Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

[quote="jackbombay"]
danfromsyr wrote:
I will never underestimate the power of humidity!

Same here. I grew up in eastern PA and sweat extremely heavily. I feel like I'm drowning when i go back to visit.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I want to convert our Westy into a live-in aquarium...

Best.
Post.
This.
Week.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

- Dave

(With love from the humid MidNorth...) Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
E1 wrote:
I want to convert our Westy into a live-in aquarium...

Best.
Post.
This.
Week.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

- Dave

(With love from the humid MidNorth...) Cool

Agreed! Finally some reason has been brought to this thread. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I want to convert our Westy into a live-in aquarium.

You will actually be drier than someone in the mid-atlantic states on a summer day. Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

You cannot run AC from 12V practically due to thermodynamics. This has been hashed over so many times It should be a sticky FAQ titled “ Deadhorses that have beaten to death, buried, dug up, beaten again, and reburied”
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

I've always thought that it would be interesting to plumb in a 120v AC compressor salvaged from a window unit.

Plumb it into the "stock" A/C system utilizing some 12v control valves to direct the refrigerant flow to the engine compressor or the 120v compressor.

You've got shore power for the night?
You've got A/C for the night.

(Far more complex do to cooling needs of the refrigerant but.....)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I'm not an idiot.

You might want to check with your wife on that!!! Shocked Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

That's so unfair in its truthdom. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

To answer the original question- this entire thread is too much.

Your welcome.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I've always thought that it would be interesting to plumb in a 120v AC compressor salvaged from a window unit.

Plumb it into the "stock" A/C system utilizing some 12v control valves to direct the refrigerant flow to the engine compressor or the 120v compressor.

You've got shore power for the night?
You've got A/C for the night.

(Far more complex do to cooling needs of the refrigerant but.....)

Dave

On a similar note, get an appropriately sized electric motor, mount it in an appropriate location in the engine compartment, and do some clutched pulley magic so you can use it to drive the existing A/C compressor with the engine off.
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

The algae would be out of control. Smile
-terry

E1 wrote:

Advantages:
-- A quieter, more-serene world
-- Air conditioning not needed
-- Less arguing for not being able to hear anyway
-- More inquisitive viewers at gas stops
-- Never needs wax

I'd of course leave an air space, about at spice rack level, to replace costly air bottles with a snorkel. I'm not an idiot.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

bokonon42 wrote:
The algae would be out of control. Smile
-terry

E1 wrote:

Advantages:
-- A quieter, more-serene world
-- Air conditioning not needed
-- Less arguing for not being able to hear anyway
-- More inquisitive viewers at gas stops
-- Never needs wax

-- Grow your own food on the windows

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

Speaking of water in the van, how much water do people carry?
Do you have hot water or do you just use it at room temp like some kinda cave man?
Heck even cave...people probably sorted how to make their water hot at some point so it seems like just natural evolution rather than a luxury.

Do you just take jugs or do you have a tank built in.

As far as my van build goes I really feel like I want to take a more modular approach everything.
I don't want to build a lot of things in permanently but rather have it so I can pick and choose what I want to take with me or possibly increase or decrease the size of things according to my trip plans.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

Native americans didn't have metal or the invention of a pot till europeans came. they heated water by moving heated rocks into their water/soup
vwhammer wrote:
Do you have hot water or do you just use it at room temp like some kinda cave man?
Heck even cave...people probably sorted how to make their water hot at some point so it seems like just natural evolution rather than a luxury.

As far as my van build goes I really feel like I want to take a more modular approach everything.
I don't want to build a lot of things in permanently but rather have it so I can pick and choose what I want to take with me or possibly increase or decrease the size of things according to my trip plans.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Native americans didn't have metal or the invention of a pot till europeans came. they heated water by moving heated rocks into their water/soup
vwhammer wrote:

So did the Celts.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

What kind of container did they hold the water/soup in while they were swishing around heated rocks?

vwhammer - I usually put 3 to 5 gallons in my Westy water tank depending how many nights I'll be out and what my cooking/bathing plans are. Heating is done with the Westy stove, sometimes the campfire, sometimes a solar shower.

Again, all this stuff is so personal I really don't know what you're hoping to learn. You really just need to figure out your own needs.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

How much is too much? When you're trying to turn a Vanagon camper into a Wanderlodge. Wink

vwhammer wrote:

Westy tank: Depends on where I'm going and for how long.
Drinking: Depends on where I'm going and for how long.
Cooking: Depends on where I'm going and for how long.
Mechanism for boiling water: JetBoil for consumption, Westy stove for dish washing.

As SCM said, each person is unique, as is each van. You simply need to start roadtripping to discover your individual camping requirements. Even after discovery, you'll find your needs evolving over time, resulting in eliminating some items while adding others.

Air conditioning: Back in the '30s, my great-grandparents drove Route 66 in the summer from SoCal back to Illinois to visit family. They would put a block of ice in front of the floor vent. Here in Phoenix at Sahuaro Ranch in the 1800-early 1900s, troughs of water sat on porch railings through which ceiling-mounted fabric was rolled. Camping in 115°F summers at Lake Mead, back when summer temps reached that high, we soaked beach towels in the lake and used them as cooling blankets while sleeping on cots. Going the opposite direction: My great-great-grandmother slept with her bedroom windows open during SoCal winters, taking a couple heated-in-the-oven bricks to bed with her. There are methods if you think outside the 110V box, but plugging in is certainly luxurious... if only our ancestors knew how easy we have it today. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

Well I hate to bring this thread back up but I had another luxurious idea to make life in the wild more pleasurable.
If you thought AC in the wild was ridiculous wait until you get a load of this.

So my wife would really like a place to use the restroom and maybe clean up every now and then.
I take no shame in whore bathin' it every now and then or havin' my butt out in the woods to do my sinful business but I can't say that I am entirely opposed to the idea of having my own private bathroom while out bush.

Since my van is a tin top there's not a good way to put a bathroom/shower in the van.

Naturally I have been looking into those little pop up tent things and portable camp toilets that you can find all of the interwebs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While this would likely do the trick it would make showering or using the potty a miserable endeavor in all but the most perfect of weather.

How do you improve upon this?

With one of these of course.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Obviously, I am speaking of the trailer not the van.
I don't need anything quite that nice but I think you get where I am going.

I would probably not buy one but I do have a small trailer sitting around that is hardly used for anything else.

If I could build a little pop up bathroom trailer to house essentially an entire bathroom that would solve the problem.

I picture a hard shell, hard side pop up set up that is about 4 feet tall when collapsed and 7 or 8 feet tall when deployed.

I have never towed anything with a Vanagon but I figured if I could keep the weight down between 800 and 1000 lbs that the van should be ok pulling it with my brake and engine upgrades.

If it weighs less than that when finished then even better.

I envision having the trailer and van being semi-codependent on each other.
the water for the whole van will be stored on the trailer but the trailers electrical will be run from the vans house battery.

Of course the trailer can also have an extra solar panel that will supplement the vans on board solar set up.

More or less the van can still function without the trailer for simpler camps in the overnight to 2 days range but the trailer can be added for week long camps or more.

It would be insulated, and have heat and AC just like the van.
There will be hot water and a composting toilet.
As I mentioned the water would be stored on board and a gray water tank would also be mounted on the trailer.

Last but not least I can imagine the door on the front of the trailer and a walkway that attaches to the tongue so you can pop the hatch, jump out of bed and be in the bathroom in a couple of steps.

If one really wanted to get fancy with it you could even build some kind of insulated dock so the van and trailer could more or less be joined at the rear hatch area once in camp.

The trailer might also be a nice place to mount a bigger AC system and generator to keep the whole set up running day or night.

If I can ever get my van done and out of the garage maybe I will give this trailer thing a go.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

get a tiny house and an F250 to tow it. solved.

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Luxuries - How Much Is Too Much? Reply with quote

Bus Depot hatch tent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: