Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

middle bench hold downs
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

As part of a floor repair, I am thinking about cutting out the hold down for the middle leg of a 2 seat bench. Not used anyway, right?

Figured there might be a repair kit with a floor patch and a hold down plate, but can't find one. Or can't figure out how to search for one.

If I cut it out, I will just patch with corrugated floor. Any thoughts here?

Thanks
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

busted bus for the patch?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
busted bus for the patch?

Maybe.... They have an exploded view drawing with the PLATE on it. No part # and no kit, YET.

I would like the special designed floor plate that goes under the "keyhole" plate. Then I could cut out the bad and weld in the good. The floor has several ridges and valleys that give you somewhere to weld and gives the T-Bolt a recess to aid in installation.

It looks like they don't have a typical website, so I will have to call.

Thanks tho.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=221883419A

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=221883419A

Same plate, but no floor. So folks just buy these and weld them to fresh corrugated? The OEM floor under the plate is designed to have the plate welded to it and easily insert the T-bolt.

Anyone have photos of that or any fix with this?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

The floor under the seat cleats is dipped and smooth, that's why it held water and rusted out. How big an area are you repairing?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211801403Q

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The floor under the seat cleats is dipped and smooth, that's why it held water and rusted out. How big an area are you repairing?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211801403Q

Yes the water got into the deep area under the Keyhole. some are just pin holed, some are gone. I figured I would cut out about 3" around the plate.

I am leaning toward cutting the middle one out and just using the corrugated patch. But I figured I would at least look for a re-do OEM style.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: middle bench hold downs Reply with quote

Had the same issue on my 66. Replace with the standard corrugated floor, cut the patch to size. Before installing, get a piece of wood and make an offset indent for underneath where the hold down goes, and use a hammer to beat that portion of the raised floor into the wood indent. Verify your clearance is deep enough, weld the patch in, then weld the bracket for the hold downs on.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: