Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best defense against brine
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Whats the best way to combat the ubiquitous use of this caustic , salty, poisonous , crap they now Evil or Very Mad use on the roads when there is evev a threat of snow? I've emailed my senators and Dmv to ask them to stop, falls on deaf ears. Seems they can all buy new cars every four years so they dont care.!!
Not only does it kill our cars , but it kills all the wildlife in our streams , and wetlands. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad

Any who , does anyone have a good method to limit this corrosion.

Sorry for the rant, but i did use Oxford commas. 😬
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Some of us mudders put sprinklers under our trucks to clean undercarriages.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

like you, I've written to the authorities (in the uk) to highlight the effects of this stuff on the natural environment. my beetle is not driven on the roads when the salt is down but now they've started gritting the cycle paths I use so my bike's turning brown! Rolling Eyes
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

The sprinkler works reasonably well, an under car nozzle for a pressure washer works even better (bunch of nozzles pointing up on wheels with a long wand).
But that's not going to do anything for the dust that crap creates if it's been applied over numerous dry days, it gets into parts of the car you never imagined it could, far beyond where anything splashes. I used to drive my bus in the winter if it was cool and dry, the way that dust burns my sinuses now I don't dare expose any precious vehicles to it. Crying or Very sad

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

We sell these bad boys at Viking Industrial Systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrbPlu3pAA

Absolutely the best rotating undercarriage washer. Like a high pressure, controlled sprinkler- it jets water in every conceivable angle and cranny- just with small movements by the operator. It does like high pressure and is built with strong enough components and seals to survive hot water. On the quick 1 min. video watch the jet spray as the operator runs it under the pickup between cab and bed. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

You could go off on public officials...the brine eats bridge beams and bearings, causing the highway department to make repairs. Oh, wait, who spreads the brine on the road? Sounds like fraud to me.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Yep, my brother is working on a bridge on 287 over the Raritan river.
Salt has rotted the beams.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Oil undercoat. The oil is heated and sprayed on under pressure. It runs into every nook and cranny where sprayed.. My 15 year old Silverado still has its original cab corners, wheel arches, bumpers etc. Its rust free due to yearly oil uc treatment and I live in Vermont where the salt comes out with the first snowflake.
This is probably not an easy business to get up and running nowadays and Im sure the owner has his hands full dealing with environmental laws. But it works 100%.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Where is this guy located? If you could let me know that would be superb. We are in Montgomery ,Vt.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Where is this guy located? If you could let me know that would be superb. We are in Montgomery ,Vt.

Carrara's Hot Oil Undercoating, 9547 Cold River Road! Cuttingsville Vermont.
802-492-3339

My truck 2004extended cab short box was $125.00. Prices vary by vehicle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

what is best to wash salt off with - cold or hot water?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Powerwasher - then undercoat anything you don't want to rust.

The salts are killing our rivers. Pretty soon there wont be anymore freshwater fishes.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

I may have read it on this site, but someone mentioned getting a garden pump sprayer and putting oil in it and then spraying all underneath the chassis.

I’ve done this now 4 years in a row... just bought a gallon of WD40 and add a little of my used motor oil.... park it in your neighbors drive way and have at it.... saturate everything with the exception of the brake rotors...

My truck is an 07 bought used and it’s lived in Michigan for five years... no rust yet.... can’t say my method has saved it, but so far it looks really nice underneath, even the guy at the oil change shop commented on how clean it is underneath.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

finster wrote:

Salt will dissolve quicker in hot water.

anthracitedub wrote:
I may have read it on this site, but someone mentioned getting a garden pump sprayer and putting oil in it and then spraying all underneath the chassis.

Just curious, why oil?

Last edited by FullFender on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Yeah, too late for this rig 01 gmc 2500 120,000 miles runs like a champ.
Next one is gonna get fluid film/bar oil warmed up and sprayed every 6 mos.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Whats the best way to combat the ubiquitous use of this caustic , salty, poisonous , crap they now Evil or Very Mad use on the roads when there is evev a threat of snow?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
finster wrote:

Salt will dissolve quicker in hot water.

anthracitedub wrote:

Just curious, why oil?

Kinda meant just to slow the corrosive effects of the salty brine on the chassis and sheet metal of the vehicle.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
calvinater wrote:
Whats the best way to combat the ubiquitous use of this caustic , salty, poisonous , crap they now Evil or Very Mad use on the roads when there is evev a threat of snow?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Best answer yet!

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

so where is the EPA on the salt issue causing all the harm....to everything...I live on the gulf of mexiaco, salt added to the roads isant a issue somuch hear....most of the tyme. Wink might be why it snows so much hear....
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best defense against brine Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so where is the EPA

Trump again targets EPA with ‘punishing’ budget cuts

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: