Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First VW build 71 Super Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Hello all,
I usually am a Chevy guy, but got a great deal on this VW beetle. Couldn’t pass it up. This came as a non running project car, and about 20 boxes of new parts! YAY! Couple engines, couple trans, extra everything.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finally got a bunch of stuff sorted and organized.

The PO had kept this inside for the last 25 years. VERY solid. Couple weird things...

PO cut out rear deck vents. And cut out dash. How important is the rear vent? (VERY?)
Anyway. More pictures to come!
~Jake[/img]
Jake84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Lots of parts.....
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Buy the Bently Manual for your year. Amazon or Classifieds on here it is the VW Bible on how every thing works and goes together. Great buy.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Wow that's a lot of work left to be done.
Hope you have the time.
Enjoy Cool
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Have fun with it!

I've got a 71 Super as well, lemme know if you have extra parts Cool
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Awesome Project! Cool

Yes, the rear vents are very important. That's how the air gets into the engine comparment to cool the engine. There should also be vents in the rear deck lid as this year had a 1600 dual port engine, powerful and hot and needy for cooling air.

The ancient bugs with little 40 hp engines did not have vents in the deck lid but even those had vents under the rear window to let air into the engine compartment. From there it gets sucked through the fan shroud and blown over the cylinders to keep it cool.

So... basically that modification right there is like deleting the front radiator grill on a Chevy.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Jake84 wrote:

PO cut out rear deck vents. And cut out dash. How important is the rear vent? (VERY)

Like Buggeee stated above - the vents below the rear window are VITAL for an AC engine set up.
The rear apron is modified too - no tail pipe cut outs.
May be the PO had planned a non stock motor set up - water cooled or whatever...
Jake84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I have a second roof with the rear grill still in it so I will end up cutting the factory grill off it and replacing it. The PO was going to chop the top and do some major mods to it before I bought it. I am building this one for my wife and she loves the factory look. I tend to agree. I need to find a donor beetle to cut the dash out of and replace that as well. The PO cut out and deleted everything on the dash for the same smooth look.
I still have to weld the pans in and plan on chassis coating the frame and getting the chassis on wheels.
Orange Bentley manual is ordered. Looks like I have some reading to do!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

At some point you will notice in pictures of other super beetles that they have a grill under the front hood as well. You don't need that at all. That was for optional air conditioning if the dealer added it so you can leave that smooth.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

convertibles eliminated the cooling vents under the rear window...but their decklids had cooling slots instead right back to oval windows....when standard bugs had 2 sets of slots the same year convert had 4....so if you really love the look you could be able to get away with it with a 4 slot decklid(think the aftermarket ones have a couple extra slots on the end rows) and maybe cut out the vent under the plate light like a california car....but if it was mine i'd just put the original louvers back in
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
convertibles eliminated the cooling vents under the rear window...but their decklids had cooling slots instead right back to oval windows....when standard bugs had 2 sets of slots the same year convert had 4....so if you really love the look you could be able to get away with it with a 4 slot decklid(think the aftermarket ones have a couple extra slots on the end rows) and maybe cut out the vent under the plate light like a california car....but if it was mine i'd just put the original louvers back in

Another work around might also be to use deck lid stand-offs, but I think that is to supplement the factory air-cooling rather than a substitute. I'd put the originals back in too... especially since you have the additional roof clip anyway. That spot under the rear window is a low pressure area in the aerodynamics of the car so the placement of them there is driven by engineering rather than appearance.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Unless you have some sort of fisheye lens action goin on, that pan took one helluva shot at the rear suspension. You will need a at least the left trailing arm & spring plate, make sure the rest is square before sinking too much time into it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jake84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: First VW build 71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Unless you have some sort of fisheye lens action goin on, that pan took one helluva shot at the rear suspension. You will need a at least the left trailing arm & spring plate, make sure the rest is square before sinking too much time into it.

The rear suspension is not bolted in. I just stuck them in to see what all else I needed for mock up.

I plan on welding in the vents now that I have heard all your guy’s input.

I have a LOT of figuring out to do. I got BOXES and BOXES of unlabeled parts. Should be a fun puzzle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: