Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA pin clips
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: AA pin clips Reply with quote

I THINK I can see a sharp edge on one side of these wrist pin clips or am I seeing things? Please don't get into the button vs clip thing, just want to know if there is a sharp side out on these clips. Thanks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

Yes. You can feel the sharper edge with your fingers. The smoother (rounded) side faces the wrist pin.
The sharper edge of the cir-clip bites into the wrist pin groove while facing the cylinder wall.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

Great, thanks!
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

Also count your clips! After installing my cylinder heads and coming back the next day I noticed a clip on my bench. Dang I thought I missed one. After disassembling all four cylinders, all clips were in place. They had sent an extra one and I did not notice.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:
Also count your clips! After installing my cylinder heads and coming back the next day I noticed a clip on my bench. Dang I thought I missed one. After disassembling all four cylinders, all clips were in place. They had sent an extra one and I did not notice.

That's a classic: when visiting the workshop of someone who just closed the longblock, drop a clip on the floor. It only works if you know which clips were used, though...and let them in on the joke, don't let the poor sucker re-open the case, that's just shitty.

But those few moments of panic: priceless...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

The importance of getting the clip the right way is not the only important thing. If you get it wrong it will probably still work. It is also important to orient the gap the right way, usually toward crank for high revs, or toward piston top for tractors. The ends of the piston pin should be square, and the end play of the pin between the clips should be .003-.016, or something near that anyway. Not too tight, not terribly loose.
IF the clip gets beat out, it is usually because the connecting rod is slightly bent thus side loading the pin, or the pin is getting side loaded for other reasons. EMPI clips are slightly wider than AA's clips and will probably fit.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The importance of getting the clip the right way is not the only important thing. If you get it wrong it will probably still work. It is also important to orient the gap the right way, usually toward crank for high revs, or toward piston top for tractors. The ends of the piston pin should be square, and the end play of the pin between the clips should be .003-.016, or something near that anyway. Not too tight, not terribly loose.
IF the clip gets beat out, it is usually because the connecting rod is slightly bent thus side loading the pin, or the pin is getting side loaded for other reasons. EMPI clips are slightly wider than AA's clips and will probably fit.

Stupid question here, but why difference regarding rpm? I thought it was more about rod ratio, which determines where the highest Gs are, tdc or bdc. Just curious.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

One guy taught me to put the gap up, and.....I don't think he's wrong, but if you ask the high performance guys they will tell you to put the gap down, and....maybe it doesn't really matter, but I betcha nobody will tell you to put the gap sideways.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

modok wrote:
One guy taught me to put the gap up, and.....I don't think he's wrong, but if you ask the high performance guys they will tell you to put the gap down, and....maybe it doesn't really matter, but I betcha nobody will tell you to put the gap sideways.

Thanks!
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

The UK equivalent to GEX...
8 clips? - Check.
All fitted? - Check.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

The Engine Shop?
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
The Engine Shop?
Elite VW or is it VW Elite.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

You have to make sure the clips are in the groove.

So I do not forget, I prep the pistons with one circlip already in the other side once they are in the cylinders. So when I push the pins thru the rod end I only have to witness one clip going in. Clip goes in the groove and I turn it a little to make sure. Then I push with my finger on the clip. Eyeball both of the clips before I push the cylinders down.

A lot of people still install the pistons first by themselves and then slide the cylinders on them after. It is way simpler to install the pistons already in the cylinders. Apply the sealer on the bottom and slide down. Easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

Yes, that's how I do it also. So much easier then trying to put the cyl over the piston on the engine. After installing the clip I also turn it a little with the clip pliers either side of 6:00 and then push around the clip circumference with a small punch, then inspect it with a magnifying glass. Shocked then seat the cylinder. I put the ultra black on the cyl base before I install the piston on the rod.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:

So you got the one i was missing. Wound up using a set of Berg clips that i had for emergency.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AA pin clips Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
So you got the one i was missing. Wound up using a set of Berg clips that i had for emergency.

Ha, big surprise Rolling Eyes

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: