Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Tins?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Do you bend the tabs and wedge them between the fins to attach? Ran across this photo on another site and my engine doesn't have them installed. Are they original to the engine and do they have a purpose associated with the cooling system? What are they called and where might I find them?

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

Those are cylinder head deflector tins somebody made. Not OEM. They should work. Yes you need to press them into the veins. Hard to explain.

OEM tins.

Please note. The picture above is MOFOCO heads. They are not required on MOFOCO heads. I believe they are required on most other brand heads.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

so why do you think they are not required on mofoco heads..... do you know the function they preform?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so why do you think they are not required on mofoco heads..... do you know the function they preform?

When I called Roy at Mofoco about why I needed to modify the deflector tin. He said not to use them. As the heads were not designed to be used with the tins. I do know why they are required on other heads.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

Shakers. To answer your other questions. You can get them from Clark at Awesome Powder coat. Yes important to use. They deflect Air more effectively across the cooling veins. Now, how about your Hoover Bit? Got one of those Wink

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Cylinder_head_internal_deflectors.html

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Shakers. To answer your other questions. You can get them from Clark at Awesome Powder coat. Yes important to use. They deflect Air more effectively across the cooling veins. Now, how about your Hoover Bit? Got one of those Wink

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Cylinder_head_internal_deflectors.html
Thanks a lot. Yes my hoover bit is in place.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

When I called Roy at Mofoco about why I needed to modify the deflector tin. He said not to use them. As the heads were not designed to be used with the tins. I do know why they are required on other heads.

Popcorn

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
Do you bend the tabs and wedge them between the fins to attach?
That's how I do it.
shakers73 wrote:
Are they original to the engine and do they have a purpose associated with the cooling system? What are they called and where might I find them?

I think they are just called air dams. They cause some of the air coming through the middle of the head to spread out across the underside and help cool that area of the head. They were part of the stock system and I have yet to see an aircooled head that would not benefit from them.

Where to get them? I just get out some scrap tin and my tin-snips and make a pair when I need them. Use your own heads as a jig. Trim till it fits right.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Tins? Reply with quote

Here's a sketch of those kritters that was shamelessly raided from somewhere .......

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: