker, etc., in a heartbeat...
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

x2 on what was said above. If you won't be working on it, you'll need a good local shop involved, and pre-purchase is the time to involve them.

The power you have/need depends on a lot beyond engine size, so lots more to consider on that front. Many discussions to be found in the forums.

The fresh air vent is on all busses (since 55, etc.), so you shouldn't have to look for it? It's handy, and every little bit helps when it's hot. The bus you gave a link to has an unusual looking cover on the vent box....

Safari's are nice. They can be made to seal out rain pretty well, but their sealing issues are worth considering. When its hot and I'm sweaty, ANY wind is good, so I like them.

Swamp coolers don't work with humid environments, IMO.

Generally speaking, getting a bus is great. Getting one that you can hop in and just go drive any distance you want is possible, but not likely. The odds are, you will need to sort some (a lot of) things out first. There is a TON of info here. Start with the FAQs, read, ask questions, etc.

Good luck!
HippieCPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

Thanks sommbfor the advice so far. Very helpful. Please keep thoughts and tips coming.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

Swamp coolers in my opinion should never be used in a parked vehicle. They provide possibly cooler, but very damp air- resulting in more humidity than any 50 year old camper should endure. All wood, textiles- every non-porous material will suffer to some degree. Going down the road- sure. Plenty of air exchange and drying inside happens. But if you want an old camper to have the creature comforts of a converted MB Sprinter- maybe a vintage bus is not the answer. I'm harsh but being honest here.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Swamp coolers in my opinion should never be used in a parked vehicle. They provide possibly cooler, but very damp air- resulting in more humidity than any 50 year old camper should endure. All wood, textiles- every non-porous material will suffer to some degree. Going down the road- sure. Plenty of air exchange and drying inside happens. But if you want an old camper to have the creature comforts of a converted MB Sprinter- maybe a vintage bus is not the answer. I'm harsh but being honest here.

i was thinking 1970/80s A-team van. They come with AIR... cool custom paint job

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Jensers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed: Building a split window Reply with quote

$113 for a 115V AC unit you hang out the window and stay as cool as a cucumber while you sleep. You will need power - yes, but so will any vintage option.

I understand you to be asking about cooling options while on camp-outs with boy scouts so you can sleep in the bus? Not while driving around?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: