Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds....
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauibarber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

66 Bus. Red dash light will randomly come on and go away. Only stays on for about 5 seconds. I'm assuming it's the brushes wearing out? If you don't think that is it what else could it be?

Can the regulator be opened up and cleaned?

Car runs fine and nothing sound or engine wise changes when the light comes on for those few seconds. Revving engine doesn't make the light go off any faster than not revving the engine.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

I would check the brushes first - see if they are low.

From Clara's gallery
Too low/worn out: (Below the top edge of the holder)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The generator points could be sticking inside.
It's possible to clean them if they are dirty.
You have to open it up and take a look.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mauibarber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

Awesome photos thank you. What would you use to clean the points?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

First check your fan belt. It should have about 1/4' to 1/2" deflection, and no cracks.

Normally, if the gen light comes on at idle, and goes off when I rev the engine, it is the brushes wearing out. Later, as the brushes are more worn, the light stays on all the time.

If the light goes out at idle, and comes on when revved, it is a bad VR.
You can also test as per the Bentley or as per Muir.

Normally leave the innards of the VR alone.

It is very easy to check the brushes. I use a orange stick (as per Muir) to clean the commutator with the engine running. I only do this infrequently, about as often as brushes need changing.
check both brushes. replace BOTH if they are bad.
mauibarber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

Brand new belt installed (it did it with the old belt too).

Revving doesn't seem to change the speed of the light going out. I ordered new brushes and will put those on first. If it doesn't go away I will check the VR.

Light will come on at idle or when going down the road (revved).

I should also mention the light comes on bright for about 2-3 seconds, then dims to about half brightness for 1-2 seconds than goes out. Not sure if that is relevant or not.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

You ordered new brushes but were the brushes low?

I had one that was sticky in its holder before.
I pulled it out and there was some gunk in the slot it rides in.
Scraped it out with a little screwdriver and everything was ok.
The brush was not low in that case.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mauibarber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

Well after two weeks of trying to track down my red light problem I figured it out. I wanted to update in case anyone else has a problem where their red light comes on and off whether at idle or running and revving the engine makes no difference.

Apparently after replacing my brushes, voltage regulator and generator (all 50+ years old) I discovered that my red and green bulbs had been switched. I did not have an electrical problem I had a low oil problem which was sparatically turning on the red light. A quart of oil stopped the light from coming on.

Maybe years down the road this will save someone the trouble with a quick check of the bulbs. Unbelievable how much work and time spent over someone putting the bulbs in the wrong spot.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

mauibarber wrote:
Well after two weeks of trying to track down my red light problem I figured it out. I wanted to update in case anyone else has a problem where their red light comes on and off whether at idle or running and revving the engine makes no difference.

Apparently after replacing my brushes, voltage regulator and generator (all 50+ years old) I discovered that my red and green bulbs had been switched. I did not have an electrical problem I had a low oil problem which was sparatically turning on the red light. A quart of oil stopped the light from coming on.

Maybe years down the road this will save someone the trouble with a quick check of the bulbs. Unbelievable how much work and time spent over someone putting the bulbs in the wrong spot.

Glad you figured it out. You may want to check your oil more frequently before you have even bigger problems to figure out. My $0.02.
mauibarber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
mauibarber wrote:

Glad you figured it out. You may want to check your oil more frequently before you have even bigger problems to figure out. My $0.02.

I just changed it 2 months ago when I bought the bus. Just didn't put enough in.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Red dash light comes on every minute for just a few seconds.... Reply with quote

I check my oil every fill up.

Oddly I had the opposite issue to you once. The dash light came on and I thought it was the oil light. It was the gen light.

You can double check by removing the wire from the oil sender with key on. Engine off. The dash light that goes off is the oil light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: