Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Greetings all -- I recently had a problem with what seemed to be a misfire, which I resolved when I figured out that the distributor rotor had broken off a chunk.

Replaced the cap and rotor and after less than 1000 miles the problem returned. Took a look and there are deep grooves in the contacts of the cap on one side. It's as if it was mounted wrong, but the mounting seems more or less tight. So it runs rough, smoothing out a bit when it warms up.

Has anyone run into this? Is it that the shaft of the distributor is bent, causing that rotor to oscillate? Replacing the distributor should be a piece of piss?

This is a 1990 waterboxer.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Is there lateral play in the shaft? Easy to replace these units.
Never re-bushed one personally; they are probabaly simply swapped out as a unit. Easy job.
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Is there lateral play in the shaft?.

Not that I can tell. I guess I will go ahead and swap it out, if it's an easy job. Thanks.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

If you do swap-out, have a timing light to set the timng.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7eficskDyk
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Yep, sounds like worn shaft bearings in the distributer.

When replacing a distributer it's very important to watch your timing marks.
Have you ever done this type of work before? Do you have a Bentley manual?

It's always best practice to put the engine at Top Dead Center and marking where the rotor is pointing (should be #1 cylinder firing position) before pulling the distributer. This will make it easier to set the timing close to finish. Remember the helical gear on the end of the distributer shaft will want to twist as you insert the shaft, so it may take a couple tries to get the rotor pointing back at your marks.
A timing light is required to set the timing just right.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Yep, sounds like worn shaft bearings in the distributer.

When replacing a distributer it's very important to watch your timing marks.
Have you ever done this type of work before? Do you have a Bentley manual?

It's always best practice to put the engine at Top Dead Center and marking where the rotor is pointing (should be #1 cylinder firing position) before pulling the distributer. This will make it easier to set the timing close to finish. Remember the helical gear on the end of the distributer shaft will want to twist as you insert the shaft, so it may take a couple tries to get the rotor pointing back at your marks.
A timing light is required to set the timing just right.

Thanks, that makes sense. Yes I just went through doing the timing multiple times trying to figure this out, before I realized the distributor was at fault. Noted, I will mark the timing position. Will probably be back here if anything goes wrong.

Glad I'm in Cali and can do this stuff myself in dead of winter. Thanks much!
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Yes, mark the rotor position, then as you withdraw the dist. observe how the rotor turns as the gear unwinds, and at what point the unit comes free. It will help you know where to start when you re-install.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Yes, mark the rotor position, then as you withdraw the dist. observe how the rotor turns as the gear unwinds, and at what point the unit comes free. It will help you know where to start when you re-install.

Um...... No..... not needed. The distributor mates into an off center slot cut into the distributor drive gear that stays in the case....... but if removed, rotates as you withdraw it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

The quality of replacement parts are not very good anymore. I would try some new parts of a different brand before swapping distributors. The 2.1 distributors don't really mechanically wear out. The older style with moving mechanical and centrifugal advance mechanisms do wear out.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Thanks to Dave for the correction.
I would pull the dist. out and inspect for wear. If no lateral play, then put a new rotor and cap on the dist. and turn the shaft by hand. Make sure it feels smooth and that you can detect no uneven "contact". Does the cap fit squarely? Is the rotor snug? Things like that.
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity-- does a distributor work by actually making contact between the rotor and the cap's contacts, or does it "arc" like a spark plug?

It seems that mine keep getting trashed by physical contact because of a furshlugginer distributor shaft, but are those contacts actually supposed to touch or not?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

No contact between the end of the rotor and plug tower terminals. The coil tower terminal does contact the top of the rotor. Can you pst a picture?
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
No contact between the end of the rotor and plug tower terminals. The coil tower terminal does contact the top of the rotor. Can you pst a picture?

Got it - thanks. Ya learn something every day. Ordered the distributor.
Don't have it off at the moment to post pic, but it's ugly. Deep grooves where the rotor was grinding through the copper contacts in the cap.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

You have to be carefully to get the cap on correctly or you will get contact between the rotor and the terminals in the cap. It is more difficult to get the cap on if you still have a dust shield under the rotor than if you do not. If you still have the metal shield over the outside, that too makes installing the cap a bit harder.
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You have to be carefully to get the cap on correctly or you will get contact between the rotor and the terminals in the cap. It is more difficult to get the cap on if you still have a dust shield under the rotor than if you do not. If you still have the metal shield over the outside, that too makes installing the cap a bit harder.

Noted, thank you.
I'm not trying to advertise for them, but I order this distributor from AutohazAZ, and it landed on my doorstep 25 hours later, with just priority mail. Dang! Shocked Shocked Shocked
With the cap and rotor included and mounted, so I don't have to futz with it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

May not be related at all, BUT if using a Pertronix or similar points module, you MAY need to grind down the bottom of the rotor since it sits too high and can chew up the cap. I have to do this on at least half of the conversions that I do.

Its nothing magical - see how low it sits before installing the magnetic pick up and then with the pick up in place. Remove enough material so the height is about the same. No prob if you take too much off, I usually have a slight gap.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

The distributor cap has a light duty spring under the carbon brush. When you place the cap on the distributor you should feel very light resistance from the brush making contact with the rotor button. If there's no tension or too much and you have to push the cap down there is something wrong. The finger of the rotor and the four metal cap contacts to not actually contact.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
The distributor cap has a light duty spring under the carbon brush. When you place the cap on the distributor you should feel very light resistance from the brush making contact with the rotor button. If there's no tension or too much and you have to push the cap down there is something wrong. The finger of the rotor and the four metal cap contacts to not actually contact.

Thanks, in this case, I bought a new distro with a matched cap, so that was not a problem.

However this thing was more of a PITA than it should have been to get in there. Weird gasket, managed to work it in there with a little oil on it.

Not sure this solved my problem (ignition miss, see first post). Will properly set timing again and back to the drawing board.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

A poorly fitting cap and rotor can certainly cause ignition miss.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap/rotor keeps wearing out Reply with quote

szegedin7 wrote:

However this thing was more of a PITA than it should have been to get in there. Weird gasket, managed to work it in there with a little oil on it.

You can buy decent gaskets/o-rings in the classifieds from time to time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: