Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West makes the absolute best running boards. No contest.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:

Agreed. I have them on both of mine and they are very sturdy and well done.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

Agreed. I have them on both of mine and they are very sturdy and well done.

Can you share a photo of the running board and side sill (door opened)?

Is the running board supposed to be flat against the side sill with no gaps? Is that bent against the side sill a full squared 90 degrees or rounded?

As many photos that I have gone through, all show the board with the door closed...so can’t seem to find one clearly showing it against the side sill...

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I don’t have a picture actually but could get one this weekend. Kids are in town until tomorrow and I’ll be out in the garage after.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I don’t have a picture actually but could get one this weekend. Kids are in town until tomorrow and I’ll be out in the garage after.

No rush, only if you had it handy. This is to further sink into the hate of these boards... i should have gone first with the WW...

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Ashtray installed... These panels will be installed after I do the headliner...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by wachuko on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Not much done over the weekend... wife wanted to spend the weekend else where and we headed to Savannah, GA.

Back home and worked on replacing the sump plate cover with a billet one...also replaced all studs with correct length and correct acorn nut. Thought about going with original cover, but could not resist getting that billet one for just a few more bucks... in the hopes that it stays straight and in better condition longer than the original cover...

The sump plate that was there was in bad shape, the drain bolt/plug was shaved from how low the car was, the studs were sticking out about 3/4"... a complete mess...

From this:

To now this:

Tomorrow to work on the passenger door to replace felt channel, trim, and door panel.

Last edited by wachuko on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Also learned something new... when I took out the old sump plate cover and started to remove the studs, noticed that one had a nut inside the sump and was hold something in place... had no idea that was normal...

Searched the forum and found references to it...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208883

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I am going to get a lot of practice with this car...doing things twice, lol.

Taking apart the passenger door... noticed that I did not installed the springs on the driver's door... I have one, so need to buy one more... will reuse those in the passenger side... Need to also order the buffers... those that look like a plastic tube that goes in the shafts...

Also, and this was something that had me thinking as I was installing the door panel on the driver's side, there was nothing behind it to support the armrest/pull handle... Sure enough, when I look at the passenger side, there is a brace in there that helps with that. So need to search for one of these braces and take apart the driver's door panel to install the springs and this.

Looks like original armrest bracket...will reuse . Also noticed the cloth on it to avoid rattles with the door brace...

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Okay, so that bracket is the same for both sides... just need to locate one... no luck in the Classifieds

http://1964ellie.blogspot.com/2012/12/door-panel-armrests.html

Anyone has the correct name or part number for this? Would make it easier to find it while searching...

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

From the factory, only the passenger side had an armrest. I thought someone reported these but maybe not. “Armrest bracket/brace” is what I have called it.
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
From the factory, only the passenger side had an armrest. I thought someone reported these but maybe not. “Armrest bracket/brace” is what I have called it.

I like having them on both doors... from that link it does mention that Sedans originally came with only a passenger side armrest but the Cabriolets came with both.

I will continue the search and once I find it I will be removing the panel and doing the install properly. For now I need to make sure that nobody pulls on it...

Thank you!

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

wachuko wrote:
Also learned something new... when I took out the old sump plate cover and started to remove the studs, noticed that one had a nut inside the sump and was hold something in place... had no idea that was normal...

Yea that's normal, holds the oil pump pickup bracket to block.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Yeah I have them on both sides of my 60 as well. Was just explaining why there was only one. Wasn’t a PO back, just the way it is.

Here’s one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1001432
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Yeah I have them on both sides of my 60 as well. Was just explaining why there was only one. Wasn’t a PO back, just the way it is.

Ah, okay, got it. Smile

Sharp64 wrote:
Here’s one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1001432

Thank you for the link... How the heck did I not find that!!?? I tell you I looked...searched, then looked again... arghh... anyway, thank you!!

Email sent to the seller.

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
wachuko wrote:

Yea that's normal, holds the oil pump pickup bracket to block.

Now I know! Smile I had to reuse one of the longer studs that was there... adjusted to length... was fun putting that nut back and adjusting... so glad it did not fight me...

After installing everything back last night, I ran the car until it reached normal temp. Checked this morning and not a drop of oil. Good sign.

I do need to coordinate these things better... wasted 3 quarts of oil since I had just changed the oil last week... I just could not deal with how it looked and seen some oil/wetness around it since the cover was in such a bad shape...

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I get distracted so easily... look! squirrel!! Laughing So I am working the passenger door, removing old seals and realize I am missing one. The inner rubber seal/squeegee... so figured I will go get it locally before store closes...

Then I remember that I wanted to install the turn signal to avoid an issue with the police... so I start to measure, make a template from the old one, measure again... mark it, look and compare... then drilled the holes.

I still need to change the rubber seal on the passenger side turn signal... oh, and I remembered I had new bolts for the front bumper...so I replace those as well...

Then the sun visors arrived and I remember that I got new screws for that rear view mirror...

Sun visors installed...

So now the store is closed and the passenger door is all apart... lol... oh well, something to finish next year.

New rearview mirror installed:

Last edited by wachuko on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I know it’s convienent, but I would really look at Wolfsburg West or WCM for your rubber bits. Whichever route you go, you will want to either lube up the window scrapers or some use talc to get them to slide up and down better. If nothing is used they will stick. Badly. I also sprayed some graphite spray in the felt channels if you’re replacing those.

Good job on the turn signal placement.

Have you thought about replacing the bumper supports? WW sells them and they’re decent.

Are you leaving the fender primered?
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I know it’s convienent, but I would really look at Wolfsburg West or WCM for your rubber bits. Whichever route you go, you will want to either lube up the window scrapers or some use talc to get them to slide up and down better. If nothing is used they will stick. Badly. I also sprayed some graphite spray in the felt channels if you’re replacing those.

Good job on the turn signal placement.

Have you thought about replacing the bumper supports? WW sells them and they’re decent.

Are you leaving the fender primered?

Most rubber bits I got from WW... but stuff I forgot to get, I just get it locally for the convenience... specially when I want to finish that task the same day. Thank you of the tip of using talc. Let me see if I can find some graphite spray and use that...

Replacing the bumper supports? I did order the missing pieces from WW and waiting for those to get here along with the wiring harness. The other supports seem to be in good condition and only need to be tighten... waiting on the missing ones to come in to do it all at once... I also got new rubber inserts for the supports as the ones in there are hard as a rock...

I decided to leave the exterior of the car as is... so yes, whatever is in primer will stay like that (fyi, I did add a couple of coats of flat paint over the primer inside and out...so the green you are seeing is actually not primer but flat paint)... I figured that in a year or so, I will get another bug that is complete and with all the bodywork, paint, interior done... deep down, I still want a ragtop...

This one will will only get all mechanical and electrical attention and the interior done... I do plan on redoing the wheels so they look new. I will take them to B&J (local powder coating place) along with the seat frames. I also want to recondition the gas tank but unsure if it will hold up to powder coating. The tank I was just planning on painting.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I was just mentioning the paint as I have been experimenting. I actually resprayed one of the front fenders on my 60 using some color matched paint and one of these kits:

https://www.worldpaintsupply.com/preval-model-267-paint-spray-gun/

Took a fair amount of color sanding and some buffing but turned out pretty decent. Eventually I’m planning on a full professional repaint, but it got me by and most people can’t even detect it unless I point it out. Bens paint supply can do the color matching to something like the decklid light or glovebox door. Might be an option.

Wasn’t sure if you were putting the rear supports back on or not. They help stiffen up the bumper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: