Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

Troops,

I'm about to try and undertake this job. I know that the GW Aux Kit isn't the favored one here - but I purchased it a couple months ago - prior to reading all of these threads.

Now that I have the GW kit - I wasn't able to find the answers (while searching) to a few questions I have:

1) Do I truly need to remove the driver's seat and cut through the metal swivel seat with a saw to access this area? Is there any way around this? It seems SO crude. And not something I knew I was going to need to do. I got the GW battery too - which is a smaller aux one. Has anyone figured out a way to slide the seat forward or something and be able to stick the battery and install the relay etc without cutting through the swivel seat? I also got the charger - but I wouldn't cut through the swivel just to install that there. I bet someone here has found a better spot for it (like inside the cabinetry).

2) Is there any alternative to cutting through the fuse box wires and taping them off? I have an 85.

Thanks so much for any help. Huzzah to the endless jobs! Leaving for Seattle (from LA) with the fam on Friday and have to finish this, putting in a new rear heater core and some radiator baffles before leaving Wink AND work a full time job... and raise a toddler.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

Could you live without doing this mod for the time being and do it when you get back from Seattle? I know very little on the details of doing this mod but if I knew I was departing soon, I would question myself if I should do it right now.

Craig
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Could you live without doing this mod for the time being and do it when you get back from Seattle? I know very little on the details of doing this mod but if I knew I was departing soon, I would question myself if I should do it right now.

Good point.
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

Unless you absolutely need the aux power, I'd hold off too. I really despise that aux kit... They make some great parts and mods, but that thing is trash. You will need to replace it soon if you want to tap into any serious aux power system. Grab a Yandina combiner and just wire into your main batt in parallel, imo. If you have a full Westy, you will have to splice in at your fuse box in order to redirect the camper circuits to your aux batt.
YosemiteBound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

Dang. Unsure how to proceed with this thing now. We def need aux power for the stereo and reading lights as we camp... And I have this setup and the battery.

Anyone have luck with it?
67SingleCabGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

YosemiteBound wrote:
Troops,

I know that the GW Aux Kit isn't the favored one here

OK now you have my attention as I had no idea this Kit was supposedly junk and bought it months ago during a SALE and was going to put it in Spring time.

SO what is the preferred method of hooking up an Aux Battery.

Thanks
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

YosemiteBound wrote:
Dang. Unsure how to proceed with this thing now. We def need aux power for the stereo and reading lights as we camp... And I have this setup and the battery.

Anyone have luck with it?

If it's just a couple of LEDs and a couple of hours of music, your starter battery will do (if well charged and in good shape). Monitor the voltage.
How many days without starting the engine do you expect to camp each time ?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

By an aux battery pack and either use that for your modest power needs or use your car battery and jump start as needed.

The first step of any aux power install is to evaluate needs, not buy hardware

90% of DIY dont possess the skill to safely install aux power , either. Maybe 95%.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

I don't know why they have you cut through the swivel seat base. GW was removing the seat swivel for installing a Recaro driver's seat. If you don't plan to remove the seat base, I would not cut it up.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

YB: I also bought the GW aux battery kit before I knew it was "junk." It's been working just fine for me for almost 2 years, we run a fan, lights, and charge things off it mostly- use a bluetooth speaker in camp rather than the van stereo which, on my van, is wired in differently because of the amp under passenger seat and doesn't work with the kit.

Anyway, just saying, it might not be the preferred set up, but it works so I ain't going to fix it.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

The GoWesty kit "works" as lots of people know, it is just inferior in some respects as others have learned the hard way.

If your aux charging needs are small enough, the GW setup may be enough.

To get best access to the area under the driver seat, remove the driver seat and then spin the seat swivel plate 180 degrees. It doesn't block the battery recess when turned 180 degrees.

Mark
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

Hi Yosemite Bound. There is no way I would cut out the swivel base. I have watched the gowesty video on how to install the aux battery kit. In the video it says the base was removed to install aftermarket seats not to install the battery kit. If you already have the battery and the kit you could just install the battery with a full charge and use it without the ability to charge it until you get as far as installing the rest of the kit. I have a small battery powered lantern I hang from the pop top bar for light that I also use when I camp in a tent(about half the time). For music I use a blue tooth speaker. When I camp with my family I have to run a medical device off the vans battery which uses more power than your lights and radio. I just bring a spare battery to jumpstart the van but it has never been necessary. I would like to have a aux battery set up but it has not made it to the top of my list yet. I say just go camping. John
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

Here's the instructional video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRm1eUSJcnU

He's installing under a non-swivel seat. As crazyvwvanman noted, for the swivel, you just spin it 180 degrees.
67SingleCabGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The GoWesty kit "works" as lots of people know, it is just inferior in some respects as others have learned the hard way.

Would someone be able to post a link or links to what the best available way is to hook up an Aux battery?

I'm searching and getting a lot of threads talking about Aux battery but yet to find one where people discuss various methods to install one.

Thanks
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

67SingleCabGuy wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Would someone be able to post a link or links to what the best available way is to hook up an Aux battery?

I'm searching and getting a lot of threads talking about Aux battery but yet to find one where people discuss various methods to install one.

Thanks

Check the FAQ- there are many, many threads with myriad approaches.
Some people call him Maurice...
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

Turn the seat and remove it. Turn the swivel to access the space. Its real easy to remove the seat base and reinstall as well.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Aux Battery Kit Install Methods Reply with quote

If you want the best possible outcome from this, route an 8-gauge wire out the main battery compartment, under the floor, and into the aux battery box. Fuse where it connects to the main battery + terminal. Use HD grommets in the holes where the cable goes through the boxes. Then disregard using any red wires off the existing relay under the seat as GW instructs. The new cable, connect to one side of the relay on the large terminal, the other route another 8-gauge wire to the + of the new aux battery. Doing this alleviates the biggest problem in this so-called 'kit' - the decreased charge voltage inherent in how they designed it. Your battery will last much longer since it will now receive a full charge. Also, if you are running a wbx, replace the voltage regulator in the alternator with the adjustable unit from davebarton.com, adjusted to 14.2V. But then, if you had just bought the excellent Victron Energy Cyrix-ct 12/24V-120A Intelligent Battery Combiner, some wire and terminals...you'd have a more reliable system all around. Wink (sorry, 'Yandina lovers' - the Victron is a better product)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: