Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Ratwell has a lovely late bay how to on pulling the engine (type 4) but I haven't seen a specific how to on a early bay. so, I figured it was due time. I am not an expert, I just pretend to be one here on the internets. This is not THE only way, but it is ONE way to get the engine out. this is a 1971 factory spec dual port doghouse style engine.

First step, tools.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pictured are two 17mm wrenches (One a ratchet style, recommended)
one 8mm wrench
a 13mm socket
a 17mm socket
and a driver of some sort (impact gun, ratchet etc)
and a flat head and a phillips screw drivers.

not pictured is a floor jack, or an ATV or motorcycle jack.

first step, remove your bumper. this will require taking out the 4 lower bolts off the bottom of the brackets. they should be 17mm.

then take out the two 13mm bolts on the rear of the apron (rear means REAR OF VEHICLE) and the phillips screws along the top edge inside the engine bay. theres a few....

if you have not already, go ahead and remove your air cleaner:

next, after you have removed the positive battery cable from the post on the battery, you can pull the generator wiring off. three small wires, each with a different connector. a ring, a spade, and a slot type so you cant hook them up wrong very easily (though it can be done!)

don't loose this itty bitty guy:

the fuse holder seen here can be unplugged next, that's your backup or reverse lights:

This is the oil pressure sending unit, which lights up the warning light on the dash when your oil pressure is to low, or if the sender fails Smile

this is a 12v wire to power the idle cutoff solenoid, the choke, and something else I'm forgetting (someone want to chime in? I took these pics over a month ago Embarassed) and plugs into the positive side of the coil (the 15 terminal) it is key switched power which means when the key is on, it should have full battery voltage (12v or so)

next, your small vacuum lines off the carburetor and the altitude adjuster off to the left. don't forget the brake booster!

(brake booster connection under the carb)

moving along to actually turning a wrench again...this is our drivers side FRONT of the fan shroud, see that big bulge in the way? we will have to loosen that nut from under the car later...

as for the passenger side, we have a few things going on here...

seen in blue is the bolt end that will be removed from the bottom of the car later, leave it alone for now.

the yellow is the nut we will use the 17mm ratchet wrench on to remove it. that's also the top bolt for the starter.

the two in red are the engine case. DO NOT UNDO THESE.

the green is your accelerator cable tube. undo that with an 8mm wrench at the barrel clamp on the carb:

if you forget, when you go to pull the engine apart, this is what happens:

the arm gets yanked all the way down and you test the tinsel strength of the accelerator cable Laughing

go ahead and remove the fuel line from the inlet to the fuel pump as well, the line will wrap around the drivers side of the fan shroud.

I like to pinch the line in a bend to keep fuel in. bending the line in a 180* bend and snugly zip tieing it together usually will keep the fuel from flowing.

here I just used the bodys clamp to hold it for a bit.

move on to the lower part of the engine, undo the lower two 17mm bolts...

then that upper bolt that we left for later:

and finally, the two heater cables need to be unbolted...8mm here:

while your heater cables are being removed, go ahead and yank the accordion tubes out of the way, you can fully remove them, or just slide one end off the engines heater flaps.

you will need to support the transmission with something, two jack stands work well under the axles....

later on, a tie strap will hold the transmission up well, whilst allowing you to roll the bus around the yard if needed.

and finally, slide the jack under the engine, locating it here, then lightly lift until the jack just starts to lift the engine up.

then remove the two engine mounts seen here, 17mm bolts

with the transmission set firmly on the jack stands, and the engine on the jack, slide firmly back towards the rear of the vehicle, and you should get this result:

be sure to replace the engine seal while your engine is out!

and always good to eyeball your fuel tanks and links if you have never done so...:

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Two bolts on early Bays, four apron bolts later.

Brake booster hose only on 1971 model

Altitude adjuster separated on later? models, vacuum hose to mark and disconnect

Attitude adjuster constantly needed
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

I was really expecting a ERB video..
soo disappointed.. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I’ll do you one a bit entertaining...how to pull a VW engine QUICKLY:

Link

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Altitude adjuster separated on later? models, vacuum hose to mark and disconnect

Sure the 4 bolts came later? This is a 71 and could only have had 1 per side because of the apron, which should be the original. Maybe 4 bolts was earlier?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Just reminds me one more time why I hate it when people paint their engines anything but black and then of course never so much as take a rag to them ever again to keep the crud buildup down. Crying or Very sad
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Just reminds me one more time why I hate it when people paint their engines anything but black and then of course never so much as take a rag to them ever again to keep the crud buildup down. Crying or Very sad

This one sat in western wa for a few years...it’s getting all new and a good clean Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710999

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Sure the 4 bolts came later? This is a 71 and could only have had 1 per side because of the apron, which should be the original. Maybe 4 bolts was earlier?

I had both a 1970 and a 1971 with four.

On the engine mounts, the 17mm bolts are the one underneath the mounts, not the ones visible in the picture, if Inremember right?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Colin has a good rule of thumb: the more fasteners a Volkswagen has, the older it is.

4-bolt aprons changed to 2-bolts mid 1970. Though aprons are extremely easy to swap around, and even most 1971 buses have four receiving holes.

Nice write up Stu-can we add a thin shin of wood between the jack and the engine as not to warp the oil sump plate? OGs are beefy but most plates are thin aftermarket sheet metal these days. Also, your “removed engine” pic looks a little wonky. Let’s all strive for a more controlled release Wink

On cars with generators, the wires to the generators are not hot with the key off. Disconnecting the battery positive isn’t as friendly as the negative first. (Think about wrench arcing to chassis when undoing each....) Alternator cars MUST have the battery disconnected before touching the big red wire but.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

1971 have 4 holes but only two punched in the apron. If a 1971 has a 4 hole apron it is likely a replacement - look for damage from a rear end collision or that it came from a wrecking yard without an engine, apron and bumper. Not uncommon to find a bug upright in a bay like that.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Don’t forget... leave the rear bumper off forever. Put it with the middle seat in your friend’s side yard so that neither will ever be seen again, like the middle seat seatbelts.

Kidding aside, I echoe Robbie’s advice about a piece of wood. Nothing fancy needed... the wood also allows for some more grab, helping preventing things from sliding off at inopportune moment.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I had both a 1970 and a 1971 with four.

On the engine mounts, the 17mm bolts are the one underneath the mounts, not the ones visible in the picture, if Inremember right?

Correct, it’s the lower bolts to the mounts, I took the pics a month ago and was tired when I wrote it last night. Had a much better write up in my head but it’s started fading so I needed to get it out before the pics became useless to me Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Don’t forget... leave the rear bumper off forever. Put it with the middle seat in your friend’s side yard so that neither will ever be seen again, like the middle seat seatbelts.

Kidding aside, I echoe Robbie’s advice about a piece of wood. Nothing fancy needed... the wood also allows for some more grab, helping preventing things from sliding off at inopportune moment.

Agree, a piece of wood is much more ideal. I slacked on this one a bit Embarassed

Taking pics and crash coursing my way through I managed to get it out in 32 minutes. Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Stu, did you accidentally on purpose fail to post the picture of the un-supported transmission hanging down before you remembered and put jack stands under it, bending the shifting coupler?!? Think

Folks- Don't forget to support the transmission by the engine or you'll do this ^^^ Just ask me how I know! Yes, I too have the famous "Bent the shifter coupler" trophy!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

First thing, first step, first item to be disconnected. ALWAYS! The battery. Idea
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Nice write up Stu-can we add a thin shin of wood between the jack and the engine as not to warp the oil sump plate? OGs are beefy but most plates are thin aftermarket sheet metal these days. Also, your “removed engine” pic looks a little wonky. Let’s all strive for a more controlled release Wink

An old piece of conveyor belting is ideal here, it protects the engine well and keeps the jack from sliding around as easily.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
First thing, first step, first item to be disconnected. ALWAYS! The battery. Idea

Are you worried the bumper might be electrocuted and shock you?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I ACTUALLY want Erb to do a video on this....Erb, are u listening????
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

My last girlfriend said she wanted Erb too. Crying or Very sad

Guess I’m just not good enough Crying or Very sad

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY: How To Remove an Early Bay Engine Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Globespotter wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

My last girlfriend said she wanted Erb too. Crying or Very sad

Guess I’m just not good enough Crying or Very sad

I feel for you Stu! Have ED at your age has to be challenging! Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: