Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate")
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
do I detect a note of racism here?

Not at all, just wondering if any other languages are as easily butchered as English. I know that other dialects of Spanish and Portuguese ( and more) are often confused and mingled, and I would love to know about it from someone who speaks and understands those dialects.

Not sure how this discussion turned into race, as it should be all about language and dialect.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

modok wrote:
because, holes only get bigger
and shafts only get smaller

There are surgeries and pills for these conditions.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
modok wrote:
because, holes only get bigger
and shafts only get smaller

There are surgeries and pills for these conditions.

So, next time I see my orthopedist should I ask if he turns cranks and line bores cases?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Basically ALL classes are protected in USA EXCEPT white males under age 40.

Oh, please.

He is not offering judgment; this is a legal fact. We had similar training recently, and there are specific, defined sets of "protected classes." None of them include young white males.

Again, this is not talking about societal norms or common behaviors... this is a fact of the legal definition, as it relates to a "hostile work environment."

I thought it odd at the time, too.

I expect there to be a legal challenge to this gap in protection. I am aware of a couple of situations close to me in my career where there was what is commonly called "reverse discrimination." It's wrong in any case.

Years ago I was an editor of a periodical for the local chapter of SHPE (Hispanic engineers) and got an education about the etiquette of not grouping all Hispanics together and calling them Mexicans. It would be as offensive as calling a German an Italian, for example. Hey, they are both white Europeans, right? Wink

They are proud of their country's heritage, and lumping them together, especially where is a history of conflict between them, is insensitive and offensive to many. The same is true of many Caribbean cultures.

Speaking of languages and dialects, the parents of some good friends, one Italian and one Mexican, were at a party. The two mothers could actually carry on a conversation, pausing to try synonyms for words they didn't understand. This was due to both languages being so-called "romantic" languages with Latin roots. It was really interesting to watch them enjoy talking with each other!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Just gleaned from the forums...
Quote:
It can't of been a very...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
hitest wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
modok wrote:
oprn wrote:
I wonder if all languages are as easily abused?

Good question.
Probably not.

Love that question. Any ESL folks on here that can shed some light?

You could ask a native of Puerto Rico to discuss Spanish with one from Mexico.

Throw in a Brazilian and a Columbian and things might get crazy.

NO kidding / they don't even speak the same language !
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love dialects and accents. Even if I cannot understand a word. HAHA

Call any one of them a Mexican & you’ll have a fight on your hands.

Here is the twist on all of that. There are white europeans that were born in Mexico and when you are born in a country that is your national origin. When you say you are Mexican it doesn't mean you are of a certain race of people.

I had to set my daughter-in- law straight. She thought just because her parents were born in Mexico that she was a Mexican. No, being Mexican is a nationality and she was born in the U.S.A. so she is a American.

I used to surf with some ( White) guys that were South Africans and they immigrated to the U.S. Guess what? They are African Americans. If you're black and were born in the U.S.A. you are American. If a black immigrates to America from Africa he or she is a African American.

Last pet peeve. My daughter's ex boyfriend was black and they have two kids. That maks our two grandsons mixed race and NOT black. If you said they are black that means our daughter and we ( my wife and I ) never existed.
So, Barack Obama was not a African American, and certainly not the first African American president or black president. By saying he is means is mother and grandparents never existed.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

People get so caught up in race when it really doesn't matter. All races have their plusses and minuses. We are NOT all equal. The world will never be. But to act and legislate like we are is rediculous. Rejoice in our differences. Isn't that what 'diversity' means?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
People get so caught up in race when it really doesn't matter. All races have their plusses and minuses. We are NOT all equal. The world will never be. But to act and legislate like we are is rediculous. Rejoice in our differences. Isn't that what 'diversity' means?

Race doesn't matter if you are part of the dominant ruling one.

We should rejoice in our cultural differences without a doubt and we should legislate in order to give all human beings a level playing field. As part of the human race we are equals.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Yes, of course we all should be on a level playing field regarding taxes, laws, etc. But quotas based on race is counter productive.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Yes, of course we all should be on a level playing field regarding taxes, laws, etc. But quotas based on race is counter productive.

Quotas based on race is racist in itself.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:

Here is the twist on all of that. There are white europeans that were born in Mexico and when you are born in a country that is your national origin. When you say you are Mexican it doesn't mean you are of a certain race of people.

However, a majority of the countries do not allow birthright citizenship, & most of those that do, require at least one of the parents to be a citizen of that country.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Helfen wrote:

However, a majority of the countries do not allow birthright citizenship, & most of those that do, require at least one of the parents to be a citizen of that country.

There are 30 countries that offer birthright citizenship, including almost all countries in the Western Hemisphere. Most birthright citizenships do not require one parent to be citizen of that country to pass on citizenship. Obtaining citizenship through blood (a parent) is a whole different legal situation.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

It’s nice to sit around and hit the pipe with talk of equality, inclusion and diversity and fairness,but looking back it has always been the same. The stronger group or tribe takes over killing off the weaker guys, impregnating the women while gaining land and resources. Should we expect something different? Have we learned anything from the past?
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Helfen wrote:

I'm talking about Europeans that immigrated to Mexico and became citizens. Now whatever country they came from lets say Germany, they would become German Mexicans and their kids would just be Mexicans.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
It’s nice to sit around and hit the pipe with talk of equality, inclusion and diversity and fairness,but looking back it has always been the same. The stronger group or tribe takes over killing off the weaker guys, impregnating the women while gaining land and resources. Should we expect something different? Have we learned anything from the past?

No. And it will always be this way. It's human nature.....whether it's another tribe, country or your own govt.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

So, next year when the census comes around, and i leave the race/ethnicity line blank, with a note saying how can we end predjudice if we keep pigeonholing people, what do you think will happen?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I think that depends on who "we" is.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
So, next year when the census comes around, and i leave the race/ethnicity line blank, with a note saying how can we end predjudice if we keep pigeonholing people, what do you think will happen?

They won't count you. If they don't count you-you won't be represented.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Don't worry, they'll just read the RF chip they embedded in you last time you were in a hospital. Grocery stores, gas stations, airports, ... they all track you.
Shocked
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Words you have come to detest strongly(formerly "hate") Reply with quote

Not quite yet, but soon.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: